Should I Get Another Cat?

yvonnepum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

So I have been thinking about getting my cat another friend for a while, and now my bf and I finally reached a point where we think we are ready for another fur baby.

My cat is a 4 years old boy. I adopted him when he was 3 months old from a local shelter. The reason why I want to have another one is because he can has some company when I am not home or even when I am at home. However, my cat is what the shelter called "the shy cat" when I decided to adopt him. I wouldn't say he is shy, but he is definitely the kind of cat needs a longer times to get to know you before he gets any closer. It took him a month to finally goes on to the cat tree I bought him... He is also extremely sensitive to sounds and will freak out whenever it is too loud. But other than that, he is very energetic, loves to play any games. He also follows me all round the house every single second, which I think getting another cat can let him find something to do other than just following me... and he will always be within my sight. He loves attention, and he is also very talkative.

So I am wondering, what would you guys suggest me to do? Should I get another kitty and should I get a boy or girl? Or even a dog (we can only do small or medium size dog)? And if any of you have similar experience in the past, I would love to hear your journey too!

Thanks!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ordinarily I'd say get one only if YOU want one, not to be a companion for your resident cat, but given that your resident cat is skittish, I'm going to do something I don't usually do, and say do not get another cat absent special circumstances. The chance that your resident cat will be seriously stressed for a relatively long time is high, and the chance that they will ever become friends is not great. Its always a dice roll, but with your cat being skittish, the odds are not in your favor.

There may be some limited circumstances where it could make sense. For example, if you are adopting an adult cat known to be good with other cats and with a tolerant low key personality from an organization that will allow you to return the cat if things go poorly. This isn't a perfect solution though, since in the real world it will likely take time to see if things are going to work out, and by that point you might be heartbroken if it doesn't work. (Kittens are easier in some ways, but harder in others, as many many adult cats, especially skittish ones, react very poorly to their energy level.)

If you doubt that this is the correct advice, you have only to read a few pages worth of this forum. People post problems, sometimes serious, introducing a new cat to a resident older than two. It tends to be easier if your resident cat is under two, and harder if your resident cat is low energy or skittish. It does usually get better with time, but they don't always get all the way to toleration, much less friendship, so its a poor gamble with a skittish resident cat.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

BelSognare

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Since your cat is very sensitive it will be more challenging for you to bring in another cat. The first poster pointed out some crucial points. The chips aren't in your cat's favor. But, I wouldn't say it's impossible for you! I do not suggest getting a dog though. In my experience I find it takes longer and much more work for cats to feel comfortable around them (and that's if they ever do). Dogs are often are very loud, big, and at times will try to chase cats (usually to play)so it's not difficult to see why cats would be easily frightened.

Another piece of advice, I would stay away from another male. Cats are very hierarchical, and males tend to be more aggressive (especially unneutered), but that's not true in all cases. Every cat is different!

If getting another cat is something you feel strongly about then please do your research on cat introductions, limiting stress in your household, and scent swapping. Find a flexible (and ethical) organization that will work with you. Be prepared emotionally though if it doesn't work out with the new cat.

Please also ensure you are financially able to care for another kitty. Adding one more cat, shouldn't increase your expenses exponentially. But if the other cat gets sick do you have enough resources to care for both of them? Vet bills can be very expensive. Please consider this.

Let us know if you have any questions....and when you get time check out Furballs links!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not suggest getting a dog though. In my experience I find it takes longer and much more work for cats to feel comfortable around them (and that's if they ever do). Dogs are often are very loud, big, and at times will try to chase cats (usually to play)so it's not difficult to see why cats would be easily frightened.
I would agree with that unless you find a very, very quiet and timid dog. As said above, dogs bound around like crazy when they want to play and cats don't appreciate that one bit in my experience.