Should I get a third cat?

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Catlovers. I have Yuki, who is 2 and Mittens who is 12. Theirs is not a match made in heaven. No one is injured; no blood drawn or fur flying but there is a lot of hissing, spitting and occasionally, a shriek. To be fair, I think its that Yuki may want to play - and Mittens does not. Not with him, anyway. Sometimes they will sit on the same step together but mostly they keep their distance. I am wondering if a third cat would help - or make matters worse. And, if a third cat would make matters worse, what would I do? Thoughts appreciated.

Cosmic76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahh the impossible question. You can't know for sure, one cat could come in and be everyone's best mate or it could be a nightmare. My gut instinct is, Mittens didn't appreciate her younger friend, so another young cat wouldn't improve matters. It might be a nice playmate for Yuki, but Mittens would probably still get hassle. You could consider adopting a cat that is used to other cats and is a bit older, but again, you can never know how it will work out. You could be lucky. I've only ever introduced kittens and it's always had varying degrees of success, right now I'm having a battle to get a 2 year old to accept an 8 month old.. its a trial by fire unfortunately!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Right. I had three cats once; and the two boys wound up kind of leaving the female alone - but sometimes they would gang up on her. I think I want another cat for selfish reasons as well - I want a cat that will be very affectionate with me, and will hang out with me, and cuddle a lot - and neither of my current 2 do that much, if at all....sigh.