Should I get a second male cat or a female cat?

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey,

I have a 1 year 2 month Maine Coon Male - very energetic. I want to get him a friend - I'm planning to get a Siamese. My Maine Coon is neutered - whichever gender I get, will be spay/neutered. So - will a MALE Maine Coon cat get along better with another male or a female?

Any opinions are appreciated!!!

Thanks

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, size is definitely a difference that persists into adulthood with spayed/neutered cats, with males being bigger than females, on average. Maybe its reduced if you spay/neuter very early, but it seems that there is a lasting difference even if you take care of it at 6 months or so. Its not such a huge deal when there is a huge size difference between cats, but it does interfere with the play some. And you could have a huge difference between a main coon male and siamese female. So it makes sense to me to match the genders. Just a small advantage that is easy to give them.

I've got an 11 pound male and 8 pound female now that are friends. They are friendly and do play. But its generally cut short because the female feels discomfort when it gets too rough. I'm quite certain they would play more if the sizes were more equal.

Not the biggest deal, and given that things are random, you could end up with a small siamese male. So its certainly something that you can disregard, but I'd say its a factor to consider.

Last edited: