Should I evan think about another dog

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy

Sharky and all those interested on acquiring a breed that will blend nicely into the home...Here is a good breed selector to take online and a good starting point when acquiring the perfect pup for your lifestyle:

http://www.ckc.ca/Default.aspx?tabid=136
thank you here are my results... I will put the ones I know little about in green... ones I know arent for me in red..

this is the long haired list... ...
Breed Score
Australian Shepherd
97% ]
Alaskan Malamute
97%
Eurasier
97%

Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
97%

Irish Red & White Setter
97%

Puli
97%

Siberian Husky
97%
English Setter
97%
Gordon Setter
97%

Irish Setter
97%
Berger Picard
95%

Rough Collie
95%
Smooth Collie
95%
Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
95%
English Springer Spaniel
95%

Belgian Shepherd Dog
93%
Bernese Mountain Dog
93%
Greenland Dog
93%

German Shepherd Dog
93%
Standard Schnauzer
93%

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
here is low maintence coat list
Breed Score
Bullmastiff
97%
Australian Cattle Dog
97%
American Foxhound
97%
Kerry Blue Terrier
97%
German Longhaired Pointer
97%
Labrador Retriever
97%
Borzoi
95%
Karelian Bear Dog
95%
Mastiff
95%
Norwegian Elkhound
95%
Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen
95%
Pointer
95%
Miniature Poodle
95%
French Spaniel
95%
Canadian Eskimo Dog
93%
Keeshond
93%
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
93%
American Water Spaniel
93%
Welsh Springer Spaniel
93%
Airedale Terrier
90%

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
medium coats
Breed Score
Borzoi
97%
Karelian Bear Dog
97%
Mastiff
97%
Norwegian Elkhound
97%
Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen
97%
Pointer
97%
Miniature Poodle
97%
French Spaniel
97%
Canadian Eskimo Dog
95%
Keeshond
95%
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
95%
American Water Spaniel
95%
Welsh Springer Spaniel
95%
Airedale Terrier
93%
Akita
93%
Afghan Hound
93%
Black and Tan Coonhound
93%
Doberman Pinscher
93%
Pudelpointer
93%
Chesapeake Bay Retriever
93%

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

She's a Shepherd and Pit Bull mix...
Oh, and Pedro told me to tell you he's a Chihuahua/Papillon mix...
Pedro honey your a doll but Gigi would think someone your size was a snack...

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I know a good german shepard breeder and she is planning on her boy fathering a litter this spring or summer.... The last litter was gorgeous all 11 of them... Both mom and dad have good pedegrees and the price is reasonable..

I am just wondering if I would be spreading myself to thin with the fish , Mom and soon to be three cats and Gigi ....

I am asking for opnions so bring them on..
Just a word of warning and you can ask your friend if his male has been tested. GSD have been known to have hip displaysia even with good pedigrees.

This is a very costly problem to fix and very painful for the animal aflicted with it, as the hips are not formed correctly and need to be surgically corrected.

Ask to see the OFA certification of the dog to see if it passed or not. If he doesn't have the certification or at least a vet certification that the dog does not have dysplasia, I would pass on the puppies. I know that there are other breed specific problems that the dogs should be checked for as well, but am not that familiur with the GSD.

Make sure that any dog from a shelter has had it's hips checked as vet costs will be through the roof if there is a problem.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DragonLady

Just a word of warning and you can ask your friend if his male has been tested. GSD have been known to have hip displaysia even with good pedigrees.

This is a very costly problem to fix and very painful for the animal aflicted with it, as the hips are not formed correctly and need to be surgically corrected.

Ask to see the OFA certification of the dog to see if it passed or not. If he doesn't have the certification or at least a vet certification that the dog does not have dysplasia, I would pass on the puppies. I know that there are other breed specific problems that the dogs should be checked for as well, but am not that familiur with the GSD.

Make sure that any dog from a shelter has had it's hips checked as vet costs will be through the roof if there is a problem.
Yup... the father is free and so is the mother and about three generations back ... Having had one I knew to ask that

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something to think about - since Gigi is a girl, you'll probably want to get a male, to avoid potential for conflict. Two dogs of the same sex will tend to vie for Alpha status, but you can have an Alpha female and an Alpha male in the same household live quite peacefully together.

There are some potential negatives to having more than one dog - double the boarding and vet expenses, training is more difficult, and if your existing dog has any bad habits (separation anxiety, dog aggression, fears, destructiveness) they may rub off on the new dog too.

You'll need to be consistent with training & stay in charge, because any number of dogs greater than one can become a pack, so they may be more likely to do things they wouldn't consider normally, such as chasing the cats, tearing things up, or running away.

But it can also be very nice to have two dogs - as long as they hit it off well, it can be a joy to see them play together, and they really do enjoy the companionship of an all-the-time buddy when you're away.

Another thing to be sure to do if you get another dog - it's important to make sure to take each dog out away from the other for a while on a regular basis, so they don't become overly dependent on each other and get stressed-out if the other dog has to go to the vet or something.

Spreading yourself too thin is a definite concern - you'll have a lot of pets needing your attention and care, so I'm glad you're thinking about it carefully before you come to a decision.

Originally Posted by menagerie mama

I don't want to offend anyone by my breed choices, and I'm not saying they're ALL like this but...
The best mutts, from what I've seen in my professions, are like Shepherd/Lab mixes.

Personally I'd vote for a shelter dog - I could go on forever about how great my mutts are.
They're both Shepherd/Lab/mystery dogs. They're both laid-back in the house and active outside, and gentle with the cats.

You can screen shelter dogs for their response to cats - if the staff will let you take the dog by the cat enclosure or have a supervised meet with a dog-friendly cat, look for a dog who wags his tail and tries to touch noses with the cats or sniff their behinds (sees the cats as potential friends), or who is calm and turns his head away from a staring cat (submissive to cats), but you don't want the dog to be actively afraid of the cats because a frightened dog may bite if pushed too far.

Avoid dogs who stare intently at the cats with a stiff or slowly moving tail, or who bark or lunge at them, or try to chase them (all signs the dog sees the cat as potential prey). Avoid hunting breeds or mixes - terriers and hounds are not a good idea - there are exceptions, of course, but better safe than sorry. Before adoption, you'll also want to make sure the shelter will allow to return the dog if there are any serious problems.

OK, sorry for the long message. Whatever your decision, best wishes!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want a dog that is biggish but pretty low maintenance I'd go for a lab. They are BEAUTIFUL dogs, so gorgeous, so loving, so intelligent (yes, highly trainable) and just lovely and loyal. However, they are mental nuts as puppies (not all, but most).

Also, Golden Retrievers are just beautiful, and except for the long hair, all of the above applies.

However LABRADOODLES are fantastic!! I have to say that because I've got two, and you might have some trouble finding one at a shelter, too. They don't shed, they are insanely intelligent, they are loving and joyful and loyal and happy dogs. But they are pretty hyperactive until adulthood so you will have your hands full for a while. But that's pretty much the same with all dogs.

I'd go a lab, if you can. If you can get an ex-Guide Dog lab then even better still!

catlover67

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I love labs for that reason. Once they get beyond that puppy stage, most of them turn into big couch potatoes. They're smart, loyal, loving, and mellow as they get older.
Not necessarily. Has anyone read Marley and Me? Even though they kept him, the dog was a neurotic, hyper, mess of a dog.

catlover67

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
KitEKats4Eva! said:
If you want a dog that is biggish but pretty low
However LABRADOODLES are fantastic!! I have to say that because I've got two, and you might have some trouble finding one at a shelter, too. They don't shed, they are insanely intelligent, they are loving and joyful and loyal and happy dogs. But they are pretty hyperactive until adulthood so you will have your hands full for a while. But that's pretty much the same with all dogs.

Actually, Labradoodles (which are a high-priced mixed breed) DO shed. It is a myth perpetuated by breeders that they don't. They shed LESS, but still shed.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover67

Actually, Labradoodles (which are a high-priced mixed breed) DO shed. It is a myth perpetuated by breeders that they don't. They shed LESS, but still shed.
In Australia they're considered a pure breed - the Standard Labradoodle. And yes, some do shed. Mine don't. Only Ruby, occasionally after a bath, will lose some hairs. But aside from that, nothing! And if you go to a decent breeder (here, anyway) they don't cost that much - certainly nothing like a poodle or a lab!

Ours are the offspring of three generations of Standard Labradoodles, they are not simply a mix of a lab and a poodle chucked together. I think this is why we got such good ones. There are, of course, always going to be BYBs who throw a poodle and lab together and call the outcome a Labradoodle.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
with two soon to be three cats shedding isnt a huge issue...

Yes I would get a male... Gigi is alpha I already know...

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our male is SO much more mellow than our female. Who knows why?? She is definitely alpha as far as they are concerned although he's starting to challenge her a bit as he gets older. In a mellow way...lol.

The little guy fell asleep during his first training session! You can't get much more laid back than that. He held a `sit' for so long (I wasn't asking him to, either) that he just curled up on the spot and slept for an hour. I had to restrain myself from squeezing him to death with the world's most intense bear-hug!
I took a pic because it had to be done.... :

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Inquiring minds want to know - with all the suggestions, have you made a decision or narrowed down your choices?

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover67

Not necessarily. Has anyone read Marley and Me? Even though they kept him, the dog was a neurotic, hyper, mess of a dog.
That's so funny you posted this. Just today our vets at work were talking about this book, and they both have Labs so they were relating to the story. They also said how they both
while reading it, so I'm gonna have to see what the fuss is all about!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will look at the local shelter and look into some of the dogs on the list s... and labradoodles if I can find a breeder not just throwing a lab and a poodle together.. Maybe like Frankie a dog in need that fits will find me..

still welcoming suggetions

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

In Australia they're considered a pure breed - the Standard Labradoodle. And yes, some do shed. Mine don't. Only Ruby, occasionally after a bath, will lose some hairs. But aside from that, nothing! And if you go to a decent breeder (here, anyway) they don't cost that much - certainly nothing like a poodle or a lab!

Ours are the offspring of three generations of Standard Labradoodles, they are not simply a mix of a lab and a poodle chucked together. I think this is why we got such good ones. There are, of course, always going to be BYBs who throw a poodle and lab together and call the outcome a Labradoodle.
Wasn't aware of this in Aus.? Does the predominant breed registry accept them as a breed or some smaller registry? Labradoodles and any high priced mix over here (shih-poo, peke-a-poo, etc, etc.) are looked at in a negative light over here due to their new novelty-ness (if that is a word) and because they aren't a true purebred (according to top breeders and AKC). They are mainly sold by BYB's and pet stores (pet stores are overflowing with them
) even if they claim a few generations back.
Not to say that your dogs aren't precious babies
but you may get some backs up touting a labradoodle and this is why...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy

Wasn't aware of this in Aus.? Does the predominant breed registry accept them as a breed or some smaller registry? Labradoodles and any high priced mix over here (shih-poo, peke-a-poo, etc, etc.) are looked at in a negative light over here due to their new novelty-ness (if that is a word) and because they aren't a true purebred (according to top breeders and AKC). They are mainly sold by BYB's and pet stores (pet stores are overflowing with them
) even if they claim a few generations back.
Not to say that your dogs aren't precious babies
but you may get some backs up touting a labradoodle and this is why...
I have seen this too... but I have to add i know that they have been breed for over 30 years so someone may be doing it right
..I place them with the cokapoo which is not a breed alone but also has a history..