Should I bring stray kittens to shelter?

Mollkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a litter of 9 week old stray kittens living in the locked driveway of an abandoned house on my street. Their mom has been around, but the past two nights a kitten has died each night :( and mommy has not removed the bodies (i can't get to them myself).
A few weeks ago they all had goopy eyes but were still playing and they looked to be getting better until now. It has also gotten much colder this week, in the 50's at night.
The mom is feral and I doubt i would be able to catch her. The kittens also usually stay behind a locked gate that I can't get past.
So my question is should I try to trap the kittens and bring them to a shelter even if I can't get mom? What if I can only get one or two of the kittens? I unfortunately can't take them in myself.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, please please please get them to a no kill shelter. If you leave them, more and more will continue to reproduce. Ask for some help if needed. Also please try to trap the mom. Even if you have to release her after spay, it will make her life so much easier. If she does not get spayed she will only continue to produce more and more kittens.

Thank you for caring about these kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mollkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The other issue is that the no kill shelters here have limited space

Mollkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The aspca has a waiting list. I have been on the phone all day trying to find no kill shelters, apparently my city has a way more homeless animals than space for them.
Idk what to do im afraid the ones that are left might die if i don't bring them somewhere, but if they require a little extra work to get used to people because they are feral, the shelter might euthanize them

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Put yourself on a waiting list.

If you can't get a hold of them, could you please ask your vet for an antibiotic to put in their food? I did that once with a group of feral cats I was feeding, I put some Clavamox into some tuna and gave it to the one cat who had an infection, after a few days the infection cleared up.

Fifties should be okay, as long as they have some shelter.

Mollkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Other neighbors and i have been feeding them. The antibiotic seems like something to try, but i suspect they may be eating poison, i saw them going into a buildings basement and a lot of landlords leave rat poison out.
I spent another day trying to find somewhere to bring them today. Another one is looking very sick now and the city shelter made it sound like they would euthanize her if i brought her in. I am really disgusted by my city right now, there is so much money floating around here but none of the organizations i called care to help dying kittens!?
If i wasn't raising another kitten i found in the street I would bring them in with me temporarily, but I have nowhere to keep them from mine so he doesn't get sick.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have a spare bathroom or laundry room?