Should I Bring in 1 or 2 New Cats?

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

After my 16yo senior cat passed away last year, my now 5yo cat (Sushi) became the only one in the house. I want to adopt again to give Sushi a companion, one similar in age in the hopes that they'll bond better (similar life stage and energy level and all that). Back when my senior cat was still around, they co-existed peacefully but were never lovely-dovey with each other.

I was going to adopt just 1, and am still looking at my local shelters, when I came across a bonded pair that I'm interested in. My questions are:
1. If I adopt the pair, given that they are already bonded, will Sushi still be left out? Or is it possible for the three of them to all bond well equally?
2. I've never had more than 2 cats. How much more work is it to have 3? I live in a one-bedroom apartment and have two litterboxes.
3. For the bonded pair, one has 1 disabled hindleg while the other has both hindlegs disabled, but the shelter says they both can and do use the litterbox properly. At this time I don't have more info, but I'm guessing that means that the disability is just in the legs not the spines or butt muscles? (Sorry I know very little about the medical side of things.)

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Last edited:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With two cats, there's only one relationship. With more, it becomes many more relationships between the three, with attendant complexities. Fortunately my three are all bonded to each other. I'd be more anxious about how the disabilities will affect their relationships. Do you have any experience with cats having mobility issues?

That they're all about the same age will help some, I think.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
So much depends on the personalities of the cats in my experience, and how much space (horizontal, verticle, and ability for each cat to feel safe) you can make available for them. Should consider what's needed for safe introduction period, general life together, and as tthe cats age and abilities change as that usually means their relationships have to readjust.

As for the difference in how much work there is for 3 rather than 2.... I only have experience of going from 1 to 2 but from friends' experience I can safely say it multiplies at least as much for each addition. Think litter scooping, food bowls, entertainment, sharing your attention so each cat feels safe and content. Then there's the cost of the extra food, litter and vet bills. Not to be forgotten. It does all add up.

If the cats get on well though there are few better things in life than watching them interacting and hopefully playing and grooming together.

Think about your current cat and how they seem now they are on their own. Do they seem to enjoy their space or missing a certain something?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your food for thought, V vince and mservant mservant . As much as I want to help the bonded disabled pair, after careful consideration I'll stick to getting just one more cat. It's more manageable and realistic.