Should i breed my female cat with good genetics?

la flame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so i bought this kitten when she was 2 months old. Her name is Khaleesi. She is currently 5 months old. She has extremely good genetics. Probably the most perfect cat I’ve ever seen. My brother wants to breed her since she has good genetics but I’m kind of on the fence. I would love to see how cute her litter would be but in the same time, i know it will be a lot of work. Im looking for any advice to help me make up my mind.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

la flame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
-she is half persian and half scotish fold.
-she is not.
-i do not have breeding rights nor did i know that was a thing
-i did not get her from a breeder. i got her from my friend whos persian female and male scotish fold mated a few times.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Scottish fold must be outbred, and I suppose persians are allowed. Even if the usual outbreeding is with british cats.
Still, here you have TWO difficult breeds where you should know what you are doing, as both may have problems, both the scottish fold and modern persian....

Good genetics? Meaning healthy? OK. But observe, there were several litters of the same combination. Genetically speaking, there are lotsa of her copies. So she isnt not unique in any way genetically speaking.
I mean, for a breeder or wanna be breeder, its often the tipping point: I do have a healthy and good purebred cat. Perhaps not super show quality, but a very good representant for its breed AND an unusual combo. No near related used in active breeding programmes... Such a cat may be extra intressant and even important to use in breeding...
While the opposite with a cat, whom although perfectly decent, there are many genetical copies of it, and thus, no point with breeding on it, unless it will give stunning show quality cats...

All this gives you are or can get a registration with an established breeding organisation.

You seem not to have it (Im not even sure this breeder has it!),
your cat, although very nice, healthy etc cat, isnt not unique genetically, having a number of genetically similiar siblings.
You yourself are starting, with a difficult combo if you want to do more than a litter of pet cats, to be spayed as soon its medically possible...
Without the papers mentioned, you would essentially produce moggies, good look alikes to scottish fold.
And the world is full of nice moggies, even if few of them looks alike scottish fold...
So, no point with producing even more moggies. :(
Etc.

And yeah, most purebreds do gets spayed anyway. Even if they have certificate, belong to an established organisation, have decent looks and decent genetics... (oy, Winston! you were such an excellent candidate for a breeding stud! The very best of the batch! And yet you got neutered... Says his proud but sad "Granddad")

To summarize this long rant:

What it seems for now, the very best of you will be to neuter your girl. Do it soon, dont wait any longer now. Essentially as soon you can get time with your vet. (just be sure she isnt in heat while spayed - heat makes the operation more difficult and somewhat risky).

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound like she came from a reputable breeder in the first place so was there any health testing on the parents or what's your evidence of good genetics? Both Scottish Folds and Persians have several hereditary health issues known to the breeds that aren't outwardly visible, heart issues, kidney issues, joint problems, etc. Everyone thinks their cat is the best and perfect, that's not a good reason to reproduce them though. I have two gorgeous purebreds and neither have anything special to offer the world so they are fixed.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat does not have good genetics-quite the opposite. Those breeds are perfect examples of looks over health. The scottish fold ear comes from a mutation in cartilage, but since cartilage is found all over the body, especially in the joints, it's very detrimental to quality of life. It's classified as a disease called osteochondrodysplasia. Cats hide their pain very well, and it may seem like being docile is just part of her personality, but it's known that the disease limits movement.

Persians flattened faces are notorious for breathing problems and complicating respiratory illnesses. Your cat's doesn't look too severe, but she should not be bred to pass on that trait especially when you don't know how it would turn out in kittens.

Your friend needs to stop breeding these cats. She does not know what she is doing, which is backyard breeding. She doesn't know what other diseases her cats can be carriers for.

I'm sorry if these are harsh truths. You did not know before, but now that you do, you can avoid perpetuating the breed's disorder and take steps to reduce your cat's pain as she grows older. 5 months is the perfect time to get her spayed and eliminate risks and behavioral difficulties that can come from being unfixed as an adult.

la flame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you all for the amazing advice. this is why i came here! even though i was ignorant about Scottish fold and persian breeds genetic complications, i now know better and will be able to take care of my kitten better. I scheduled a spay surgery for her today and will inform my friend to stop breeding his scottish fold as well.

what i meant about her having good genetics is her beauty. i was unaware of her potential health complications. now that you mention it, although she is not showing signs of pain in her joints yet, i sometimes notice her somewhat labored breathing due to her Persian traits. other than that she is extremely healthy and playful.

thank you all for the amazing advice that i will carry on to other scottish fold owners!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you all for the amazing advice. this is why i came here! even though i was ignorant about Scottish fold and persian breeds genetic complications, i now know better and will be able to take care of my kitten better. I scheduled a spay surgery for her today and will inform my friend to stop breeding his scottish fold as well.

what i meant about her having good genetics is her beauty. i was unaware of her potential health complications. now that you mention it, although she is not showing signs of pain in her joints yet, i sometimes notice her somewhat labored breathing due to her Persian traits. other than that she is extremely healthy and playful.

thank you all for the amazing advice that i will carry on to other scottish fold owners!
Thank you for doing the responsible thing! Scottish fold cats are absolutely adorable but I don't support the breed because of the cartilage issues that can affect quality of life.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for getting your girl spayed. You're not only reducing her health risks (cancer and pymotheria for long term, risk associated with pregnancy in short term) but also ensuring that you aren't contributing to overpopulation.

Since you know she is at risk for cartilage issues, you might want to check with your vet about supplements that will help cartilage. For example, some daily bone broth might be good to help her maintain health or one of the joint supplements would be good.

Also, if she is having some of the short face breathing issues of Persians, you might also want to consider some of the Persian specific items. Namely, wide flat dishes for eating and wet food diet which can be easier to eat for flat faced cats.

la flame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for getting your girl spayed. You're not only reducing her health risks (cancer and pymotheria for long term, risk associated with pregnancy in short term) but also ensuring that you aren't contributing to overpopulation.

Since you know she is at risk for cartilage issues, you might want to check with your vet about supplements that will help cartilage. For example, some daily bone broth might be good to help her maintain health or one of the joint supplements would be good.

Also, if she is having some of the short face breathing issues of Persians, you might also want to consider some of the Persian specific items. Namely, wide flat dishes for eating and wet food diet which can be easier to eat for flat faced cats.
yes, goos idea as well