Should I be feeding Terra the Cat wet food?

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve been feeding Terra Iams her entire life at her vet’s recommendation, but having some experience with protuct sales and promotion, I know thst Iams is owned by Proctor and Gamble, which makes me think they are using less than healthy ingredients to cut costs. I lnow that many of you swear by wet food, but why exactly is it better than dry food? Yes, it eliminates the need to keep a water dish, but what other benefits does it have? Also, I have enough experience with marketing to know that most products don’t live up to the hype.

If you guys could recommend a brand/type of food to feed Terra, what would it be? Terra is a very picky kitty, but loves chicken and dairy.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I lnow that many of you swear by wet food, but why exactly is it better than dry food? Yes, it eliminates the need to keep a water dish, but what other benefits does it have?

A bowl of water must always be available to animals regardless of what diet is fed (dry, canned, raw, etc).

All things cat nutrition here including the dry vs canned issue: www.catinfo.org

You'll get tons of suggestions on food. Whatever brand your cat likes to eat and you can afford is the "best" one. There is no perfect brand of cat food although some really high end expensive brands come pretty close.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Check out the catfooddb.com for ideas on what to feed, `I give my cats dr elseys,rawz,hounds&gato,fancy fest classic turkey&giblets,sheba perfect portions roasted chicken and turkey,American journey,instinct,tiki. Also avoid fish

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, it eliminates the need to keep a water dish, but what other benefits does it have?
Hi!
You absolutely still need to have water bowls or per fountains :).

Why is your cat's vet suggesting kibble? Dry food is carb heavy, and can contribute to health issues and weight gain.

There are a couple of websites that give a list of canned food. I personally prefer Merrick, Koha, Kasiks, Natural Balance, and I also use fancy feast because Poppycat refuses to give it up, and there is also Tiny Tiger, Redbarn, and others that you can look into.

https://thecatsite.com/c/transitioning-your-cat-from-kibble-to-a-new-type-of-food-canned-raw-or-homemade

This has already been mentioned, scroll down the page;
CatFoodDB's Best Wet Cat Foods

pmv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wet food isn't about giving up the water dish (they still need one), but it does help in making sure the cat has better hydration in general. Many cats tend to have a poor thirst reflex, and they won't drink enough water to keep them at optimal hydration.

Also wet food can be (but isn't always) higher quality in terms of ingredients. Dry food is significantly plant-based; wet foods can use mainly animal protein, which is more similar to the cat's normal diet (although to be honest, if we wanted a natural diet for cats we would be serving mouse and sparrow food, not beef or chicken).

I actually feed my cats a mix of wet and dry food, and one reason to buy the wet stuff - they really love it!