Should i be concerned with these moles?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I truly dont know if these moles were always on my cat. I was scratching her under her collar once day when i felt them. They seem to be slightly raised. Should i be concerned? Do they seem cancerous? I typically go to my vet with any new issues. But my vet is being stubborn about letting the pet parents into his practice. They want to look at the pets alone to avoid covid risks. Its frustrating as i dont like leaving my pets with anyone.

I know a vet that visits homes, but i dont know how much can be done from home.

20210504_063825.jpg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d completely remove her collar, given that it’s rubbing the fur off your poor kitty’s neck. Looks like it could be blackheads from the collar, but given that they’re raised, you’d be best off having them examined by a vet. I understand the reluctance of leaving your pet alone, but UK vets have said pets tend to behave better when in without their owner, apparently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d completely remove her collar, given that it’s rubbing the fur off your poor kitty’s neck. Looks like it could be blackheads from the collar, but given that they’re raised, you’d be best off having them examined by a vet. I understand the reluctance of leaving your pet alone, but UK vets have said pets tend to behave better when in without their owner, apparently.
I wish i could. You see i have two cats. I had to buy Elsa a microchip feeder. She doesnt have a microchip so i had to add a tag to her collar. The only way she can access her food is with the collar. The collar is soft and stretchy and i just bought it. The only way i can avoid it is if i get her chipped.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish i could. You see i have two cats. I had to buy Elsa a microchip feeder. She doesnt have a microchip so i had to add a tag to her collar. The only way she can access her food is with the collar. The collar is soft and stretchy and i just bought it. The only way i can avoid it is if i get her chipped.
Why not get her chipped? It’s a minimally invasive quick process that’ll help you find your cat, should she ever get out.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im paranoid after i read that the body can reject the chip and have a tumor grow around it. lol

I would do it now, just to make her more comfortable without the collar. Just hate leaving her alone at the vets office.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how often that happens, but I'm sure most of us here have chipped cats with no problems.

I agree with what Maurey Maurey said about them looking possibly like blackheads. Sparkle used to get them all the time on her chin when she had a plastic bowl (we've switched bowls and she doesn't so much anymore), and I feel like they looked similar. But I'd probably get them checked for peace of mind.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I’d completely remove her collar, given that it’s rubbing the fur off your poor kitty’s neck. Looks like it could be blackheads from the collar, but given that they’re raised, you’d be best off having them examined by a vet.
I completely agree! :agree: Almost like chin acne, here is a better explanation that describes it as inflammation of a hair follicle:
Chin Acne in Cats

I also agree trying to remove the collar to see if it improves. Or perhaps try treating it topically. However, before treating it yourself why not send a pic to your vet and ask their opinion. That way you may be able to avoid an appointment since you mentioned your apprehension not being able to be with her in person at the vet.

Honestly, I've never had a problem with microchips and it would be a very short vet appointment. This way you could have the vet check the blackheads and get her microchipped at the same time. Regardless speak with your vet about your concerns. Best of luck!

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how often that happens, but I'm sure most of us here have chipped cats with no problems.

I agree with what Maurey Maurey said about them looking possibly like blackheads. Sparkle used to get them all the time on her chin when she had a plastic bowl (we've switched bowls and she doesn't so much anymore), and I feel like they looked similar. But I'd probably get them checked for peace of mind.
Dont worry. This made me realize that chipping her is best, plus she wont be itching at her neck anymore. Just feel bad taking her to the vet with everything going on. I have to decide if i should call in a home visit vet, or take her to the regular vet. My brother knows a vet that does home visits. Not sure if that can be checked at home.

But it makes me feel better that it might just be blackheads. Thank you!

I completely agree! :agree: Almost like chin acne, here is a better explanation that describes it as inflammation of a hair follicle:
Chin Acne in Cats

I also agree trying to remove the collar to see if it improves. Or perhaps try treating it topically. However, before treating it yourself why not send a pic to your vet and ask their opinion. That way you may be able to avoid an appointment since you mentioned your apprehension not being able to be with her in person at the vet.

Honestly, I've never had a problem with microchips and it would be a very short vet appointment. This way you could have the vet check the blackheads and get her microchipped at the same time. Regardless speak with your vet about your concerns. Best of luck!
It actually makes sense. Shes been using the same collar for a long time, and i finally changed it recently. So i can see why she would get acne. Thats a good idea about emailing my vet. I will do that now. Thank you!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to decide if i should call in a home visit vet, or take her to the regular vet. My brother knows a vet that does home visits. Not sure if that can be checked at home.
It should be something a vet could check during a home visit. If you want to try a mobile vet for her you should ask about this when you make the appointment. Also, I strongly recommend confining her in a carrier or pen, or even just the bathroom, before the vet arrives; it will make the visit much easier if you don't have to pull the cat out from under the couch or wherever.

Margret

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ly recommend confining her in a carrier or pen, or even just the bathroom, before the vet arrives; it will make the visit much easier if you don't have to pull the cat out from under the couch or wherever.
Thank you for the tip, i will keep that in mind if i do the vet home visit.

I reached out to my regular vet, and they said it looks like blackheads especially if it is raised. They asked if i was comfortable expressing it. Which makes me worried that i will spread any bacteria or make it worse.:sigh:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I reached out to my regular vet, and they said it looks like blackheads especially if it is raised. They asked if i was comfortable expressing it. Which makes me worried that i will spread any bacteria or make it worse.:sigh:
Have you ever expressed blackheads on your own face? Did it make things worse, or cause an infection?

Margret

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the tip, i will keep that in mind if i do the vet home visit.

I don't know of any health care person who would advise "expressing" blackheads. I would apply hydrogen peroxide on a cotton swab/ball to keep the area clean, or use mild soap and water, and then clean with clear water. If they area feline acne/blackheads, they will "express" themselves eventually.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*Just to expand on my earlier post, responsible and trained health care personnel advise AGAINST interfering with blackheads or any blemishes because doing so can spread the bacteria and lead to a potentially very serious illness by introducing bacteria into the bloodstream. NEVER express them!*

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever expressed blackheads on your own face? Did it make things worse, or cause an infection?

Margret
I have done it before and used neosporin with good results. I experienced really bad adult acne and blackheads as well.

I don't know of any health care person who would advise "expressing" blackheads. I would apply hydrogen peroxide on a cotton swab/ball to keep the area clean, or use mild soap and water, and then clean with clear water. If they area feline acne/blackheads, they will "express" themselves eventually.
i had asked by email to check with the vet. perhaps they didnt? I had thought they were just trying to see if it was something i should rush in for. I am waiting a bit because it seems florida is finally going to open completely so maybe the vet will let me in with the kitties.

*Just to expand on my earlier post, responsible and trained health care personnel advise AGAINST interfering with blackheads or any blemishes because doing so can spread the bacteria and lead to a potentially very serious illness by introducing bacteria into the bloodstream. NEVER express them!*
Dont worry, i just tried squeezing gently and havent done it again since. I am waiting to see if florida is going to fully open so i can go inside with them on the appointment.