Should I bathe 11 day post-spay cat

GUIGH0St

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Quick question since my vet isn’t responding to any of my contacts

My female cat has been spayed May 24th (11 days ago) she’s been acting her usual self, there’s no redness and the tenderness and lump is starting to disappear, but she stinks.

I am new to this whole spay thing, but am I able to bathe her now? I want to clean her incision but I’m worried I might open it.

is it okay to give her a good, deep clean or should I wait until the 14 days are up. I appreciate any answer!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you usually bathe your cat? Cats don't need to be bathed, generally speaking, although some people bathe show cats before a contest.

How does she smell? Are you smelling any signs of infection?

I wouldn't recommend bathing her. You could wipe her with a warm damp towel to encourage her to groom herself. If there is dried blood around her incision site she'll do a better job of cleaning that off by herself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GUIGH0St

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t normally bathe her; she was only been bathed twice in her lifetime.

Her incision has no type of scent, though when I got her back from the vet she urinated herself and the smell still lingers.

I really appreciate the answer, thank you! when I take off the cone I’ll just allow her to clean herself

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
She doesn't still need her cone on if she was spayed 11 days ago. The incision will be pretty much healed by now. You can remove it and allow her to clean herself.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Instead of a cone I had Delilah in a onesie - she was able to clean what needed cleaning herself.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Typically speaking, cats shouldn't smell. If it is from the urine then that is fine (still wouldn't bathe her, damp cloth is best as mentioned above), but if not then I would make sure to get her anal glands and dental health checked.