Should I Adopt A New Baby?

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody,

I have a furry daughter who's 1.5 y/o her name is Ginni, but most of the times I call her Tas (for the Tasmanian devil of Bugs Bunny). She's of course full of energy, she can be sweet when she wants to, but that's not as often as I would like or as I am used to, since my previous babies (who I missed dearly) were very sweet and loving. Anyway... she likes when either my mom or I are in the house; since my mom is already retired she's always in the house. Thing is, my mom is out of town for over a month, and I work most of the day, and I feel Ginni is getting lonely. I've been thinking about adopting another cat. Today my cousin sent me a text about a 9 month old rescue, who is very sweet and loving and is looking for a forever home. I think that maybe since both the difference on age are not that much; Ginni will enjoy a playmate when she's alone, the kitty will have a forever home, and I might get a cat that enjoys sitting on my laptop when I write on in front of my books when I'm reading. I'm asking for advice since I never adopted a cat. My baby girl who passed away 2 years ago, adopted me at first sight. Lucky the boy adopted my mom also at first sight. Gigio was with me for a month, was rescue from the streets, but had feline leukemia a passed away very fast with our love. Ginni, I adopted her, she's closer to my mom than to me. She's a Tas, but i love her very much, that's why I'm so concern about her. I was thinking to bring Ginni with me to meet the new cat and see what happens. I will love to hear your opinions.
Thank you very much.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I think adopting this kitten is a terrific idea, for all the reasons you mention. He sounds like such a sweetie and even if he and Ginni don't play much with each other, they still will provide each other company.

These are some questions I would ask the person currently taking care of the kitten.

1. Why are they rehoming the kitten?
2. Has the kitten been neutered, dewormed and vaccinated? Check out this article for information on cat vaccines: Cat Vaccinations: A Quick & Useful Guide If the answer is yes, get copies of the vaccination certificates, if available.
3. Has he been tested for FIV and FELV?
4. Does he like to sit on laps?
5. Does he have other cats with whom he plays?
6. Do they know his history?
7. Does he have any behavior issues?
8. Does he always use his litter box?
9. Does the person want any payment? If (s)he has paid for a thorough vetting of the little guy, you may be asked to pay more than if he hasn't been to the vet yet.

Be sure to check him for fleas and ringworm. A positive in either case doesn't preclude adopting him, but these are things you need to know about before bringing the little guy home.

If he hasn't been vetted, this is no reason to not adopt him but it does mean that you'll need to take him to the vet for a clean bill of health before you let him be around your little whirlwind. That's a good idea anyway, because you will probably need to go through an introduction process during which you gradually increase their exposure to each other. This article describes the process: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

I'm not sure how much useful information you'll get from taking Ginni to meet him. She'll be stressed out and may not respond to him in foreign surroundings as she would at home. One thing that will help, though is to do some scent swapping. Rub a towel or cloth on Ginni before visiting the kitten and observe his reaction, then do the reverse by rubbing the kitten and seeing how Ginni reacts. If neither hiss and growl at the scent of each other, that is a promising sign.

When you bring the kitten home, don't expect him to immediately feel at home. Many cats hide for a few days before emerging - this is nothing to worry about. If you feel he is too unhappy or timid, just post your situation and we'll give you some advice on helping him feel more secure. Basically, he needs a safe room, a place he can hide, his litter box, food and water and toys to keep him occupied. You'll also need to spend time with him, playing, snuggling or talking - whatever makes him most happy. Let him come to you and follow his guidance in initiating what should be a long and rewarding relationship.

I hope all of the above doesn't seem that intimidating because I think adopting this kitten is a wonderful idea. :clap: I hope it all works out. And when you bring him home, we want to see photos! Lots of photos of him and Ginni!
catman.gif

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for so many valuable ideas Margd! The kitten is a rescue, I've been told she's a female and that she's been spayed and vaccinated and that she's very sweet, mellow and lap cat.
I was thinking about bringing Ginni with me since every occasion I can get Ginni out of the house (safely of course), I do; but your idea of rubbing fabric on the cats is even better! The rescue is in a foster home at the moment, but I will ask the other questions.

Crazycatlady1129

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you do decide to adopt her, make sure you find out what kind of food she is currently eating. This is something many adopting owners don't think to ask about, and can cause potential problems when you bring her home.
I think it's a great idea also! If possible, take a blanket with you when you visit her, and leave it with the foster home until you bring her home. This will give her a scent that is comfortable when you first bring her home. If it has Ginni's scent on it, even better! You can also try a feliway diffuser when you bring her home. ^_^
Bless you for wanting to provide this furbaby with a loving furever home. <3

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am sure you already considered the cost of having another cat (vet cost and quality food) and you ll need 3 litter boxes ;p. I think its a great idea. I dont think bringing Ginni to visit the other cat ll help. She ll be stressed from the trip. Can you bring the rescue cat over and have him stay for a week?
Margd had good points...you dont want Ginni to get sick from the other cat, but if he is from a shelter...ask about his/her health and vaccines, fleas.

Last edited:

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for your comments, definitely helps a lot. I want to meet this kit, the person who is taking care of her and I will talk this weekend to meet. So far I don't know much, but every single suggestion you give me, helps me a bit more. My Ginni might be a Tasmanian devil, but she's good around other animals, considering that I pet sit here and there, I bring a standard poodle home or I bring Ginni along with me when I pet sit a beagle. The dogs are sometimes scared of her since she keeps them at bay but she's ok with them. I noticed she tried to get along with my 3 strays but they are much older and not much about playing with her (about my 3 strays, I've known them since kittens, I was able to catch them to fix them and give them some vaccines to keep them inside, but no luck to keep them inside). I do believe she needs a sister or brother around her same age so she can play with. I will keep you post it about our progress in the search of a new member for my family :blush:

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And hopefully you dont get another cat for this reason...
No, even before my mom going away we were talking about a playmate for Ginni and a lap cat for me lol. My fur babies that crossed the rainbow bridge were very sweet, they were always next to me or my mom. Yanny always slept with me next to my face, she was my first daughter and the biggest love I've ever had, not a day goes by without me missing her, even though it's been 2 years of her passing :'( Lucky was the king of the jungle, but cotton candy with us. Next 11/11 will make a year of him passing with all my love. I guess I miss furry love with extra knitting and purring.

Last edited:

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update in a new kitten... The lady that has the kitten brought her to meet my Ginni on Monday. Things didn't go well, as sweet as the other cat can be, Ginni jumped on top of the kitchen cabinets and refused to come down. After they left Ginni refused to come back down, I had to grab a chair and get her down myself. I know that meeting another cat can be stressful but I've never seen fear on my Tasmanian Devil, and I don't like it. After 2 days she's finally back to be herself.
Now... I've seen a male kitten... actually 3 siblings but I only want one. I went today to meet them and I brought a piece of fabric to hold them. So far, Ginni is not paying attention to the fabric. I told the owner of the kittens that I will contact her on the weekend since I don't want to leave Ginni alone with another kitten while I work.
I will keep you post it :)

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yogi, mi new son, Ginni is not that happy, but it has been just one day. I'm sure they eventually get along.