Should Feral With Broken Pelvis Be Euthenized? Vet Said No

Should this cat with a broken pelvis be euthanized?

• Yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Impfac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have a feral tomcat that has been limping 3-5 months. Finally got him with a drop trap-pelvis is broken. No prospect for healing. Vet said since he's eating well, uses both legs when running, and completely dominates the back yard (he chases other cats away) he should not be euthanized, although he couldn't say if he was in pain or not. He said to put him back outside once the sedatives wore off.

I feel conflicted. The cat can't jump (as I saw first hand). Right now he's locked in a bedroom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Impfac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you keep him inside until it heals?
Yes but the distinct impression was it will not heal further than it has over the last 3-5 months.

I think if you allow him back outside he will be easy bait for predators.
He seems to have survived for a long time without any issue from predators or even other cats.

Maybe you could consider turning him into an inside cat? Many of us have done that here.
No, he's too aggressive and I already have 4 cats. Leaving him locked in a bedroom by himself forever doesn't seem like a great alternative either.

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm probably going to be in the minority, but I'm a firm believer in quality of life over quantity of life. If there's any indication that he's experiencing chronic pain due to this injury, I would feel like it would be more merciful to euthanize. Out of the nearly 240 ferals that have been TNR'd through the local program I volunteer with over this past year, only one had to be euthanized and that was due to a mouth cancer that was beginning to eat away at the inside of her mouth. Facing a death by pain and starvation from the cancer, the vet made the decision to euthanize. On the other hand, just this past weekend a kitten crashed on the recovery table following his neuter and two vets there worked for nearly half an hour to stabilize the little guy and he recovered completely from his near-death experience within a day.

What will his quality of life be? If the answer to that question is 'fine' then leave him be. Otherwise, I'd consider it merciful to give him a peaceful end rather than chronic pain and debilitation.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally, the idea of TNR is "they were surviving just fine without any help; you're just neutering them so there won't be more babies". When you find a cat who isn't actually surviving just fine, then hard decisions need to be made. But if he was previously doing well, he should be able to go on just like he was.

If you do want to try to keep him indoors, he may mellow out after a month or so. Neutering can make a big difference in that regard.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I voted no based on the vet’s recommendation and that he can run- I mean not just walk but run-on both legs. I’m not against euthanasia at all but I do reserve it as a prevention from suffering. It does not sound like he is suffering. PersonallyI’d try to find a home or set him up as a barn cat somewhere and have his new caretakers observe him as he ages and then re-evaluate later on if he seems to not be thriving. Right now he sounds like he’s healthy enough to have a decent quality of life though.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend rescued a cat with a fractured pelvis. He had surgery and got better kept in a cage for a few months. Tiny kitten. Later adopted. You might find him on fb. Called baby runway. He was adopted

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
FB_IMG_1539730115890.jpg
Fractured pelvis so more serious
Recently adopted!
Baby Runway is interviewing potential homes! She will be spayed in a week or so. She's gone through so much with her fractured pelvis, ear mites and bot fly incident, but come such a long way. Foster Mom say she is very sweet and loving and gets along with resident dogs and cats. If you would like to be interviewed by this very special girl, pm me.

Runway will always have a slight limp, adopter will have to very careful she doesn't gain too much wait as it would cause her problems. Adopter also needs to understand that as she ages, she may develop arthritis. She is a special girl who need a special home. Are you it?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm probably going to be in the minority, but I'm a firm believer in quality of life over quantity of life. If there's any indication that he's experiencing chronic pain due to this injury, I would feel like it would be more merciful to euthanize. Out of the nearly 240 ferals that have been TNR'd through the local program I volunteer with over this past year, only one had to be euthanized and that was due to a mouth cancer that was beginning to eat away at the inside of her mouth. Facing a death by pain and starvation from the cancer, the vet made the decision to euthanize. On the other hand, just this past weekend a kitten crashed on the recovery table following his neuter and two vets there worked for nearly half an hour to stabilize the little guy and he recovered completely from his near-death experience within a day.

What will his quality of life be? If the answer to that question is 'fine' then leave him be. Otherwise, I'd consider it merciful to give him a peaceful end rather than chronic pain and debilitation.
I am so with you on mouth cancer and I lost a cat years ago to that....no way back absolutely and sadly. I am on the fence with the original post because I wonder about safety in the long term, if not being able to jump guarantees that the cat is confined to a safe place or just defenseless, and if the cat is hiding pain. Cats are notorious for being stoic. Some cats are also a little cavalier about ferals I have found as well. Having said that, I am not encouraging you to put him to sleep...I moderate a support group for people with German shepherds with certain fatal genetic illnesses and one rule is that we don't tell people to let their dogs go because only the owner, and in this case you, can really assess his situation.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember now. No surgery. It healed on its own. There's a video of him playing with a toy. Back arched and jumpinng

Impfac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess another long term concern is I'm a law student in my last year. I've fed this cat basically every day for 4 months (he disappeared for a few weeks at one point). I have no idea what he will do when I move. I'm in Georgia, so I'm sure theres lots of bugs and rodents, but not sure if do move if he'll end up starving.

I'm almost certainly going to put him back out, I just don't feel very good about it.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Impfac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What did he do before you started feeding him? Is the injury fairly recent?
The injury is old. He had it when he started coming around, so I dont know the answer. He may have been coming around for 6+ months according to the Misses.

UPDATE: Hurt cat has been in a bedroom for about a week. I have a camera set up in there. I've seen him not only walk on that leg without obvious pain, I've now seen him use it to jump up on things 1-2 feet high. So I feel much better about letting him outside soon.

Impfac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: So, this guy isn't feral, he's stray. After a week of sitting quietly with him, he began absolutely loving my wife, crawling on her, drooling over her, sleeping on her. He gives me the soft eyes but still fears me. I haven't been spending the quiet time like her though.

Unfortunately, he's FIV. He's got a skin issue the vet gave him antibiotics for. He's also become an obsessively picky eater, which is dangerous for FIV cats from what I understand. I don't foresee being able to rehome him but sitting in a room mostly alone all day isn't great, but I can't stomach putting him back out or putting down an otherwise healthy active cat.

I have to move 2500 miles in June... I guess in all likelihood he'll be coming along and I'll start trying to find an appropriate permanent home then. If you have any tips for rehoming let me know. I'm in the Atlanta area.
Attach0_20181213_215822.jpg
Attach0_20181229_205642.jpg
Attach0_20190227_182116.jpg

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is just so sweet and handsome.
Just some info, FIV is not a death sentence. I have 2 former feral cats that are both FIV+. They need to be inside only and I am sure to feed the the best quality food I can. I do a combination of canned food and home cooked. I also use a daily immune booster for both of them.

Both of my FIV+ boys are very healthy. One is 5 and the other is 7. They hang out with my other 4 cats. The disease is only transferred through a deep penetrating bite. Most neutered cats do not bite like that.

Is there a reason why he's confined to one room. Do you have other cats? As I mentioned, I have 6 cats and 2 with FIV+ and they all co mingle. FIV is not FELV ( feline leukemia). FIV is known as cat AIDS. It just affects their immune system. Keeping them inside and feeding good quality food can assure they live long healthy lives.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For him, try music, low volume classical harp music, there's an app called Relax My Cat and there's MusicForCats . com

For his eating,
This might help;
18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members

Also here is a compilation of things;

Try feeding in different locations - and utilize different heights. For example put a couple of books underneath the dish, next time use two thick phone books, or a small-ish box so the heights are varied....

Try sitting with him and scoop some food on your finger or a spoon and hopefully your kitty will lick it. Or gently tuck some food inside the cheek.

Try some raw egg yolk. Egg white must always be cooked, and some people cook the white and make a slurry of sorts by adding in the raw yolk.

Also you could try some Nutri-cal or similar product.

Try making these recipes - they're just as viable for an adult cat as for kittens;
Kitten-Rescue.com

These below can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave.

Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored (pureed) baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up, lettuce, applesauce, mashed chickpeas, black olives
  • whipped topping such as reddiwhip
  • dry pasta
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables, Only Natural Pet, Primal
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese, string cheese