Should cats eat "people food?"

swalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is pretty funny Tigger. Lily loves
to lick out of my yogurt cup also. She loves
little pieces of donuts, and turkey dogs. She eats chicken only if it is plain and she absolutely loves
Chili. I try to keep her out of it, because it is so messy and I am sure bad for her, but it makes her go crazy!!

psychaosprodigy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow! I always thought that giving people food to cats was really bad for them. I always feel guilty but never let them have my food. I try to buy different kinds of treats and stuff but it seems to always be the same.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard that tuna can cause urinary blockage problems in male cats. Any truth to that one?

katzdesigns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As long as your cats (like ours) are healthy and receive the majority of their food from good quality cat food, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't get treats, just like us. Can you imagine eating the same thing every day for your entire life. How boring...and cats are not boring!
Avoid milk (unless you have a cat who tolerates lactose well), onions and chocolate. Their systems don't tolerate these things well.

wondercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Before Grimmy went on his special diet, he never liked any kind of cat treats. The only thing we found (accidentally, when one escaped our dinner) that he'd eat was a garbanzo bean. It went rolling on the floor and he went nuts over it. Really, that's what most cat food smells like anyway so I can kind of understand it. Now he's our little garbanzo!

hana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's my darling Chippy's 13th birthday today! And he is the love of my life!Ran out to the market to buy him his favorite turkey for a special dinner (along with the other three got to have some too!). Chippy's full name is Potato Chips, because when he was a kitten, he didn't like cat food, but ate away potato chips! Pheow, that junk food is out now.

Our kitty, Cindy loves rice cakes!, which none of the other kitties even want to smell. Ha ha. It's useful and helpful to know what foods are safe to give the kitties. =o)

New poster,

Hana

twocats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Boy am I glad I took the time to read this one. My two know when I've been to the deli at the store, even if I carry in 6 bags - they must smell the deli meats. Mony has a fondness for German Bologna (that's a real special treat for both of us) and they will both sit at my feet for ham. They don't get much of either, but that is about the only things they will beg for. That, and canned tuna. I make the tuna last them at least a week and only give it to them a little at a time. If its in the fridge longer than 4 days it's trash. I wouldn't eat it & wouldn't expect them to. Am I too fussy?

I know Mony goes crazy when I break out the garlic to cook with and stays underfoot while using it. I guess I'll make sure they don't get anything I cook with onion powder in it, I didn't know and I love to use the garlic & onion combo.

Does anyone else have a cat that likes raw carrots? Mony surprises me every day. I was making a roast one day when part of one fell and she claimed it and ate it.

judi k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I grew up with 2 cats that used to like to beg for people food. Whenever Mom opened a can of tuna or salmon, they would come running even if they were upstairs. Every week when Daddy made omletes the cats and dog each got 2 slices of cheese (the only people food they were supposed to get according to him). Of course, I used to wait until he left the table after dinner and feed my cat pieces of carrot and peas I didn't like.She loved them.

Kitty won't touch most people food. I can leave almost anything on the counter and she won't even sniff at it. But if I am trying to eat cheesecake, she will do anything to get at my plate! Even if she was sleeping, she smells it and feels I need to share. She won't bother my husband for his, even if he offers her some, she only wants mine.

swalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was eating some ranch flavored corn nuts, when Lily started going after the bag. I gave her one and she ate it. Looks like she thought it was pretty good!!
thought it was pretty funny.

twocats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's one more for the people food section. Last Saturday night after I brought my son home from the hospital (he fell in a department store & they wanted him checked out), I carried in all the stuff I had bought while out. This included leftover snack & our dinnner of cheeseteaks in the same bag as my bread. Apparently something leaked on the the bread bag & I didn't know it. I had to get both cats out of the bag (by this time there was only the bread in the bag). Anyway, I put the bread away and when I walked past it a second time, I noticed a hole eaten through the bag and part of the bread was missing. I think I know which one it was, becuase I've seen her go into bags before.

Other than that she won't touch bread while wer'e eating.

tashajd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can cats inherit a craving for certain foods? We have 5 cats, 4 belong to the same lineage. They all LOVE bread! If we leave the room for more a second with bread out it disappears. Doesn't matter if it is biscuits, french bread, etc. As long as it is bread they eat it.

chris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats will eat ANYTHING. I mean it -- she has tried Cheerios, Corn Chex, Soup, Bread, Tomato, Potato, Pepper, Potato Chips, Egg McMuffins, and of course, any kind of meat.

We've fed her things like this when she asks for a sample, for about 10 years now. She is 14 now -- and she still acts and plays like a kitten. (Seriously. She is still faster and at times more hyper than our 2 two year old cats.) Maybe that food is really good for her!

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess the questions about food went to the wrong thread(behavior). Is it alright to give him scrambled or hard boiled eggs? How about other beans? My cat loves chicken and beef. He also likes milk(is 2% ok?) I notice that when I eat my meals, Jake is always sitting on the floor besides my chair and it is staring at me and concentrating on food that I eat. Is that a cat's way of begging? One day I mixed dry cat food with a little bit of canned. Then I put a little bit of chicken broth and pieces of cooked chicken in his bowl. I also put cooked carrots, peas(I take the outer skin out), and corn. He ate it all up.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
nena,
Go back and read all of the posts in this thread. It gives all the ins and outs of feeding different foods including milk.