Should And How To Help A Stray Cat?

vanellym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Very confused, desperate need of suggestions. Here’s my story:

I have taken in a tomcat and I love him so much and I think he’s finallt getting used to his indoor life. But for a while , I did take him on walks. I kept discovering new cats in my apartments and a whole outdoor cat colony. The cat colony does get fed by its “owner” but there’s several cats I see that are way too skinny and don’t seem to belong to the colony.

I try my best not to get attached quickly but while walking my cat I found this skinny black female cat with a little bald spot... I gave in and started feeding her daily. I think she’s still underweight but I can definitely feel a little bit of fat instead of just bones. She even grew her hair back. Hoping to get a little extra money and take her to the vet.

Anyways, now this male cat comes and sees that I feed her and keeps meowing at me to give him. Now , this cat has given me problems. He always meows at my door (even before feeding the stray cat) and has attacked my house cat. And my cat and him meow at each other a lot and occasionally hiss. I cannot tell if they are friends or not. The way they acted , I thought the male cat was a girl cat but nope! I don’t know, my cat was originally a stray so maybe they know each other ¿.

Every time I tell this story, everyone tells me I’m too mean to the cat and should feed him too. Even my mom , who doesn’t care much for cats , feels bad for him and made me give him food!

Now , I do feel bad that he does not have a home and according to everyone , is very skinny.(I agree he’s skinny but to me , he does not look boney skinny how everyone irl describes him) and he has the saddest meows in the world. He meows all the time, so every time I see him , I get sad.

But here’s the thing.
I might move soon. I do not want him to depend on me and then suddenly realized I no longer will be able too feed him.

(For the black kitty, I’m hoping to take her with me to the new home. I’m scared of her reaction but she does purr with me and takes quicks naps when I’m outside with her. She even once got in my cats cage! This is a whole new problem. )

Anyways, I do not plan on taking the male cat as I don’t know where my cat and him stand.

Should I feed him? Would it be cruel for me to feed him the most I can while I can? Or is it more cruel to feed and then stop?

I want to take him to a shelter but in my city there’s only 1 non-kill shelter that I volunteer at and there are so packed with cats. I don’t know how to help him forever. I can’t tell if he’s ever had an owner or a simple feral , so I don’t know if I should find a home for him. He did let me pet him for a second but I don’t know. What would you do?

It’s hard to forget about him, is it fair I help one cat but not him? I know I can’t help every single stray cat but I still feel guilty now.

((Went ahead an added pictures! You can kinda see my blacks kitties bald spot growing between the ears ; it’s now fully recovered but she’s so difficult to take pictures of. ))

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feel very sad for the kitty that is not getting fed and is so hungry. Yet if you are moving away and there will be no one who will feed them it would be hard for them. Is your entire family moving or just you?

It seems that you need a rescue group to step in and help you. Since you volunteer at a shelter they should have some contacts. You need to be sure that these outside cats are spayed/neutered. If not, these cats will quickly multiply.

Are they cats you have brought inside or going to bring inside been to a vet for a check up as well as spay/neuter?

Thank you for helping these kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanellym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel very sad for the kitty that is not getting fed and is so hungry. Yet if you are moving away and there will be no one who will feed them it would be hard for them. Is your entire family moving or just you?
—- Entire family moving out, but I did notice now my downstairs neighbors giving food to the cat! I don’t know if it was a on time thing for them doe. But I now have fed him since posting this, I feel is better to feed him the most I can than none at all.

Also, he was missing the whole day today except when I went out and feed the black cat . He has a swollen foot and is limping. I’m going to try to see if the shelter can help me out because I don’t have much money left for the vet but I know the poor kitty needs a good checkup.

Also, debating if I should try finding a home for him? I don’t know how well he adapts as he is around 1 yr old or maybe 2 and my family is telling me different opinions, would like to know your thoughts !

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he seems friendly he can adapt fairly easily to inside living. It does take time and patience. If he is too feral to be adopted the kindest thing you can do is to be sure he is spayed/neutered. This will keep him from fighting and also extend his life.

Are any of the cats spayed/neutered? Please ask the shelter where you volunteer to help you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanellym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he seems friendly he can adapt fairly easily to inside living. It does take time and patience. If he is too feral to be adopted the kindest thing you can do is to be sure he is spayed/neutered. This will keep him from fighting and also extend his life.

Are any of the cats spayed/neutered? Please ask the shelter where you volunteer to help you.
He is friendly and not scared of most neighbors but I know my cat took forever for him to somehow adapt to the inside life and it was so much work.
And my cat is not yet neutured but will be , he lost his nails and I’m waiting for him to recover completely before the surgery. The black kitty is not but I’m taking her to get her shots first on August ( low cost vaccines special!)

And yes I will be contacting my shelter tonight. I’m hoping they have space for him or give me advice atleast.