Should a 7 month olds cat be on kitten formula food or adult food?

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hihi,

I've been feeding my cat adult formula and the vet told me that above 6 months, a cat should be on adult formula.

Anyone feeding their cat that's around 7 month olds adult formula too?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats were on adult food since they were kittens.wellness core,Dr elseys,weruva,tiki,hound&gatos,earthborn,farmina,health extensions,nutro perfect portions,sheba,ff classics,and simply nourish with chicken morsels for kittens. Some are high fat medium protein ,some high protein low fat. Some both so alternate. Only difference is kittens eat more.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hihi,

I've been feeding my cat adult formula and the vet told me that above 6 months, a cat should be on adult formula.

Anyone feeding their cat that's around 7 month olds adult formula too?
Best is to feed kittens with food meant for kittens. Food meant for kittens are specially formulated to aid their growth.

A 7 month old kitten is still very much a kitten till they mature when they are 1 year old and for larger breeds, they mature at 2 - 4 years old. Feed your kitten as much wet food as he can eat at one sitting. You can never overfeed a kitten.

At 7 months old, all his adult teeth are in and he'll be going through a phase call 'Growth Spurt' which he tends to eat more than usual and this will last till he's a year plus and after that his food intake will taper off. All you need is feed him a daily amount of 200 - 250 calories if he is a normal active cat.

Or you may like what Furballsmom Furballsmom mentioned, feed him food labeled 'For All Life Stages' and you don't have to transit him over to adult food unless you are changing brands than you have to transit him over.

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I typically feed kitten food until 1 year. There was one kitten who had to free feed an adult formula until 1 year since the resident cat would sneak/steal kitten food and they had dietary restrictions. But I worked with the vet to find something they both could eat and at what frequency. Fattest year of the resident cat’s life with all that food around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I typically feed kitten food until 1 year. There was one kitten who had to free feed an adult formula until 1 year since the resident cat would sneak/steal kitten food and they had dietary restrictions. But I worked with the vet to find something they both could eat and at what frequency. Fattest year of the resident cat’s life with all that food around.
Thanks for all your replies! Appreciate it!

I have been feeding her adults formula all along, I'm just wondering will anything bad happens since I didn't know that I'll need to feed her kitten formula prior to this ><

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have been feeding her adults formula all along, I'm just wondering will anything bad happens since I didn't know that I'll need to feed her kitten formula prior to this ><
Maybe nothing to bad will happen except that she misses out the proper nutrients that is needed to aid her growth. Feed her well and make sure she's healthy and strong.