shots- lasting effects?

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi guys

I'm a bit worried, but as you all know, I'm a worry wart sometimes. I just took in spirit to get her shots yesterday and since then she has been sleeping or sleepy. At first this didn't seem to odd, but everytime I go to pet her, she cries out when I pet her left shoulder (I'm thinking this is where the shots were given, though I don't know, they take them into the back to give the shots). Is this normal? Should I be worried? She didn't have this problem last time she had her shots....In case it matters, she had her FRCCP and FELV shots, the doctor also gave her alittle "Rescue Remedy" to clam her down, but that was given by mouth. I'm probably just worrying to much...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get her up and see how she's moving. Sherman had the same problem - he was extremely sore from a booster shot, enough so that he would not get up and move (not even for his wet food!).

Check her ears, too. If they feel warmer than usual she most likely has a fever. Sherman's was 103.4 (iirc). While the vet did act like I was being a paranoid pet owner, that fever was too close to being dangerous for my comfort. If your gut instinct says your cat isn't acting right, and definitely you know your cat, call the vet and get her in for a quick check.

If you search for past threads (even from the last two months) you'll see that there are several of us that have had to deal with this. We all worry and some of us do rush our cats back to the vet for it.

By the way, Spirit is an adorable little lynx point!

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm unsure of your meaning of "lasting effects"....if you did mean immediate after-effects, what you're observing now is very normal.

If you meant long-term effects - and, IMO, those should be of much greater concern, this article helps debunk the myth of the need for periodic "booster" vaccinations - and, points to associated dangers.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^If the cat was born in 2009, as the info says, the shots were probably the last bit of initial shots that are typically given to kittens in a series.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Get her up and see how she's moving. Sherman had the same problem - he was extremely sore from a booster shot, enough so that he would not get up and move (not even for his wet food!).

Check her ears, too. If they feel warmer than usual she most likely has a fever. Sherman's was 103.4 (iirc). While the vet did act like I was being a paranoid pet owner, that fever was too close to being dangerous for my comfort. If your gut instinct says your cat isn't acting right, and definitely you know your cat, call the vet and get her in for a quick check.

If you search for past threads (even from the last two months) you'll see that there are several of us that have had to deal with this. We all worry and some of us do rush our cats back to the vet for it.

By the way, Spirit is an adorable little lynx point!
Spirit tends to follow me around when I'm home (just finished this college term, so I'm around much more now) and she did follow me upstairs, but she was walking slowly, almost as if she was half asleep.

I gave her some wet food (a treat, usually one can a week) but she hardly looked at it before going back to the bed and curling up.

As far as her ears, they are kind of cold, but atleast I know there isn't a fever.

Thank you for your kind words
I think she's beautiful myself, I'm very lucky. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one worrying over these silly things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^If the cat was born in 2009, as the info says, the shots were probably the last bit of initial shots that are typically given to kittens in a series.
she was born in Oct last year. But they told me these are the second set of first shots, so the first shots for the first year, if that makes sense

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Ok, and yes, that makes sense. It's just part of the first series.