shot sorness and in heat?

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 5 month old kitten got her 1st rabies shot on Friday. 

Couple of things........she threw up a couple times on Saturday but since then has kept her food down.

Today, Monday she has been acting wierd--not walking on her back legs propering, hunching her back legs down like she is ready to pounce, babying her back legs etc.  We called the vets--they were closed due to memorial day--and the vet on call said it is possible she is sore where she got the shot which was in the hips.  Is this possible?  3 days later?  He said to give her a 1/2 of a baby aspirin.  Thoughts please.  She walks fine at times but then hunkers her back legs down like something is wrong.  She has jumped up on the chair and table.  And a couple times she walks just fine.    She kinda mumbles and little tinyt meows.  But nothing that makes me think she is in distress.

The vet also asked if she was fixed.  He said if she is arching her back, and hunching down with she might be going into heat.  She isn't fixed yet--will be in a couple weeks.  Thoughts please?

This kitten thing is so very new.  Any advice would be appreciated.

kittycatnap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well she is most likely in heat... meaning if you don't want kittens KEEP her in. Her hind legs are just probably sore, from the shot. Also, the behavior problems are from being in heat I would think. I'm just guessing here.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At that age and at this time of year and with those symptoms, yep, she's probably in heat. Keep her inside (might be hard; some cats become escapees when in heat, so be careful!), and 2 weeks from now is a great time to have her spayed.

If you scratch her back end, does she hunker down and kind of knead with her back paws? If so, definitely in heat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We did give her an 1/2 aspirin and she seemed fine all night. But this morning she did it again......stooping down, not extending her back legs, rubbing all over us and making low winy noises. She is howeling or meowing loudly or anything like you "associate" with being in heat. Plus, she isn't 5 months yet--isn't it early to be going into heat????If she is going into heat, is it gradual thing? How long until she is in full heat? We are getting her spayed in 3 weeks. Will it be ok that she is going into heat? Should we wait or try and get her in now? I've never had a cat that wasn't fixed so this is all so new to me. And yes, I will watch her and make sure she doesn't get out.

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I meant to say SHE ISN'T howeling or meowing loudly.

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
willowy--I didn't scratch her back by her tail but when I put my hand back behind her bottom, she arched up stuck out her butt and put her tail up. I didn't notice any kneading.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens can come into call before 5 months old.  Sounds to me like she has, hopefully in 3 weeks she won't be calling.  Ring your vet and check if they can bring it forwards a couple of weeks.  She should be out of call in a week.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah - have just remember you!  Glad to hear she is doing well, even if she is driving you nuts!

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it ok to get her spayed while she is in heat? If she is starting right now, our appointment is June 19--3 weeks from now, will that be an ok time?

kittycatnap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is DEFINITELY okay to spay her while in heat. The tail up thing, means she is in heat for sure. That date is fine just keep her in!!!!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my kitties came into heat when she was 16 weeks old. I've heard of it happening as young as 14 weeks. So not-quite-5-months is totally possible. Yes, she is definitely in heat from what you describe. Different vets have different ideas about when to spay. One vet I talked to said he doesn't mind spaying a cat in heat at all, at any point in her cycle. But my regular vet prefers to spay 10 days after she starts calling (some girls don't howl, but just make soft prrr-ow noises). So he would want her in about a week from today. Call your vet to ask if he has a preference. And decide if you can stand to have her like that for the next 3 weeks :tongue2:.

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We did take her to the vet today.  No fever and the vet felt around and didn't feel anything unusual, and kitty was NOT happy.  But I needed to take her.  The vet said she may be in heat or it could be a little reaction to the rabies shot.  She said that effects could take a week to 10 days.  It is wierd--she acts like she is in heat sometimes but not all the time.  I guess I thought once she started it would conitnue and get worse and it would be a constant thing.  I'm keeping the appointment and getting her fixed. 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 The tail up thing, means she is in heat for sure. 
Not really, even my neutered boys and girls react that way.

One of my breeding girls started before 16 weeks, thankfully the girl I kept didn't inherit the early calling and waited until about 5 months.

First calls are often fairly mild and short, but not always. 

Can't comment on the shot as we don't have Rabies over here.