Shorthair Fur Is Matted/knotted...?

Szewan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello - my adopted 6-yo shorthair ginger boy Pancake just came home a couple of days ago. I am a new cat owner and did some research beforehand and bought some grooming tools beforehand. I have a Zoomgroom rubber brush, a Safari metal flea comb and a Safari slicker brush, and a Furmigator.

This morning I used my tools on Pancake: he seemed the finest with the rubber brush but it only removed some loose hair...the slicker brush and flea comb removed a lot more but he didn’t allow me to brush too long, and his back was a no-no - one point he swatted at me Ouch! But that’s where most of the knots and matted hair is :( I think maybe I tucked his skin?

I haven’t used the Furmigator but I am guessing if he can’t stand the slicker brush, he most likely can’t tolerate Furmigator well. Poor boy - he was in foster care for a year before coming to me and the day he came to me the rescue took him to the vet and they already shaved off a matted spot at the back...God knows when was the last time he had a good brushing. If you guys know of any other tools or tricks that would help to remove the matted hair, I’d appreciate your suggestion...I am attaching a pic for reference.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Brushes and combs just hook mats like this and pull them and the underlying skin, and there's no good way to break up those mats - even cornstarch wouldn't work here I don't believe. The mats need to be literally removed, and then you'll be able to brush him.

If it were me based on experience with my boy, I'd try either a pair of clippers and shave those mats out, or carefully using scissors to cut them out (looking at them I don't think those go down to the skin, so scissors could work without putting his skin at risk). The more I look at them, I'd use scissors. Then you can keep up with maintenance a lot more easily :thumbsup:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There are mat breaker combs which you could take a look at. They will break up and remove mats but you do have to use some pressure if the mat is a bad one. Le Salon Essentials Cat Mat Breaker is one.