Short or medium haired?

Maruna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is almost 6 months old and was advertised as a “semi-long hair”. At a few months old her hair was a lot shorter and I was sure she was a domestic shorthair but as she’s got a bit older it has seemed to thicken and get a bit more fluffy on her belly. Her face had a very defined triangle shape before but the fur has now grown longer around her neck. I have looked at posts that say that long ear hairs and toe tufts and tail hair length are indicators of cats that are longer haired. There are also cats that are short haired as kittens and then sprout long fur in the winter or when they get their adult coat. Do you think she will remain a shorthair or potentially become a medium haired cat? I have put some images that show her fur younger and then also more recently.

Side note- I understand that technically there is no medium-hair as there are only genes/alleles for short and longhair but I am referring to how her coat looks.

Attachments

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
shorthair for sure. People always confuse kitten fuzz as length of fur.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely say shorthair as well. You’re right that there are no “mediumhairs” genetically, it’s just a label given to some cats that may be harder to classify (e.g., shorthairs with slightly longer fur, or kitten coats like cataholic07 cataholic07 mentioned). He is a very cute kitten, by the way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maruna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your help!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say short-haired too. All of the kittens I had grow into 'medium haired' had MUCH longer hair on their tails and between their toes. In fact, they looked like little dandelion puffs!