Short Diary Of A Feral Kitten Slowly Learning About Human Kindness

Shikaslate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I've caught an adorable feral kitten on Sunday July 8th. Unfortunately, we can't keep her so I've found a local cat rescue with a foster system that agreed to take her. In the meantime, she's in my spare bathroom and provided with wet food, fresh water, litter, a bed, and repetitive human interaction.

Here she is right after catching her:

Ears down, terrified, annoyed, covered in fleas and mats. Severely malnourished, hungry, and dehydrated. It was 114°F the previous day. Tries to run away from pettings.

The next day after food and water and lots of love

Flea dip with Dawn soap! She did not fight the bath. Maybe still too weak? I can pet her now with out holding her but she doesn't seem to respond to it.

A little snuggle session on my lap. Future lap cat?

She will now close her eyes when being pet on the cheeks and nose. Very fluffy and soft. Gained a good amount of weight. Unfortunately, she woke up, saw that I'm a scary human and went to her bed soon after.

The next evening after many interactions. Full tummy, barely any fleas, and a warm place to sleep.

Maybe humans aren't so bad? She is now responding to petting sessions. My legs were so numb as I didn't want to interrupt this historic turnover. She didn't want to leave my lap either.

Play session next to her bed this morning with some Christmas tinsel. First time playing since we caught her. Loving being pet now and tail sticks up too.

She's made so much progress in such a short amount of time. We're sad that we'll have to let her go. I know she will find a good home easily after the foster! I hope she brings someone much love and joy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shikaslate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We brought her to her foster home on Saturday so I just want to post some update pics. She gained 1oz per day with us--total 7oz, has no more fleas, and got a good amount of kitty strength and confidence back.

No more fear and cowering in the back of her bed. But sadly I notice she overgrooms her chest. Anxiety or stress? Not used to not having fleas? I hope it goes away after receiving vet care.

Play session before the trip. Too cute! Greatly in need of kitten friends. She will have friends soon :)

It smells like puppy in here! We borrowed this crate from my boyfriend's sister who has many dogs :) She surprisingly took the car ride very well. She rested her head on the lip of her bed and curiously looked around this strange place--nodding off at times from the comforting lull of the car.

It was hard to say goodbye... Allergies bar us from keeping her permanently. I know her future looks good now in the hands of this cat rescue and foster. I can't be thankful enough for the kind people who donate their time, resources, and money to foster and rehab kittens. Thank you for reading :)

theflash82

i don't own my cats, my cats own me
Young Cat
Purraise
She's adorable!! I'm glad she found a good home with you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shikaslate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HAPPY UPDATE! I've been monitoring the cat rescue's social media for any updates on our rescue every once in a while. I had not seen any updates on her and I feared the worst: serious disease/congenital defect/etc that would bar her from adoption. Finally after a month, I discover she has been adopted out to a forever home with a nice young family. She has been named Fern.

I'm trying not to cry! Fern, I know you will have a nice long life with this family. This is exactly what I wished and hoped for! The young girl in this photo (I cropped her out for privacy) will grow up with Fern, create amazing memories with Fern, forever be imprinted on by Fern as I am when I fondly think of my childhood cats, Muffin and Gizmo. Fern will live a life of luxury! For a kitten who was born in a filthy shed and surviving off her starving mother's milk and spiders, you couldn't ask for a better happy ending.

To those who find kittens that they cannot provide necessary care and a forever home themselves, I urge you to visit your local big box pet store, locate the kitty adoption area, write down the cat rescue's name/email/etc that should be posted somewhere there, and send them a call or email. They will happily take the kittens, provide vet care, put them in foster care, then place them in the adoption section at the pet store when they're ready. This will save their life and provide a loving home like with Fern!