Shocked and frustrated!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got a call from Jamie, an employee at the shelter, saying a woman waned me to call her. It was Leanne, the woman who adopted foster Guido from me at Christmas time.

For those who don't remember, Guido is a BIG orange and white boy, a big lovebug. This woman was in love with him, she even brought me cookies and emailed me on how well he was doing! (I even posted the email here because I was so happy.)

I called her back and she told me she is looking to rehome Guido. She said both her and her husband are allergic to Guido and haven't stopped sneezing since they got him. She also said he is lonely and should be in a home with other cats. It was one excuse after another and I literally had to BITE my tongue. I didn't know whether to scream or cry. First she tried to convince me to keep him, and I told her no, that as much as I love him, I am at my limit. I did tell her that I would help spread the word to try to rehome him.

My heart is broken for this guy...
I DON'T GET PEOPLE! I really thought she was a good, sincere adopter!
Please send vibes that I can find Guido a good home soon.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, that really sucks
. Poor Guido... lots of for the big guy. How could these people not know they were allergic to cats?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry!

Sad as it is, this happens.

I do hope your tongue isn't bleeding... I'm sure it was supremely difficult to deal with her.

for Guido! (And for you!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

Aww, that really sucks
. Poor Guido... lots of for the big guy. How could these people not know they were allergic to cats?
She said their previous cat didn't bother them. I think it's just an excuse. I'M allergic to cats! I deal with it. I mean, take a pill. Seriously. ARGH!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. What a load of
. I don't get people either. So, I'm sending lots of new home vibes for Guido..

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to say it's just an excuse as well....people use the allergy excuse all the time.

I am so sorry for you and Guido, Kailie.
I really hope you find him his perfect forever home and hopefully those losers don't get any more animals.

for Guido

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

She said their previous cat didn't bother them. I think it's just an excuse. I'M allergic to cats! I deal with it. I mean, take a pill. Seriously. ARGH!

I believe you're right. If I had a nickle for every time I heard "I'm allergic", I could buy a huge place somewhere and take in ALL the homeless kitties. Allergies CAN be controlled.

Poor Guido.
He's probably better off in a new home if that's the way those people are gonna be.
I hope he finds a SINCERE loving forever home soon!

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Am so sorry to hear this.
to you and Guido. I just do not get people - the number of people you see on Craigslist trying to rehome for frivolous reasons. I am mildly allergic to Hobbes but not Calvin but there is no question of giving up. Pets become a part of your family - how can one even think of rehoming except for extenuating circumstances maybe.
I really really hope that Guido finds a nice and stable family.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I feel your frustration! It is 2011......take a pill. My daughters kids have asthma and the first thing the dr told her was to rehome her cats.

Well, she didn't listen...and guess what? They are no problem to the kids after all these years. And if they were, they would have built an outdoor enclosure and that way kitties would have a nice home and no one is sneezing and suffering. Lots of people do that.

Prayers that Guido gets go good home with people who are devoted to him.

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor Guido! It's so heartbreaking to see animals go from home to home. That really is strange of her but it's better that she contacted you rather than just abandoned him. Sounds like he's a really fantastic boy so I wish him the best finding a new home!

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are the odds that both husband and wife are allergic to cats, their old cat didn't bother them, yet they BOTH get allergy flare ups with a new cat, but not until months after adopting him? Not very good, and it really is a shame that people like that think they can handle a cat when they really want a perfectly trained lap cat that dematerializes every time the person doesn't want to pet a cat. I think Guido probably did something their old cat didn't do behavior-wise, and they immediately decided to rehome him.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She gives one excuse after another then tells you to keep him, wow. Just wow.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rad65

I think Guido probably did something their old cat didn't do behavior-wise, and they immediately decided to rehome him.
Yeah, it could be. Or maybe they are having uncomfortable financial or other problems about which she was too embarrassed to admit and ask for help.

At least she seems serious about rehoming by not dumping the poor guy just anywhere. So I wouldn't necessarily jump to the assumption of callous and insincere.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember Guido--Sweeto.
I wish I could get him! People don't know what they're missing when they give up a kitty--it's very sad. Im sending a zillion that he gets the home he deserves!!! I don't really understand how they both became allergic to him all of a sudden?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rad65

What are the odds that both husband and wife are allergic to cats, their old cat didn't bother them, yet they BOTH get allergy flare ups with a new cat, but not until months after adopting him? Not very good, and it really is a shame that people like that think they can handle a cat when they really want a perfectly trained lap cat that dematerializes every time the person doesn't want to pet a cat. I think Guido probably did something their old cat didn't do behavior-wise, and they immediately decided to rehome him.
I agree 100% hun.
The thing is, they couldn't possibly SK for a better cat! I mean he was with me for months and didn't show a single behavioral problem. He's such a sweetheart, through and through. He loves giving headbutts and kisses. He's pure sweetness, just the epitome of a big, lovey cat.

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is so sad. I don't blame you for being upset! The whole "I'm allergic" is such a lame excuse. My husband is allergic and we have three cats and Pandora sleeps with us. He takes a pill when his allergies are bothering him. There is a pill for just about everything now so one of my favorite sayings is "take a pill!".

I am really sorry.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was allergic to cats when I was a kid, so I just avoided them. Kittens never bothered me, so when I decided to adopt, I went for a kitten hoping my allergies would "grow into" the cat, for lack of a better term. I've had Holland for almost 2 1/2 years and I don't take allergy meds and she's never bothered me. Well, allergy-wise, anyway...

I hope Guido finds a good home. It seems like he shouldn't have any trouble.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh. I'm sorry, hon.
I agree the allergy excuse really makes me mad. It was the same with Tigger and Cuddles and they were 17 already..funny how for 17 years they were not allergic but once they got some pretty bad medical issues, suddenly they were...
My boyfriend is allergic and the doc told him to get rid of the cats. I was so proud of him when he told her just as quickly "Not gonna happen". She hadn't even suggested allergy meds yet..that was just the first thing she wanted to suggest...stupid...especially if you want to call yourself a doctor.
I hope he finds the wonderful home he deserves.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Guido, I wish we lived closer and I had my own place already I would definately say I wanted him I love big cats and lovey ones.