Shih Tzu is withdrawn

cat com

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I made a thread about my 6 year old dog dying a few days ago, I have another dog names stacy who is a two year old Shih Tzu, she grew up with my other dog and after he died she was okay for like 2-3 days, suddenly last night after playing with me, she became a bit lethargic, she was still eating and drinking. I took her to the vet this morning and they ran some blood tests, and she had a minor blood infection, like really minor. So they gave her some antibiotics. But that doesn’t explain the lethargy, she doesn’t have any other symptoms, the vet said it could be depression? Anyone else have any similar experiences or treatments that my help?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Do Dogs Mourn?
How to Help a Grieving Dog
Dog in mourning: Helping our pets cope with loss | Cesar's Way

I absolutely believe that dogs mourn other dogs. When the companion of my present dog passed away 10 years ago, he definitely mourned. If he heard a dog's voice which sounded like hers, he ran to the door. When we went for a walk, he insisted on going the same route we had when the three of us where together because he believed she might be out there. It took time for him to stop being overtly sad; who knows what he thought or maybe still thinks in his very old age about her. You did the right thing to take the Shih Tzu to the vet for treatment for the infection.

The second two articles give some tips for helping a dog facing grief. Interstingly, both mention that reinforcing the grief with too much babying and attention can make it worse.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 shihtzu dogs and I can say that they bond with other dogs just as they bond deeply with their humans. When my lab died, my shihtzu dogs were non-active for more than a week. And when they hear the name of our dog who passed away, they get frantic and search around the house, probably thinking it was still alive somewhere. So I had to bring in another dog, a poodle mix (same color as my lab who passed away). It was only then that they started to come around. Until now when they hear the name of their former buddy their ears would perk up and give you this confusing look on their eyes.

Yes, they can feel the loss and grief too.
I hope your dog feels better soon. Please update us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat com

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys she’s doing much better after having been to the vet a few times and some much needed tlc administration!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry I did not read your thread earlier. I completely agree with the above two members that dogs can definitely grieve. Our shepherd had a BFF, golden retriever, who only lived a block away. They were inseparable and spent every day together regardless of weather. In fact, when I'd call my neighbor to see if she was home he would hear me say her name and run to the back door where I kept his leash. Unfortunately she got cancer which is common in many goldens and passed away. He would pull me toward her house on our walks and I couldn't bear to take him past it. His heart was broken as was mine. 💔

cat com cat com I'm sorry your shih tzu is going through this but glad to hear she's doing better now. :hugs: