She's so beautiful...

elyse449

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi to all!

I am being "watched" by a young female grey kitty who has befriended my elder kitty, Bailey! She's quite "wild" and I can't get her to even come to me and when I SPEAK to her she runs...lol. Any advice? She's been around the house for about a week now, comes mostly at nightfall...she's a doll, an absolute cutie pie. I figure maybe I'll just put food out and bring in my cat so he doesn't eat it and see. It's been a long while since we've had any ferals around here so I'm at a loss.

Elyse

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ferals are so different from domesticated cats, in that their trust factor is fairly low. It can take weeks, months even years to gain a feral's trust. The best thing you can do is provide food and water for this little girl, and if you know of someone that has a humane cat trap, then borrow it and trap her. But, be sure that you have an isolated quiet room to put her in while you go about gaining her trust. Just giving her food and water will not be enough to gain her trust as she has undoubtedly been hurt by other humans and quite simply does not trust.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elyse449

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's really cute though. Last week while at the computer my husband comes in and says, "honey, there's another cat with Bailey on the porch and she's trying to come in!!" So I go look and sure enough she's got her front paws in the door....but it was so dark, I don't know if it was her or another cat but she ran off when I started to bring her food.

Last night for example; it's hot so I open our front door for fresh air and than walk over to sit down on the couch and whose head do I see poke in the door? Hers...she pokes it in, looks at me and I says, "Hi Sweetheart" and she takes off, lol--think she knows I like her but you're right, she doesn't trust yet. I've only seen her these past 2 weeks or so...caught glimpses of her going through my yard and things but only this past week she's been on my porch trying to come in my home along with my other cat who it seems is almost urging her to.

I'm assuming she's a girl, my old fella usually doesn't tolerate other male cats even though he's neutered. I wish I knew someone w/ a trap because you see we may end up having to move in the next month or so and I hate for the pound to get her...but she's pretty stealthy anyway, doubt they COULD get her-lol

Elyse

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you are comfortable having your door open for an extended period of time, I would set a bowl of choice food right at the door opening. When she shows up, don't even look at her, especially in her face (ferals take that as an open threat) and just ignore her, let her eat and she will leave. I would do this on a schedule every day same time, and slowly very slowly I would move the bowl inside the house in small degrees. Once she can come in and eat, without being bothered and without flinching, then you have a choice, you can get someone to go around and shut your door BUT then you are going to have a pissed off, scared feral kitty loose in your house and let me tell you, I have one that if I do this to him, he will eat the walls trying to get out literally. But if you leave the door open and let it be her choice then she might start trusting you quicker, it is a hard call being as I am not there to see her and how she responds. I only deal with ferals and right now I have 14 all who came her wilder than a march hare and who have been socialized and have gradually decided that trusting me is a good idea. I will be happy to help you with her, just drop me an email or PM through this site and we can go from there. Plus others, lotsocats, badhabit and others do ferals. It is not an easy thing to win their trust, but boy when you do, it is like winning the lottery!

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Hissy has the perfect plan. But, if you want to trap her, you might call the local humane society and see whether you can borrow or rent a humane trap for a few nights. I have used humane society traps in the past with great success. If you decide to use a trap, let us know so we can give you good trapping advice.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elyse449

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both of you! That's too true about the looking in the face thing...poor lil dear, ok I'll bare that in mind now for sure. I'll try your advice and see if it works...of course w/ all the ruckus outside w/ the fourth of July coming up she may be gone by now...but I must admit that I hope she ISN'T!

I'll give it a week and see if she comes around and than I may try to find a humane trap somewhere. Any advice is helpful and appreciated you two!!! I'd love to IM w/ you but I'm on AOL, anyone else??

Elyse

debra myers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elyse - Good luck with your new little girl. I am praying for her and you and I hope that you will gain her trust! Please let us know how you make out!