She's Scratching On Wooden Furniture

buddybellamom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greeting cat lovers! My Kit (1 year old now, wow) has taken to scratching on a particular piece of furniture in our family room. It looks very similar to this, but with the swans facing butt to butt. The swans are wood, and she scratches the wings. She has plenty of scratching things of her own, one is right next to this table. How can I get her to stop scratching this? It's only the wings she goes after.
Thanks for any suggestions you have...

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best guess: it's the angle at which the swans' wings are set which draws her, as it's a comfortable scratching position. Perhaps a scratching post similarly angled, and placed very near the swan pedestal would entice her equally, and save the swans' wooden feather from further destruction?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buddybellamom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hmm...while not angled, her tall scratch post is literally right next to this table. I might put it out in front of the table temporarily

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Is her scratching post made of something other than wood? Some cats like to sharpen claws on carpet, some like cardboard, and unfortunately some like the feel of wood. Fortunately a wood scratching post is easy to make - its possible all you need is to lay down a piece of wood or fasten it onto her current post.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two cats that prefer wood furniture over traditional cat scratchers. My male has all but shredded my oak coffee table legs. When I covered those with clear plastic tape he went after my solid oak bed posts. I think the oak is just soft enough to penetrate but not too soft like carpet or twine . My female likes base boards lol. Ive yet to discover an alternate that they prefer. If you find something that works let me know!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Build or have someone build a wood scratch post for you, just nail a 4 inch x 4 inch couple feet high wood post to a 2 foot square flat wood base.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buddybellamom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is her scratching post made of something other than wood? Some cats like to sharpen claws on carpet, some like cardboard, and unfortunately some like the feel of wood. Fortunately a wood scratching post is easy to make - its possible all you need is to lay down a piece of wood or fasten it onto her current post.
SHe has: cardboard, carpet, and sisel rope scratchers. The post that is next to the table has a square carpet base and a 2 fit high post that is half carpet and half sisel rope. She has a slanted corrigated cardboard and a flat corrigated cardboard scratcher as well.

Hmm...daughter just reminded me that she will go first to the post, then go right over to the swans...lol, like she needs to finish the job on the wood. Thankfully she has NOT discovered the big thick coffee table legs ;) I might ask hubs to make her a wood scratcher.

How can I keep her off of there in the meantime though? That's the dilemna of the moment.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All you have to do is figure out a way to make a tire, or part of a tire, pretty.
If your cat won't scratch a tire, it's because it's never had the opportunity.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:clap2::clap2:They make a tape for this too. You can get it at the pet store. Or just use wide packing tape. Tape the cats favorite wooden scratching areas and you should be good. But, she will then go to another wooden surface in sure, so I'd probably tape those off before she gets the chance. Then have the alternative scratcher available. Hopefully she'll use that. One of mine loves those rubber puzzle mats. The kind you might see in a day care. Those have saved us! They might not be the most attractive but I put them in front of the litter boxes to help with tracking litter so they have a Multi function :clap2:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you fill in between the swans? Apply sticky tape to the wings? Give her a proper cat tree? My cats rejected that dinky wobbly 2 foot pole by the time they were around 6 months. My guys also have many cardboard scratchers/furniture... they still like to stretch big on the angle of their tall cardboard scratcher inset in their cat tree.