She's changed

LovelyStyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

My 3-year-old Tabby's behavior has significantly changed in the past month or two. She has become gluttonous, demanding to eat 3 times a day. She is extremely vocal and will chirp and cry until I relent.
As I live in a loft condominium with an open floor plan and no walls between areas (except the bathroom, of course) she realizes she "has me". It's no food, no peace in my household.

In order to get to sleep without attack, I have to feed her at my bedtime. She wakes me up by doing military-style laps around the perimeter of my bed so I can give her morning meal. However, she also realizes I'm home all day (working from home) and starts her chirping and crying routine. At times she has made my teleconferences problematic. She has put on a pound over the last 6 months and doesn't exercise enough. At this rate, she will be overweight in the not-too-distant future. I'm speaking health, not vanity.

To help her manage her weight I've been told to feed moist food instead of dry, which has a high level of carbohydrates. I had been buying indoor cat dry food for her and we are in discord about that as she doesn't too much care for the food. Attempts at giving her less food result in "not enough food, no peace". However, when she gets hungry enough she will eat it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I should proceed with her? Tomorrow suppose to be
see the vet for blood work and perhaps even an x-ray. Words of wisdom and support are welcome.

Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Glad you are taking her to the vet for a check up! Not that it provides you with a resolution (although, I echo V verna davies 's suggestion), does this change coincide with when you started working from home? If so, then that is likely part of the issue. I am guessing that if you are there she expects constant attention from you - be that food or play or cuddling!!

Unfortunately for her, I guess the bathroom is where she needs to go when you have a teleconference. Even though you are fighting a food issue, I would still give her a bit of food while she is confined to the bathroom - you don't want it to be viewed as some sort of punishment when you have to place her there.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I would try feeding wet only during the day, its more filling and less calorific. You could leave a small amount of dry food out overnight that she can nibble on.
I agree with trying to feed another type of food, preferably wet. Here is an Article that discusses how to transition properly:
Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food

She has put on a pound over the last 6 months and doesn't exercise enough.
Exercise can definitely play a part in tiring a cat out, people too. 😉 I thought this Article about the best toys for lazy cats might give you some ideas: 17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LovelyStyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

Unfortunately, There's a bit more about "she's changed". Every morning she would jump on my lap while I drink my coffee and do my work. Sometimes she'd even fall asleep there. Now she rarely does that and won't stay for long. She won't let me pick her up, although I know cats don't care for it, she would let me. Now she hissed at me and jumped from my arms. In the 2 years I've had her she has never hissed at me when I've done it. I've noticed that when I pet her left-hand sideshe bites at me so I'm taking her for x-rays. I hope I didn't accidently hurt her when I recently had to pick up her up to be put in the carrier. How will she ever trust me and forgive me.....unless I give her all the food she wants? Could these personality changes have been caused by her hitting her head hard, like a human brain injury? I want my cat back!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did you take her to the vet? Anything come of that check up? So, you think she hit her head on the carrier to/from the vet? Is it a hard sided carrier? I can't imagine that she could have hit it hard enough to cause a brain injury, as I am sure you would be seeing signs of trauma. What part of her side does she not want you to pet - close to the head, closer to her back leg? If you really think somehow you accidently hurt her while getting her into the carrier, then, yes x-rays are a good idea. Is she still eating/drinking/peeing/pooping OK?

I hope nothing shows up in the x-rays. It is my guess between you being home all the time, and then taking her to the vet, the combination of things has just riled her up a bit. If you have already made changes to her food, and she is a little hungry from that or isn't crazy about the food, that too could put her off some too.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LovelyStyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. Thanks.

My friend cautioned me about worrying too much, all the time. She's an only cat, I say.

I always worry about her hitting things and herself the wrong way, as I live in a small apartment now. Maybe she was just a bit bruised from play? So I stopped trying to pick her up and now she comes to me. I touch her side and she doesn't pull away. So since it seems she would allow me to pick her up and there were never signs of trauma, I'm going to wait on vet trip. She's more playful now. More affectionate. Still eating, peeing, pooping. She even jumped in my lap and took a nap and a few days later she let me pick her up! She's adjusting to the reduction of food, too. About ten grams less each day, following a switch to primarily moist food. Less hostility. We've been together 24 hours a day for 3 months now in a small space. Maybe she's tired of me sometimes (LOL).

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
She's more playful now. More affectionate. Still eating, peeing, pooping. She even jumped in my lap and took a nap and a few days later she let me pick her up! She's adjusting to the reduction of food, too.
Thanks for the update, that's great news! :thumbsup: And please tell your friend you can't worry enough about your cat.😉 You're in good company here. We all understand how you feel.🤗