shelter or my home?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
on the way to take my daughter to work, we passed a box on the side of the road.I paid no attention to it,as I saw it earlier today....and thought it was just garbage(people are famous for dumping trash around here)
My daughter happened to look back and hollered STOP MOM there is something in the box.So, I backed up and saw a head poke out.I pulled over,and she got out.There was a cat in the box with a blanket.As she got closer,the cat hissed and growled.So, I told her to be careful.
She got down and looked into the box,and there inside were kittens.We didn't count them or look at them.I had her close the box up and load it in the truck with us.I got home and opened the box...of course momma hissed not sure of what my intentions were.I gave her some food and water,and left them alone in my bathroom in my garden tub.
I gave her about 3 hours to get used to her new surroundings,and peeked into the open box.There are 6 kittens in it.I petted her and talked to her so she would know I meant no harm.I picked up one of the kittens----OMG they still have their cords attached to them!!!!
I asked my husband to look at the kitten real quick.He is estimating them at NO more than 3 days old!!!!

SOME ____________________ decided to DUMP a momma cat and her DAY old babies on the side of the road like trash!!!!!

Thankfully my daughter looked at the box--who knows what their fate would have been

Now onto my question----would they be better off at a shelter or in my home? I have NO desire to have ANY more animals to be honest! All of our animals are older and fixed,and I don't want to do the newborn/infant stage.My son has health issues and we were told NO cats around him because of his lungs.
The momma and babies are safe in my bathroom--where they away from Jazzy.They have plenty of quite there also.
Would they be better off in a shelter where there are other animals? Where they will be able to be adopted out when they are old enough? Or at my home confined to my bathroom?
I worry about diseases if they go to the shelter.But, I don't really HONESTLY want any more animals.That being said,I WILL NOT PUT THEM BACK OUTSIDE TO FACE DEATH...and I WILL NOT DROP THEM!
I just don't know what is best for them? What would you do?

tinykittee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow..crazy stuff
bless you for taking them in ..

how about call your vet or any vet and see if they have someone who can take them in?

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG that is horrible. I have no advice on which would be better, only a thank you for helping these poor helpless babies.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you cannot take them.... I would look on petfinder at local rescue groups in your area and start an email campaign contacting them. They have foster home resources. At the shelter, the new babies would be exposed to so much sickness, Momma, too. If you can keep them in your bathroom until you can find a foster home, would great.
Just tell them about your son and that you cannot keep them, that they are newborns. Poor babies.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how people live with themselves. Sickening. I comfort myself with the belief that they will get theirs in the end.

Bless you and your daughter for the rescue.
I don't have anything to add to the advice already given. Call your vet, I know my clinic will take in rescued families such as you describe.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with the others. Shelters is no good alternative, unless they do have vacant fostering homes empty and ready at the moment.
But it si worth a try to contact them around - if they can so they can.

Normally, I would recommend YOU to be such a foster home - good if some shelter supports you with vets costs and such - but you being the foster home for them. Obey the fate! as I say.

But I / we do understand more than enough the health issues. Like the cat moms foremost duty is to defend her children, so is yours first duty to defend your child.

So you must find another solution. Perhaps you do have som relative, friend, neighbour who can be this fostering home I did skissed above? With some of your advices, and hopefully, a shelter / rescue group helping??

Tx a lot for helping this our sister and small brethrens in need!

Good luck!

ps I suppose you know all the advices for allergics who do have a cat?
I presume most of these advices may be useful also in your situation. Cat or no cat.

ps 2 about the abandoners: Bad, but they at least abandoned the whole family fairly safe where they probably would be found. Some do abandon them incaged, in the middle of the wood... Gods wrath on these!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

ps 2 about the abandoners: Bad, but they at least abandoned the whole family fairly safe where they probably would be found. Some do abandon them incaged, in the middle of the wood... Gods wrath on these!
I understood that they were put in a box on the side of the road. Maybe I'm cynic but I've read before of people who put boxes of kittens in traffic,deliberately to let them be killed, and I took this to be a similar case.

Either scenario it's abandoning animals and inhumane

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes,they were placed on the side of the road with a bag of trash next to them.It poured the rain this morning.I can ONLY imagine what would have happened had we not found them.
I think they placed them there,with the trash next to it--so anyone going by would NOT think to look into the box--thinking it was also trash.
Thank GOD my daughter thought to look at the box.She said the way it was sitting, she figured something was in it--like a pupppy.NEVER thinking it would be day old kittens and a momma.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Agree with the others. Shelters is no good alternative, unless they do have vacant fostering homes empty and ready at the moment.
But it si worth a try to contact them around - if they can so they can.

Normally, I would recommend YOU to be such a foster home - good if some shelter supports you with vets costs and such - but you being the foster home for them. Obey the fate! as I say.

But I / we do understand more than enough the health issues. Like the cat moms foremost duty is to defend her children, so is yours first duty to defend your child.

So you must find another solution. Perhaps you do have som relative, friend, neighbour who can be this fostering home I did skissed above? With some of your advices, and hopefully, a shelter / rescue group helping??

Tx a lot for helping this our sister and small brethrens in need!

Good luck!

ps I suppose you know all the advices for allergics who do have a cat?
I presume most of these advices may be useful also in your situation. Cat or no cat.

allergies really aren't to much of an issues.It's his asthma and if you remember, he is the one that had Plueral Effusion and had to have Lung surgery.So, we were told what he was NOT allowed around and etc.
I do have a huge HEPA filter thing going right now.So, I hope that will help keep him from getting sick.
The momma must have been an outside cat--as she decided to poop and pee on my bedroom carpet
even though there is a BRAND new litter box RIGHT next to her.So, at 4am, I was cleaning that mess up.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

yes,they were placed on the side of the road with a bag of trash next to them.It poured the rain this morning.I can ONLY imagine what would have happened had we not found them.
I think they placed them there,with the trash next to it--so anyone going by would NOT think to look into the box--thinking it was also trash.
Thank GOD my daughter thought to look at the box.She said the way it was sitting, she figured something was in it--like a pupppy.NEVER thinking it would be day old kittens and a momma.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1046752481
I still think the dumper hoped they would be found. But it is embarrasing to be taken as a cat dumper, it is easier if onlookers thinks he is just dumping some trash, and some old box.

Anyway, you do have at your home an absolutely adorable beauttiful momma. A stunning beauty!

The kittens adorable, and seems also to be more or less similiar? two more dark but also them with some stripes?
EDIT: I was too quick: I saw only four at this first glance. At a second glance I see two more under moms foreleg. These two are patched.

Hope you can find some good solution for them which feels also comfortable for you.
Although you do have some work to do to achieve it.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, I never saw anything so beautiful in my life. Where are you located?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
from what I can tell, we have a calico, a mostly white with some calico,and some dark ones with stripes.....one or two of those,appear to have some calico in them also.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not sure why this was moved? They are NOT in any danger here.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The S.O.S. forum is not only for cats in danger, but cats in need. You need to find a foster home.

Pam's suggestion was a good one. Search on Petfinder for just "cat" in your zip code, and start e-mailing those with foster networks. The timing is such that the April babies are being adopted out, you may get lucky. One thing I highly recommend is keeping a list of the organizations you contact and the e-mail address of the contact. Most use personal e-mail addresses, so it can be impossible to figure out who has answered you and who hasn't if you don't keep track of what e-mail addy goes with which org.

I would also definitely stop by at least your vet's office and let them know the situation - ask if they know anyone who fosters or might be willing to foster, or if they know of any foster networks or shelters with foster networks you can contact.
Each of the vets we use and work with know people that can be contacted in such a situation.

for the kitties and momma - and that you're able to find a great foster network/home for them.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have stopped by my Vets,called our other Vet and also a Rescue Group.Both Vets said to call the Rescue group.Rescue group says they are FULL and there is a waiting list to get pets in there.
So, other than keep them here---anyone have ANY other suggestions?
I do NOT want to take them to a shelter to subject them to diseases.....or to be put down because of over population.
I REALLY truly do NOT need them here,because of Seth.But, I honestly see NO other choice but to do that.Atleast until there is an opening in the Rescue,they are old enough to be adopted or old enough to go to the Shelter.
I REALLY HATE PEOPLE SOMETIMES!!!

newt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Crittermom, you and your daughter have done a wonderful thing! I looked at the NetPets sites for a cat rescue in WV and couldn't find any! So, I searched in neighboring states. There are some in Ohio, with one in Lancaster being just a couple of hours away from you. Columbus OH, and Lancaster, OH, are about 3 hours away from you. If you can find a rescue there, maybe they could meet you half way.
http://www.netpets.org/cats/catresc/groups/ohio.html

Feel free to search other states and even contact them to see if they have contacts that aren't listed.
http://www.netpets.org/cats/catresc/grpstate.html

I hope that helps,
Newt

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks so much hon!!! WILL check into them!
We are dealing with the aftermath of flooding right now

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm sorry you are in an area that is flooding. Imagine if you hadn't taken that little fur family in. You are true Angels. (and heroes, too)

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks hon!If they would have been left beside the road,they would have died for sure!!
I checked the sexes of the babies tonight.First time I actually picked them up--trying not to stress them or Mom out.We have 4 boys and 2 girls.