ShelfReliance Thrive Freeze Dry Chicken?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As some of you know, freeze dry chicken can cost a pretty penny. I pay $69 for the large 16oz bag from Whole Life.
Well, I found this product, a brand of emergency foods:
http://www.shelfreliance.com/freeze-dried-chopped-chicken.html
It is 100% pure cooked chicken, obviously human grade, no additives, freeze dried. It is also 0.4lbs more, and including shipping, about $25 less....... Sounded like a no brainer!
Hopefully the kitties will like, otherwise I will be eating a lot of chicken salad sandwich! :lol3:
Have you guys ever heard of it? I mainly crumble it as a powder to use as a topper so I am not concerned at the size of the chunks (this seems to be cubes rather than strips like whole life) , so I don't think it will matter.... Sometimes I do feed Whole meals out of it, when the kids throw up.... Tonight for example, when miss Hope ate too fast :rolleyes:
Anyways, I will report back with the feline feedback :cross:

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like good stuff.  Let us know how the kitties like it.  I also like having freeze dried stuff on hand for when someone throws up a meal and then needs a replacement meal.  We use it for snacks and toppers too. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent! I can't imagine they won't like it - and saving $25 for each similar-sized bag would be wonderful. :clap:
Correction - the Whole life is actually 21oz :rolleyes:
But still, $25 more..... so oz by oz (including shipping)
Whole Life (free shipping from Amazon): $3.29/oz
ShelfReliance: $1.95

I am hoping they like it...... I am ALL about saving $$$$$ :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap: 100% kitty approved :woohoo:
It got here today- they went insane for it, just as much as they do for WL!
The chunks are much smaller though, small cubes, and there is a lot of powder.... Is perfect to give as treats, and EXCELLENT as a topper. No more WL for me, saving $25 per pack will be awesome :bigthumb:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh YAY!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: The smaller pieces and lots of powder will work perfectly for us! :bigthumb: Thanks so much for finding this and sharing, Carolina!

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just received this today and had to do the math to compare to the purebites treats.....

Shelf Reliance - $2.37 per ounce (with shipping included)

Pure Bites - $4.98 per ounce (no shipping since I could pick them up locally) 

Yay!  I love saving money (not that I would buy the pure bites anyways...too expensive.)  Thanks Carolina!  Our cats have a big supply of a yummy treat and topper.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just received this today and had to do the math to compare to the purebites treats.....

Shelf Reliance - $2.37 per ounce (with shipping included)

Pure Bites - $4.98 per ounce (no shipping since I could pick them up locally) 

Yay!  I love saving money (not that I would buy the pure bites anyways...too expensive.)  Thanks Carolina!  Our cats have a big supply of a yummy treat and topper.
Cool! The only problem is that they are quite the tasty snack... Now it's one for you, one for you, one for you, three for me :crackup:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could I ask a questions about FD chicken? If a cat doesn't like raw chicken or canned chicken, is there any chance she'll like the FD chicken? I've been hesitant to get it because she's just not a fan of chicken, and it's expensive so I would hate to spend money on it and have it go to waste.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's really hard to say. I suspect that if kitty didn't like chicken, kitty probably wouldn't like FD chicken. Maybe buy a small package at a pet store first to see? (Know anyone with a cat or dog you could give it to if she doesn't like it?)

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's what I thought. My pet store only carries the big bags of Stella and Chewy's but I might try to order a small bag with my next online order. Thanks!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh! When we chat about freeze dried chicken as a topper, we're usually talking not about the meals (which is what Stella & Chewy's is - a complete freeze dried food, meant for rehydration), but freeze dried meats, meant to be used as a treat. Nothing but chicken (or turkey, or liver, or shrimp, or salmon...). Many of us used Whole Foods treats to crush into powder as a topper, until Carolina found the Shelf Reliance, which for the chicken is cheaper. But Shelf Reliance also carries freeze dried ham, which might make a great topper. :nod:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooops, sorry. It's not Whole Foods - that's the supermarket. :lol3: The brand is Whole Life. I buy the stuff on Amazon. :nod:

It's easier to learn if people like me don't make silly mistakes. :D

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Could I ask a questions about FD chicken? If a cat doesn't like raw chicken or canned chicken, is there any chance she'll like the FD chicken? I've been hesitant to get it because she's just not a fan of chicken, and it's expensive so I would hate to spend money on it and have it go to waste.
None of my cats like raw chicken, nor do they like canned food with chicken in it, HOWEVER, they all LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, freeze dried chicken.  Who can figure out cats
.  Oh, and they don't like the small packets of Stella and Chewy's, because those are not in chunks, but are more powder.  They want their S & C in chunk form! 

Mine seem to like Purebites chicken much better than WholeLife, when used as a topper.  It's a consistency thing.  So that brings up a question for those of you who have purchased the Shelf Reliance.  When you break it up, does it powder, or does it flake?  I find Wholelife powders, and Purebites flakes.  Again, I don't know why my furkids care, but they do... they seem to prefer the flakes vs powder.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of my cats like raw chicken, nor do they like canned food with chicken in it, HOWEVER, they all LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, freeze dried chicken.  Who can figure out cats :dk: .  Oh, and they don't like the small packets of Stella and Chewy's, because those are not in chunks, but are more powder.  They want their S & C in chunk form! 

Mine seem to like Purebites chicken much better than WholeLife, when used as a topper.  It's a consistency thing.  So that brings up a question for those of you who have purchased the Shelf Reliance.  When you break it up, does it powder, or does it flake?  I find Wholelife powders, and Purebites flakes.  Again, I don't know why my furkids care, but they do... they seem to prefer the flakes vs powder.
Queen Eva won't eat the Stella&Chewy's once I get to the powder in the bottom of the bag either. Jennie will, though.

I'm reading with interest on the FD chicken, because I use Pure Bites, and like yours, I need pieces and flakes more than powder for the purpose I use it for. Plus, it takes so long to use up even a 1.09 ounce bag of the Pure Bites, I wouldn't want anything larger because freshness becomes an issue. Again, Jennie isn't picky, she'll eat powder, and non-fresh besides. But Mazy and Queen Eva won't.

Last edited: