Shedding like crazy when on wet food

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello
I noticed a strange thing happened and I want to share it with you. My cat was thriving on (Royal Canin gastrointestinal dry food) skin, coat, poop, health all seemed fine. Then I wanted to pamper him and bought him Royal Canin wet food.
When brushing him, he seemed to shed a lot when on wet food. I cut the wet food then shedding became less.
My cat is a short hair.
Does thing happened before? Any idea!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could he be a little stressed from you switching food on him? Stressed and frightened cats shed a tremendous amount. When frightened it could be instantaneous.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom about it possibly being tied to seasonal changes. And, generally speaking canned food is really better for a cat's coat than dry. However, since you have your cat on gastrointestinal food, I assume he has a sensitive stomach/digestive tract, so you might compare the ingredients in the dry with the ones in the canned food to see if there are any differences that could suggest he has a allergy or sensitivity to something in the canned that is not in the dry food. If not, give him the canned food and see it the same thing happens again. With any luck at all, it won't!!!

Husky44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our short haired cat started shedding like crazy once the temp got above 60, same every year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You guys were right.. it's the temp. Thank you very much for the assistance 😽