She Peed On Me While I Was Sleeping !!!!!

Leslie June

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's how I woke up this morning...... she peed on my feet.
Otherwise, she's a good cat.
And she's my son's cat. I'm a dog person and I believe cats have "ways" of getting at you.
I think she's happy and she has trained me to play fetch so I think she likes me.
She did this a few weeks ago...... peed on my bed...... but she stopped, until this morning.
Should I be getting her checked out?? Or is she mad at me??

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear about this.

Cats go outside of the litter box for 2 main reasons: Medical (pain) and Behavioral (territorial insecurity usually).

I like to rule out medical (infection, pain) first as it is the easiest.

BUT, given this it very well could be driven by an insecurity. So both instances were on the bed? Was the cat blocked off from this room at any time? Was there any incident in this room? When a cat goes on something they are usually saying "this is mine, I own this". It is driven by an insecurity of ownership. It could be driven by a male marking outside (do you have ferals in the neighborhood?), it could be driven by closing territory off that they once had ownership of. Things like that. l We need to play detective and think about what might have changed.

How does she act in your bedroom? Does she walk confidently with her tail up? Or does she slink around, avoid areas or hide at all?

So I would suggest a few things. Please step up play with the cat. Make the toy act like prey, like a mouse or a bird. Get the cat to stalk it and pounce. Then repeat the process. After play feed treats or a meal. I would like you to be playing with her and feeding her. Especially in the bedroom where she is going. This replicates the Hunt, Capture, Kill, Eat instincts of the wild. It builds a lot of confidence and territorial ownership. She will feel less likely the need to mark to own this territory if she feels like she already owns it. Also, try to play with her in other areas if possible but let's focus on the bedroom if time is an issue. Also, try to just feed her treats or her meals. I want to build a little more of a bond with her. Cats also take on our emotions so please be as calm and confident around her as possible.

Is there any more stress in the house? Any animals around? Any workers that came into the house recently? Anything to break up the routine?

Let's try this. I typically recommend going to the vet to rule out medical first but this sounds a bit different.

We'll figure this out. Something caused a change in the behavior, we just need to think about what that was. The play should build the confidence and end this behavior (unless it is medical). Don't worry, we will figure this out, I will be with you for as long as needed. Please share as much information as possible as the more information available it is easier to figure out what is causing it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leslie June

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. It's been and few days, she hasn't done it again and I have made a few changes. It was suggested that she may not like her litter and neither did I so I switched to something that is not clay. I hated the dust and thought "how can she stand it in a box closed up with it". And I was cleaning the litter every other day....... I've started doing it every day. I'm not a cat person so I'm learning. And actually.... she is my son's cat...... I have moved in.
Also, I had a mattress topper that was ready to be replaced. I used to have a dog that slept with me and thought maybe that was it so, new mattress topper.
She seems fine every other way, no insecurities. I don't lock her out of my room cause I read that they stand outside the door and cry cause they love you so much and I think that's a pretty good reason to be in the room with me.
Having a chance to think about your reply, there were a few things that happened around that time that may have contributed. I was vacuuming under a desk and she was right there with me.
I forgot to warn her that I was turning on the vacuum and it scared her...... she used my foot as a take off point...... pretty deep scratch. She got out on the balcony twice in one day and I brought her back in. She normally doesn't bother with it but that day....???? And the only thing that changed in the apartment was , I put up blinds in the living-room. All this within a day or two.
And as for playing..... she has taught me to play fetch. I flung a hair band one day and then I started to notice that every time I turned around..... it was behind me, and she was sitting there staring at me. And I have gotten to be an expert at bouncing it off the walls and around corners.
I noticed yesterday, she did stalk it when it went around a corner.
So....... I'm hoping she it fine...... if not, I'll be back.
I'm not a cat person ....... but I like this cat.
Thank you for your advice, it was very helpful.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like you are a cat person and didn't know it. Lol. That's alot of changes to her territory in a short amount of time. It may have contributed to your pee covered foot situation. Put a waterproof protector on the mattress for now so that it's easy to clean up and the pee doesn't ruin it and continue to engage her and let her know your a 'cat' person.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she ? Has she been spayed ? I had a young cat who started urinating on places where our other cat liked to sleep. She quit doing it after she was spayed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leslie June

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is she ? Has she been spayed ? I had a young cat who started urinating on places where our other cat liked to sleep. She quit doing it after she was spayed.
She has been spayed. and She's around 2 years old. She slept with me last night and didn't even go near the spot, so maybe could could smell my dog on the mattress topper.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too think you are a great cat parent!!

The dog smell could have caused insecurity. Cats mark to say "hey, I own this, this is mine, stay away" when they are afraid. unknown animals (cats, dogs) can definitely causing marking/going.

That was a lot of change and stress can cause this behavior.

Keep playing with her (as long as the hair band isn't risky to be swallowed etc). Make the toy act like prey (a bird, a mouse). Get her to stalk it and then pounce on it. Then repeat. Do this for a while then feed either treats or a meal. This replicates what they do in the wild, their instinct. replicates Hunt, Capture, Kill, Eat. It builds confidence and confident cats are not worried about their territory because they know they own it and therefore they don't feel the need to mark.

Cats do take on our emotions so the more calm and confident and loving we are with them they tend to feel that way as well and that also builds trust and confidence.

I think you are doing a great job with the cat. We are always here if you need us. Always feel free to ask anything anytime. Happy to help.