Shaving A Longhair Cat?

dustytiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my longhair kitties' fur is really thick and lovely but she sheds SO much and while I brush her either daily or every other day, she's still shedding up a storm. She gets hairballs, her fur is everywhere--when I brush her she lets out like four brush-fulls of fur at least. It's crazy. She still gets matted bits even when I'm grooming her daily. Plus I think I've seen just a little bit of dandruff around the base of her tail.
I'm thinking about maybe taking her to a groomer and having her fur cut shorter but...
Tbh, I've never had that done to a cat before and I'm a little nervous about it. I tried doing some research but I've seen a lot of articles going both ways. I don't want to traumatize her, either.
I dunno, does anybody else have their cats shaved? I've seen pictures of lion cuts and things like that, but idk, is it a good idea for the cat?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just do my boy's belly, he has that cottony stick-to-itself fur on his tummy that's just impossible. When it gets to a certain length all I have to do is look at it wrong and it mats.

You could have her shaved (maybe even by your vet?) and then keep up with grooming her body, and regularly trim where it usually mats before it gets too long. That way your wallet and your kitty will be happier :)

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you you are in the northern hemisphere, it is approaching peak shedding season. Does she have this problem all the time?