Shaved Leg Hair Regrowth? Pain?

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had a chunk of her back leg shaved for a procedure at the beginning of December and the hair hasn't grown back yet. It doesn't look like it's growing back, either. How long does it usually take? She had her tummy shaved for an ultrasound and the hair there seems to be growing though.

Also, could she be in pain because of it, having her leg exposed? It looks like it could be painful or uncomfortable at the least. She doesn't seem to be limping or anything, but I feel like being exposed like that would feel weird...then again, I'm not a cat!

She's on Prednisolone and Theophylline, would that be contributing?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had a chunk of her back leg shaved for a procedure at the beginning of December and the hair hasn't grown back yet. It doesn't look like it's growing back, either. How long does it usually take? She had her tummy shaved for an ultrasound and the hair there seems to be growing though. ...
She's on Prednisolone and Theophylline, would that be contributing?
Yes, corticosteroids --especially if taken long-term-- can affect hair growth and/or cause some hair loss. My cat is on them. When she had her first knee surgery, she'd been on steroids for a lesser length of time then when she had had her 2nd surgery a year later. Having been on steroids for that longer period, it took her a bit longer for her shaved areas to grow back hair after the 2nd surgery. She still has times she licks her forearms (overgrooming), but her back leg hair has grown back completely now.
Cat Fur Not Growing/growing Super Slow

It may take a few extra weeks for hair regrowth for your kitty too, if that is what is causing it for your cat. (I'm not totally sure regarding your cat, but it's possible that she is also licking more at the leg than on her tummy, and hence, that leg hair is just having a "harder hill to climb" in trying to grow back? Maybe any possible regrowth of the smaller hairs on her leg is just getting groomed off more frequently.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When Feeby had bladder surgery 9 years ago (she was around 5 or so at the time), she had her leg shaved as well - and, that spot has never filled in completely. What little that did grow back took years. She has never been on steroids either; so, for her it was apparently 'normal'. Or, perhaps as PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws said, maybe Feeby grooms that spot more often than the rest of her - although I can't say for sure that I have noticed that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
that spot has never filled in completely. What little that did grow back took years.
:(
When I posted this I had never even seen her lick that area, but I did just now. I don't think it was excessive, though. But she does seem to lick her front legs and paws a lot...

I hope Maya's doesn't take too long to grow back...

Could this cause her stress?

My baby!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could this cause her stress?
I suppose it is possible, but Feeby didn't/doesn't seem to care. Maybe that's because Feeby is just so laid back most of the time.

I hope Maya's grows back. But, you know what, if it doesn't, then it doesn't - and I'm sure both she and you will get used to it. For me, Feeby's little 'bald' spots are just part of my dear - as I call her - little Dweeby Feeby.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cat hair grows back really really slowly! I do TnR and see belly shaves all the time. 8 months later you can still see it's growing back in.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Jamie had his entire abdomen shaved on December 26 of last year for an ultrasound and the fur is only partially grown back. It is still very clear where he was shaved and it can take a while for it to grow back. My dog is very sensitive to being shaved and it does seem to bother him...it probably varies from animal to animal.