Sharing Or Enabling?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in the 1950s when I was growing up in Washington, DC, there was a beggar who was a familiar sight to everyone in the city. He was missing his legs from above the knee, and scooted around on a small platform on wheels. He lurked around major department stores looking for handouts. He appeared to be a WWI veteran who had lost his legs in the war, but I don't recall any signs. After he died, over a million dollars (1955 value) was found in the cubbyhole where he slept. Mother never gave him any money, and I was glad she hadn't after I read about him in the newspaper.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking for Istanbul only, I almost only buy food for them at most. There are times that I trust someone's challenges and do more but it's rare. E.g. This summer a young paper collector asked me politely if I could buy him a simit which is a cheap baked product. I did more, we chatted a bit...

Usually though there are just so many places a human can turn to in Turkey. There are services from the government. There are charities. There are restaurants that wouldn't turn down people in need. I don't really think about much about why they need help but I do know, 1) I'm not doing great financially for sure. Let's not get in much details. 2) Honestly, I would rather help homeless animals which I do. A human can find those charities or apply to the government for support. Verbally communicate and tell the problem. Street cats and dogs can't do any of these. I prioritize them personally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a lot of tent cities under bridges.

Way back when, we had a VW camper. We had to park quite close to one of these tent cities when we were working. One night we came out to find our bus broken into and a man rifling through the closet. He's already tossed most of the bus, and was now pulling out pillows and blankets. When challenged, he claimed he worked for the guy who owned the bus. The police evicted him, and he shambled off.

Another man was sleeping in a refrigerator box on the sidewalk. All was well until he reached out and grabbed a woman's ankle.

In another incident, a funny one, quite a few homeless lived under a bridge over a bayou. They would cross the bayou on a large piece of styrofoam tied to a rope. They had a rope they would climb from the bayou's bank to the top of the bridge, over the rail and onto the street. A friend of mine was walking from the bus stop when one of the street guys popped up on the rope. Neither was expecting the other. She screamed, missed a step, and fell headlong. He was so startled he let go of the rope and fell into the bayou.

We have a lot of vets who are living in their own private hell because they can't live in our world. I'll help those folks anyway I can. It makes me angry that the greedy take from the needy.