Sharing a tip for motherless kittens

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For young ones that need warmth and comfort, you can design a pouch that you can carry them in. You will need an old pillowcase, a length of soft rope, some disposable diapers and an old towel or rags, or whatever you have on hand. Take the pillowcase and fold it down to whatever length you need to form a soft purse. Use the rope and tuck it underneath the folds, so now it looks like a purse. Adjust the length of the rope so that when the pouch goes over your neck and arm, it hangs right next to your heart.

Take a few diapers, and pad the bottom of the pouch absorbent side up, then place rags, or soft towels over that. Place the kitten(s) inside, make sure they are down far enough so that they don't fall out, but that the pouch is open enough so the air circulates. Then I just put on a tee shirt, place the pouch around me, and using an big flannel shirt, button the kittens securely inside. They usually are lulled to sleep by the beating of my heart, and they stay snug and secure throughout all the activities of the day. The diapers help if they eliminate their wastes, not to make such a mess in the bottom of the pouch.

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissy,

What a great idea! I wanted to make some kind of pouch to put my sphynx kitty in.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
That's a great tip Hissy. I'm moving it to the care and grooming forum so it won't be lost here.

Thanks!