Share Your Indoor Plant Pictures

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
W Willowy you were right - the pothos did perk up with a good watering :)

20220119_070045[1].jpg

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have some interesting action with one of my lithops. Thought maybe it was flowering, but guess this was the time of year they split last year, so maybe just splitting! Esp. bc no flower in sight.

PXL_20220125_134205013.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Cave of Wonders will not be closing at the end of the month after all :yess::woo: The longtime manager of the shop, grandson of the original owners, is taking over the business from the current owners. The shop will move just around the corner, next to the chocolate cafe I frequent :biggrin:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG, Cave of Wonders right next to The Chocolate Cafe! No prizes for guessing where your salary will be spent.
:biggrin:

I actually don't go by there these days since I don't work out that way anymore. My trips are limited to the occasional weekend and day off from work. I might venture out to the Chocolate Cafe on Tuesday, though. I have a craving for good quality chocolate 🍫 The Cave of Wonders will still be at the current location. Not sure when they will be moving. I'll window browse the Cave of Wonders but it's too cold to bring home any plants.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Field trip to Home Depot today :biggrin: I swear it was for work purposes but we had to wander through the small plant section first :redtongue:

20220214_103847_HDR[1].jpg
20220214_103947[1].jpg

20220214_104011[1].jpg

20220214_104026[1].jpg

There was a lot of colorful succulents, some of them obviously painted with neon colored paint or had fake plastic flowers attached. I didn't buy any plants. One co-worker bought some dahlia bulbs to start indoors and later transplant to her garden. I wish I had outdoor space :sigh: I'm waiting until it's warmer to order this from Etsy:

We need to take an after-work field trip to the gardening center sometime in May when the outdoor section will be open. It's literally a 5 minute drive from work but I don't think either co-worker are aware of the garden center. I can use my $100 desk personalization money to buy more plants for my desk :biggrin:

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
W WillowMarie can this sad succulent be saved? I found it hidden on a shelf in the kitchen at work. Lots of things people don't want end up in the kitchen :rolleyes: I gave it a good watering and moved it to the front of the shelf so it can get light. It definitely needs to be repotted.

20220216_072913[1].jpg

EDIT:

Trader Joe's has succulents in new cat pots for $8.99:

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The supermarket had hyacinths in clear plastic vases and I bought one :oops:

20220219_083106_Burst01[1].jpg

The tag says it needs full sun which I don't have at work but I think it'll be fine right next to a north facing window. Hyacinths are toxic to cats. One web site, a veterinary hospital, says just breathing in the scent is harmful to cats 😮 Not sure how true that is because I couldn't find any other info on the scent being harmful to cats. The ASPCA says ingestion of any part of the plant is toxic but nothing about the scent.

My rescued succulent was looking less wrinkly yesterday. I moved it from the kitchen to a window in the office area.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's been so cold here a couple of my succulents turned black and died. I had them next to the window so they would get full afternoon sun, but it must have been too cold for them. There's usually ice on the inside of the windows every morning.

Never mind, it will soon be spring and I can treat myself to a few more.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Same here :biggrin: I think my desk personalization money this year will go towards more plants 🎍🌱 I'll need another cubicle corner shelf thing but it's out of stock at Amazon and other places :ohwell: I should have bought two last time.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just read an article about illegal collection of succulents from the wild on MSN. Apparently lithops are taken, simply because they are slow growing. You can read the article here:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sun stressed colors on these 😍😍😍

And those cat planters with succulents are so cute!

W WillowMarie can this sad succulent be saved? I found it hidden on a shelf in the kitchen at work. Lots of things people don't want end up in the kitchen :rolleyes: I gave it a good watering and moved it to the front of the shelf so it can get light. It definitely needs to be repotted.

View attachment 411069

How's it doing? Good move on moving it to get light. It is stretching a lot, which means it needs way more sun.

Bummer about your plants. I've definitely read with my lithops to keep away from windows because they can for sure can get too cold in the winter, esp a risk of freezing with being so much water. Which ones did you lose??

Look forward to seeing the news ones you get!

I've had a sickness with some of my plants I am trying to get under control. And will be losing some.

Just read an article about illegal collection of succulents from the wild on MSN. Apparently lithops are taken, simply because they are slow growing. You can read the article here:

That's really sad :( I have a place on etsy I order from and they also sell seeds so you can grow your own. It does take a few years before they are big enough to produce flowers, and unless they grow an extra leaf when splitting, that is the only way to get new plants.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The sun stressed colors on these 😍😍😍
I was surprised that Home Depot had a decent variety of succulents that day. Usually the indoor plant section is blah even in the summer. It was hard to resist buying more succulents.

How's it doing? Good move on moving it to get light. It is stretching a lot, which means it needs way more sun.
It's still alive :lol: The leaves are still a bit soft but they're not wrinkly anymore. I'm going to hold off on watering it some more. A plant board suggested to cut off about 2 inches from the top (basically all the smaller newer leave) to help the plant branch out and be less leggy. Thoughts?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A plant board suggested to cut off about 2 inches from the top (basically all the smaller newer leave) to help the plant branch out and be less leggy. Thoughts?
I was thinking the same thing! Sometimes it's about aesthetic and what look you like, whether to cut or leave it on old growth. Most people like the tight only growth. When my plants grew leggy last year due to inadequate indoor lighting during the winter, some of mine were cut to restart the plant when there was adequate lighting.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok I'll trim off the top part and see what happens :crossfingers:

EDIT:

The succulent after trimming 🌱

20220224_132205~2[1].jpg

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Seen at Target:

20220228_122951[1].jpg

Also a lot of faux plants of various types: succulents, palms, spring flowers, etc.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Same here :biggrin: I think my desk personalization money this year will go towards more plants
What are you thinking of getting? I've been wondering about a snake plant.
Which ones did you lose??
A couple of crassula. Actually I still have the parent plant and a lot of the other babies I managed to grow from leaves, so it's not a total disaster. I'm looking forward to some warmer weather though

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are you thinking of getting? I've been wondering about a snake plant.

I'm not sure yet. I tend to buy whatever catches my eye at the garden center. Maybe a Pepperomia of some kind :think: Monsteras are popular but I think they eventually get pretty large. It's nice to have a desk at work where I can keep any plants :) Home is limited to pet-safe ones. Someone at work has a snake plant on his desk. It seems to do well in low light conditions.