Share Your Indoor Plant Pictures

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 I had a couple spider plants at work. A pothos. African violets. Spiders do well in office environments. We worked in cubes and we kept the overhead lights off because they were so glaring. I had desk lights in my cube and a long florescent light attached to my credenza that I NEVER turned off. That light was on 24/7 for the plants.

I might try African Violets again. I had them at a job long ago and they did pretty well.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3
Momma Cactus is between 60 and 70 years old. It belonged to my grandmother, who gave it to my mother, who gave it to me. It bloomed profusely at work bc it was in a south-facing humongous window.
Wow, that's so special! Neat, too, that plants can be that old. The flowers are very pretty, too. I almost had a thanksgiving cactus as a friend gave me a cutting... although it never made it's way into water/soil and it dried up to a crisp... whoops!

Do you know what may trigger the blooming since it triggered in only certain locations? Amount or type of sun?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Realized that I can use this part of the extra monitor arm at my desk as plant holder :D It's not quite level but I can stick a pot on with museum putty.

20211117_065341[1].jpg

The Pilea seems to be much happier in it's new spot on the cubicle wall ledge.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Do you know what may trigger the blooming since it triggered in only certain locations? Amount or type of sun?
W WillowMarie I honestly don't know. If you google them, it says that they need a period of darkness to set buds. I don't think that's true because when it was in the window at work, it was never completely dark. Outside lights were in the parking lot. It probably gets more darkness in the WeShed, although there's a light from the wifi on the wall. It also said that they need a period of coolness to set buds. That I'd believe sooner than the light requirement. There's a few weeks when it first starts to get cool in the fall that we don't turn the heat on in the WeShed. And then I'll finally turn the heat on for the African violets. I noticed that's when the cacti started setting their buds. Momma Cactus was in a north-facing window in the WeShed all summer long; I moved it to the west window when I noticed the flower buds.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Trader Joe's has holiday Grump Trees (lemon cypress) back:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More from Trader Joe's:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to have to take a trip to Trader Joe's on Friday to check out the plants. Besides the two above, there's a few more: Deck the Halls with Sweets & Sundries

I watered my Pilea a bit today since I won't be back in the office until Monday. I'm worried about the week long Christmas break. I can water on Friday but will the Pilea be ok until after New Year's? I could take the plant home if the weather isn't too cold. The Pilea is in a little 2 inch pot that sits in the decorative cat pot.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't wait to see what you find at Trader Joe's. :) Not sure about the Pilea watering as not familiar with them.

I'll have to show new updates of my plants since they've been inside for a while. They were a bit thirsty and neglected watering them... but most or all seem to be bouncing back! Some are turning red on the tips from the new lights they have this year. Seem happy!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Some are turning red on the tips from the new lights they have this year. Seem happy!
That's good! Mine are all indoors now because it's below freezing at night. They get plenty of afternoon sun through the big windows. I managed to save 5 avocado trees from the compost and they are all doing well. I think it's going to be challenging to keep a sub-tropical tree alive in this climate, but let's see how I do. They're all about waist height now.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live close enough to work so I could stop by during the holiday shut down just to water my plant and then browse the after holiday sales at the nearby mall.

Trader Joe's had a decent selection of plants today but no ivy wreaths with twinkle lights although there was a sign for it.

20211126_090111[1].jpg
20211126_090123[1].jpg
20211126_090130~2[1].jpg
20211126_090156[1].jpg

I dropped off my plants at work so I don't have to lug them to work on Monday in expected bad weather. I got a succulent, a paper white bulb in a vase of water (debated between that a a more expensive wooden planter with 4 bulbs), a mini orchid, and a glitter tree.

20211126_094555[1].jpg
20211126_094608[1].jpg
20211126_094614[1].jpg

The Grump trees are awfully cute but they need to be planted outdoors after the season and grow up to 30 feet. I don't have outdoor space :sigh:

I think my new succulent is a Jade. There were some Hobbit succulents but the ends looked like they had been chewed on by a critter.

I still need to get a hanging shelf to go over my cubicle wall so the orchid, succulent, and paper white can get some light. The top edge of the two walls aren't large enough to stick a pot on with musem putty. The glitter tree I'll just leave on my desk or on my drawer / bench..

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plant update!

Lithops chugging along. Top two may have stretched a bit? Increased light by keeping the light on over them after a couple weeks of not turning it on.
1638034680141.png

My newer Haworthias, with the older one all the way on the left.
1638034773454.png

Itty bitty baby cacti that fell off the adult. Tiny roots have started and need to plant in a more permanent dish so they can be watered.
1638034866714.png

Plants with the new lights! Tips turning red. I waited a bit long to water them, but see to be happy they received water.

1638034917326.png

1638034937211.png

1638034951154.png

1638034964819.png

Close up of some red outlined ones <3
1638035026527.png

1638035034354.png

This one has some flowers!!! When might it bloom??
1638035065770.png

Update on my mixed planter. Need to chop the Trasdencantia because it overpowers and want to clean it up a bit. Everything seems to have survived so far!

1638035115426.png

1638035123169.png

Also need to figure out what is happening with this... one of my plants I bought online seemed to have similar and may have impacted a few of my other plants... need to see if I need to treat plants and what it may be
1638035177282.png

Attachments

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's the shorter days in the fall and winter that trigger the blooming. My Thanksgiving cactus is blooming away, and the Christmas cactus is starting to bud. Both are in the window in my bedroom, which only gets natural daylight. Incidental light, like changing into pajamas, doesn't seem to bother them. If they are in an office window that gets natural light, the intensity of the natural sunlight probably outweighs the office lights. Yours will bloom too if they are in a room with no artificial light.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yours will bloom too if they are in a room with no artificial light.
That's good to know. If they don't bloom, I can try moving them by the window for a bit and see if that triggers it. They are under lights right now for 12 hours a day.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Look at these succulents:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good to know. If they don't bloom, I can try moving them by the window for a bit and see if that triggers it. They are under lights right now for 12 hours a day.
That's why they aren't blooming. We only get 10 hours or less of daylight now. Turn the lights off at sundown.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I forgot about that part of the extra monitor arm :doh: That will be a nice spot for the succulent :agree: I do have a hanging shelf thing on the way so the mini orchid and paper white can go on that. Any orchid care tips from members? I know they've been discussed in this thread somewhere.

I think I'll take the glitter tree home and replace it with a fake mini tree from Target (either this one or this one. A smaller version of the first one is oddly not available in stores). Easier to care for and it'll sort of be like the tree at a previous job. The glitter tree sheds glitter. A lot of glitter. My hands and sleeves were covered in glitter just trying to get the plastic bag off the pot. I have a tray at home I can put the glitter tree on to contain the mess. Plus I have more sun at home than at work.

Last edited:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why they aren't blooming. We only get 10 hours or less of daylight now. Turn the lights off at sundown.
My succulents may start stretching with less light. If the cactus does not bloom I may move by the window to get natural sunlight.