Share Your Indoor Plant Pictures

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a funny thing. The last time my mini orchid bloomed, I was lazy and didn't cut the spike, and it hasn't gotten any new leaves. But I looked at it yesterday and noticed buds on the old spike. I don't know if they will bloom.

About the death bloom. I don't know what you are referring to exactly, but a couple of years ago, I bought a dish garden of succulents. They were all in bloom and it was gorgeous. But then when the bloom faded, all the succulents died. Mystified, I checked the Internet on succulents and discovered that that is their natural life cycle. Grow, bloom, die.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Head planters are my favorite! Love when people plant plants that resemble a neat hairdo in head planters. Very unique pots, too!

I also see a hens and chicks to the left... mine died unfortunately and miss keeping them. That was one of the ones that survived months in a dark box in my cold rental. It seemed okay, but then spazzed and wasn't happy no matter how much water or how little, no matter indoor or outdoor in sun... it started dropping leaves but did not look like it was rotting. Too bad. before that it was very easy to keep alive!

have you ever had a death bloom before?
I've never heard of hens and chicks and had to google it.. not an Australian thing :lol: I think mine might need more sun.
I also had to google death bloom and didn't know that some succulents flower then die. It's certainly the way of Broms.. I have heaps of them. But I do have a lot of succulents and hadn't noticed this, so I'll keep my eyes open. Most of mine are out in the garden.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what the aquarium pothos look like now. They have really taken off. I need to add more guppies to the aquarium because unfortunately, a lot of them have died. I had to remove the tomatoes and mint that was growing in the net cups on the opposite side because the roots were rotting and messing up the water. But the pothos roots are fine. Not sure what else to plant here though.
16198820349341253752249217272624.jpg

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily How beautiful! Your plants are really growing in!

I've never heard of hens and chicks and had to google it.. not an Australian thing :lol: I think mine might need more sun.
I also had to google death bloom and didn't know that some succulents flower then die. It's certainly the way of Broms.. I have heaps of them. But I do have a lot of succulents and hadn't noticed this, so I'll keep my eyes open. Most of mine are out in the garden.
I've heard people say the hens and chicks need a lot of sunlight, compared to some other succulents. They are also pretty cold hardy and one of the ones that is okay for me to keep out overwinter, if I had any. Aren't the death blooms interesting?? I'd never heard of either until keeping succulents. The good thing is they normally give you lots of baby offshoots before a death bloom, so hopefully yours will do the same!

Feel free to post pics of your succulents you keep out in the garden, either here or in the gardening thread (that one tends to be more outdoor plants). I'd love to see them!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have hens and chicks in my outside garden. They get a lot of sun, and survive winters. Last year I had a death bloom. Once it was pretty much dead I broke it off, and it left an empty space in the middle. Waiting to see if it fills in this year.

Pic from first year I had it, when the "hen" was sending out little "chicks"

1619886831439.png

Pic of the death bloom last summer.

1619886751285.png

Closeup of the flowers

1619886958299.png

How it looks today

1619887495228.png

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama Wow, what a deathbloom. Sure is pretty! Looks like you have lots of babies, too. Have you had some cold nights? Some of mine that never turned red in the hot sun last year had been turning red this year when I'm leaving them on the deck overnight, if in the forties or higher overnight. It will be neat to see how it grows in this summer, all those babies you have!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Feel free to post pics of your succulents you keep out in the garden, either here or in the gardening thread (that one tends to be more outdoor plants). I'd love to see them!
Since LTS3 LTS3 set the thread up for indoor plant photography, best if we have outdoor shots over here . I just posted my garden succulents there. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry, mani mani , for posting non-indoor succulents, but I wasn't sure if the folks on the outdoor gardening thread would be interested in death blooms. Will definitely post any more pics of them in the proper thread though. And to stay off topic just long enough to answer W WillowMarie 's question about cold nights, it's spring here now, so after months of cold, ice and snow, we're having warm days, and cool nights. Funny, though, I didn't realize they were red, till I compared with last summer's pics, where they were green. Plants are so interesting.

Now off to check out mani mani 's succulents...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No new plants here. I did browse "The Cave of Wonders" recently but nothing interesting caught my eye.

20210419_143340_HDR[1].jpg

20210419_143357_HDR[1].jpg

20210419_143405_HDR[1].jpg
20210419_143431[1].jpg
20210419_143445[1].jpg
20210419_143453[1].jpg

I haven't gone to the gardening center yet this season.

I do have a hydroponic pot of wheat grass for Leroy who must be part cow. I found it at the oddest place - the refrigerated produce / salad section of the independent grocery store. I guess people use wheat grass for health drinks.

20210424_090152[1].jpg
20210424_092233_Burst01[1].jpg

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 Thanks for sharing all those plants! While non really caught your eye, I'm excited about the cacti. I only have a couple and may increase my selection sometime.

That's wild they sell grown grass at the human store. I've never seen that before, although it's been almost a year since going into a store. Maybe it is getting popular nowadays!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been here in a while, so thought I'd check & see what's going on.😊
I like this thread, as I've recently bought some plants for indoors. It's been a little bit of a challenge, because I get very little light inside my place. I get a little bit of morning sun that comes across my fireplace area, & that's about it. .
...sad. It's so shady here at my "newish" ( just resigned my lease for the first time in March) place, I have a had time keeping any flowers outside too.
I don't have to worry to much about totally kitty safe, since the two I care for & feed are outside. Panther spends some time inside, but pays no attention to my plants. Maybe because he's outside most of the time.
( Still can't pet Honey after a yr..... despite trying to gain her trust). Anyway, here's what I got after googling plants for low light.
A Bromeliad, & a snake plant. Just got the snake plant yesterday. Still have to find a pot for it.
IMG_20210315_151421778_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210501_193326261.jpg

I also got a couple of small hydrangeas for outside, as I know they do well in partial shade. Also a small succulent, & a couple of marigolds. I want to get more flowers, but hard to find any that will thrive in part to mostly shade. I put one of the hydrangeas ( my favorite!) In a pot, & one in the ground between my & my neighbors patio. I want to make us a little garden there. A client also gave me some purple vervain, so that is there as well. 😊🌸
IMG_20210501_154521735~2.jpg

IMG_20210501_154516691~2.jpg

IMG_20210502_104646872_HDR~2.jpg

Mum's left over from the fall. Never rebloomed, but growing tall!! Going to replant them ... somewhere.
IMG_20210502_104656852_HDR~2.jpg

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wanted to replace a taller house plant that died a few years ago. However I recently sold my truck, so getting one inside the small sedan is not going to work.

I guess I had an optimistic day this week. I bought these two plants, potted them and said, "Sure, they will grow!".
2021May01_lyrata_plant1_640.jpg
2021May01_peace_plant1_640.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do have a hydroponic pot of wheat grass for Leroy who must be part cow. I found it at the oddest place - the refrigerated produce / salad section of the independent grocery store. I guess people use wheat grass for health drinks.
That's interesting, that you found it in the produce/salad section. So when Leroy eats it, does he throw up? I've always heard cats eat grass when they're not feeling well, but never knew if ti was true or not.

Just got the snake plant yesterday.
I had a snake plant once. They're pretty easy to grow, and apparently if they live long enough can sometimes get flowers.

I guess I had an optimistic day this week. I bought these two plants, potted them and said, "Sure, they will grow!".
Optimism is good. :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's interesting, that you found it in the produce/salad section. So when Leroy eats it, does he throw up? I've always heard cats eat grass when they're not feeling well, but never knew if ti was true or not.

If he eats too much at once, he does :barf: So I only let him have a few pieces before I take the pot away. Leroy just loves eating grass. He must have been a cow in a previous life :crazy:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
angels mommy angels mommy Your brommeliad made me think of a pineapple, and looking it up are they related or is that a pineapple plant?? I tried propagating one from the store this past year, but it didn't work out.

And beautiful fireplace and decor you have!

bear bear Love that huge stake, it made me giggle! Is it supposed to grow pretty tall, or does the stake have another function?? Look forward to seeing updates with your new plants and how they are growing!

Pots of cat grass and chives have been available here in the produce section for a long time. Sometimes pots of basil, too.
What kind of stores do you find wheat grass in? It makes me think they'd be in fancier stores that are more natural.

Isabelle has eaten grass occasionally, but it makes her throw up as well. I remember at my last summer job a tech was playing with a blade of grass with Issie. It was super cute! Although, Isabelle started munching on grass after that, haha. She puked inside and my roommate told me annoyed there was cat puke... I thanked her for letting me know and cleaned it up. Luckily, she doesn't typically munch when I take her for walks. But I haven't grown any for my kitties due to that. Leroy must feel special you have a system so he can get a taste without losing it later. :)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
angels mommy angels mommy Your brommeliad made me think of a pineapple, and looking it up are they related or is that a pineapple plant?? I tried propagating one from the store this past year, but it didn't work out.

And beautiful fireplace and decor you have!

Thanks! Yes, it's a Bromeliad. They're supposed to eventually sprout off little what they call "pups" lol! Haven't seen anything like that, but I've just had it about a month.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What kind of stores do you find wheat grass in? It makes me think they'd be in fancier stores that are more natural.
Whole Foods might have hydroponic pots of wheat grass. The independent grocery store I go to isn't fancy but carries a lot of local produce and food items and specialty imported cheeses and deli items.

I find that wheat grass sold at the grocery store is a lot healthier than those sad looking pots at Petco. And it's not as expensive either. I bought the wheat grass for $1.98. It's easy enough to grow from seed yourself, too. Most cats grass seeds are a mix of wheat grass, oat, and barley but you can just do one type if you find your cat prefers one over another.

Succulents at the flower shop by work:

20210503_143302_HDR[1].jpg
20210503_143314_HDR[1].jpg

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That makes sense. If it is being sold for human consumption, they probably have better standards for product quality. I wonder if being in the cooler section also helps since it look like it was in a refrigeration case.

More pics!! The panda (bottom left, second picture) should be one I have. More like a leaf my friend gave me, but it has been slowly propagating with roots and baby leaves.