TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I ended up buying the Pilea Aquamarine today. And a "Red Twist" peperomia 😮

20200927_073330.jpg

20200927_075819[1].jpg

20200927_080002_HDR[1].jpg
20200927_075928_Burst01[1].jpg

I had to rearrange my plant cart a bit to fit the two new additions.

I took the Pilea out of the distressed-looking critter cache pot. Good thing I did because there was like 2 inches of water inside😮 Same with the Peperomia. I'm keeping the Peperomia in it's cache pot since I like it. I added some pebbles to the cache pot so the extra water can drain out of the inner plastic pot. I need more of the plastic bins to use as drainage / humidity trays. Target and the online site didn't have any the last time I looked.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read that the Pilea Aquamarine plant is sometimes called the artillery plant. The stamens of the small flowers will shoot pollen when the plant is watered, at least that is what I read.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, that's what I've read too about the Pilea Aquarmarine :)

I think they did the "just add ice" thing to prevent overwatering, lol. I've seen succulents with that on the instructions too. But I don't use ice cubes. . .I don't even know if I have an ice tray. I wonder how large an average ice cube is. 1 ounce? Half an ounce?
A standard ice cube tray makes ice that is about 1 oz each.

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
My kalanchoes I haven't had any luck with. You'll have to keep me updated about progress and what techniques worked best for you.
I honestly didn't do anything special other than put them directly under one of my plant bulbs. I guess the intense light made them push roots out faster? I also heard that they are easy to propogate, even if you damage a leaf pulling it off which has been the case for me. Some of them ripped badly and they still calloused and grew roots. Even a piece of a quarter leaf that broke off. I also noticed that on the mother plant, the spots where I removed the leaves have been growing roots! Super unusual.
16012233929826428383402153176555.jpg
16012234555163209048000182916504.jpg
16012235065001708676682979218311.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope sitting in two inches of water isn't going to cause root rot in my new plants :paranoid: I'm looking up care guides and both plants hate sitting in water. Both plants are sitting on pebbles so hopefully they'll dry out some :crossfingers:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Red Twist peperomia is definitely showing signs of being over watered at the supermarket. The leaves are starting to fall off :oops: I took the pot out of the decorative cache pot and have it sitting in a tray of pebbles Hopefully increased ventilation to the pot will help the potting mix dry out :crossfingers: The plant is also leaning towards the windows no matter how often I turn the pot. It wasn't leaning at all when I bought it but it is now. My window faces southeast and has sheer curtains. I roll the plant cart to the window in the mornings but keep it about 3 feet away so it gets bright but indirect light. Is it not getting enough light? Or maybe too much?

The Pilea Aquarmarine seems ok despite being in the same over watered condition. I'm thinking of hanging it so the trailing vines can just hang. And that frees up a pebble tray (still no trays available at Target :ohwell:). The plastic pot is about 3.5" so maybe a 4" decorative hanging pot will work?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd repot it. I don't know why but Peperomia's seem to hate water. I don't even water mine and they still grow. If I water them, they drop leaves. So annoying. Ah! I saw a bunch of those pepperomia plants at walmart today. Would have bought one but they aren't on my wishlist.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Pilea is starting to develop curled leaves :ohwell: I've only watered it lightly once a few days after I got it and not since so it can't be over watered. Poor drainage is a possibility. I have no idea what potting mix is in the pot. I'll repot it tomorrow with the general potting mix I have and add in some perlite.

The Red Twist peperomia seems to be doing ok :crossfingers: No more leaves have dropped off.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cool! Are you going to try planting the top with the leaves?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't indoor but I'm scared as it could make the cats sick since they hang around that area a lot. I don't know what it is and no one in my stupid city will tell me. To me it looks like a neverdie plant but as usual I could be 100% wrong.

Unknown plant.jpg

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Says they are closed. This is just terrible and the story of my life. I hope the cats will be ok. :(

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The in-person clinic to submit samples is closed. Email or call to reach a person.

I repotted the pilea today. Hopefully it'll do ok :crossfingers:

The pilea aquamarine got a little pruning. I removed the dead stems and those that weren't attached to the plant at all but tangled up with other stems. The pot fits in the decorative cat pot. I can switch up hairdos now:lol: