Share Your Indoor Plant Pictures

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 I think the plants you are asking about, saying they look like an aloe relative - might be Sanseveria cylindrica, aka African spear plant. It's a snake plant with tightly curled cylindrical (hah!) leaves.

W Willowy Why a skunk? A raccoon could do that unpotting, so could a squirrel. Or two squirrels playing tag.

Greenhouse roof gets replaced on Monday, weather permitting. That means all plants, everything actively growing plus everything dormant, needs to move into the attached garage this weekend. Oh this is going to be fun. Not.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why a skunk? A raccoon could do that unpotting, so could a squirrel. Or two squirrels playing tag.
Ooooooh, yeah, I saw a squirrel in the area today, I didn't even think of a squirrel doing it. I said skunk because one has been digging my lawn up for grubs lately, and the possums and raccoons are frequent visitors and have never dug up the plants before. But yup, probably that squirrel. I should see if he stuck a nut in any of the pots, lol.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of succulents are these? They look like they could be related to aloes.

View attachment 352204

I think this is a kalanchoe? It's a cute little plant.

View attachment 352205

I love the bright yellow green of lemon cypress. There's conflicting info online on whether it's toxic to cats or not.

View attachment 352206
If you have a smartphone, there is an app called leaf snap that is pretty accurate at identifying different plants. You could give that a try. The second one is a kalanchoe.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pink one is doing great. The green one is still alive. And looks fine, I think? But hasn't grown at all, so that's kinda weird.
Pink one has such great color! Wonder when the dormant period is for the green one. Crossing my fingers it will pull through.

The most mature shoot is pushing out a leaf. The rest are getting their but not quite ready for leaves yet.
Look at that large leaf pushing out! And your polka dot plant has such lovely pink and green color.

Nice to hear about the update with the pineapple plant. I keep forgetting to sneak one onto the grocery order to try myself... :loveeyes: :biggrin:

My kalanchoes I haven't had any luck with. You'll have to keep me updated about progress and what techniques worked best for you.

I started using grow lights and my succulents have started getting a little bit of different colors. I have them set for six hours a day.
Which grow light are you using? How has the colors changed??? Have you noticed any stretching or do they seem to be happy with the six hours you have provided?

LTS3 LTS3 I always enjoy all the plant pictures you post from the shops! Thanks for sharing <3 My favorite are some of those cacti.

Not quite sure what the others are, but agree the second may be a Kalenchoe. :)

Isn't that what used to be called a wandering Jew. I hadn't heard that term in a long time, it probably isn't a good term anymore because of negative stereotypes. I knew someone who had one in the 70's and it just kept growing and growing.
Kind of off topic, but on my neighborhoods facebook page someone religious was dropping off wandering jew plants to people with a pamphlet or something. Maybe trying to recruit people. Someone had posted that they were received a plant on the doorstep, and many others chimed in they have, too.

I of course posted and asked if the person dropping off the plants had any succulents and asked them to drop some off at my house... :flail: I tried! No plants yet! :p

golondrina golondrina What wonderful plants! Thank you for posting! Those blooms in the first picture look huge and gorgeous. Is the hair feel soft and fuzzy or...? Very unique and pretty colors. Does you cat ever try to get into the plants?

Your plant corner and collection is so neat! Most of my plants, besides my vegetable container plants, are still small.

Some beastly beast knocked all my plants over, so now I have to repot everybody:
Bummer. How'd the repotting go?

W WillowMarie - How long did it take your succulent leaves to grow pups after rooting? All my Kalanchoe tomentosa leaves have rooted nicely and a lot faster than expected. Some of the roots are turning orange like the mother plant. I'm trying my best to stay patient.
It really depended on the succulent. Some within a week or two, others have taken months. There are a couple from May that just recently sprouted roots, but no pups yet! My Kalanchoe leaves have never even grown roots, so that's exciting yours have!

Someone once told me it is okay if the roots dry up or whatnot on a leaf propagate because new roots will grow once the old leaf shrivels up and you plant the new baby. I'm thinking turning orange may be they are drying out? Has any baby sprouted yet? One of my babies had no roots, but grew roots after planting.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where is W WillowMarie ? She hasn't posted any pictures of her succulent collection lately.
Thanks for thinking of me. :heartshape: Here are some updates! Lots of excitement. Maybe from the cooler weather in the mornings, some are experiencing brighter reds or purples. It has been warm this week and some of the colors are not intense, so during the next temperature dip I'll work to get some better pictures.

DSC_0040.JPG
DSC_0041.JPG
DSC_0042.JPG

I think the new offshoot on the left is new.
DSC_0043.JPG
DSC_0044.JPG

The twins are getting to tall!
DSC_0045.JPG
DSC_0046.JPG
DSC_0048.JPG

See all those little rolls next the the stems?? So many little ones pocking out.
DSC_0052.JPG

Babies on the right one ware getting bigger.
DSC_0053.JPG

Hard to see, but this one has a yucky stem, which is why the wrinkling. Do not think it can absorb more water. Need to chop and reroot soon.
DSC_0054.JPG
DSC_0056.JPG

Opps, nail impalement on the leaf. Sowie!
DSC_0057.JPG
DSC_0058.JPG

Norachan Norachan Look, look! Color is getting brighter for me. It may be due to the cooler mornings last week. What have the temps been for you as yours has very nice coloration throughout?
DSC_0061.JPG
DSC_0062.JPG
DSC_0064.JPG

Swear this one was deeper red last week, but the red extends not just on the outline, it is throughout the leaf now on some of the new growth. <3
DSC_0065.JPG
DSC_0066.JPG

Mamma has about 4 babies growing. :cheerleader:
DSC_0070.JPG
DSC_0074.JPG

This one was left outside a couple nights when the nights were in the 40's.... but it may have actually helped the growth as I swear there was a boost in the past week.
DSC_0076.JPG
DSC_0078.JPG

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W WillowMarie said:
golondrina golondrina " golondrina golondrina What wonderful plants! Thank you for posting! Those blooms in the first picture look huge and gorgeous. Is the hair feel soft and fuzzy or...? Very unique and pretty colors. Does you cat ever try to get into the plants?

Your plant corner and collection is so neat! Most of my plants, besides my vegetable container plants, are still small."

Thank you WillowMarie. The first plant is a scapelia. I never dared touch it :) No, fortunately Sombra doesn't care to touch the plants but I have to water them when she is napping otherwise she would try to drink the muddy water.

WillowMarie, I have just seen your plants in post 546. They are magnificent, beautifully kept. What is the name of the last one? .

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't repotted yet :paperbag: . Just set them back in their pots. But that's kind of good because the beast knocked them over again last night. I suppose I'll have to figure out how to bring them in soon. Is there any special way to help them adjust to indoor conditions, or just make them go cold turkey?

Also, the Echeveria in the mixed pot at work is stretching. It's in a window! I don't know how I can give it any more light. Maybe because it's a north-facing window and it's fall now? But it didn't stretch last year. Weird.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The grow lights I have are nothing expensive. They are full spectrum LED lights, they have a timer function on them so they get light at the same time every day. They are from a company called Elaine. The ones that had the reds around the leaves had lost their color and the color is back. Some of them are also a darker green now. I haven't noticed any stretching.

I went to the supermarket this morning and they must have gotten a shipment of orchids in recently because they had more of them then usual. I am still tempted. I looked on Amazon and they had the potting material for them, not soil but different kinds of chips, they also had clear plastic pots with drainage holes.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone once told me it is okay if the roots dry up or whatnot on a leaf propagate because new roots will grow once the old leaf shrivels up and you plant the new baby. I'm thinking turning orange may be they are drying out? Has any baby sprouted yet? One of my babies had no roots, but grew roots after planting.
Their roots naturally have an orange tint to them. No pups yet but the roots are getting longer by the day.

I did a plant swap via Facebook marketplace. I traded my young monstera for some plants that were on my wishlist. Neon pothos, aloe vera, snake plant, and dieffenbachia.
16011589855641605822029130600539.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
New plant spotted at the supermarket:

20200926_072630[1].jpg

I Googled it and it's safe around pets. The plant is relatively rare and not well known. Maybe I should head back to the supermarket tomorrow and get one :think: There were a few plants today.

Great succulent pictures W WillowMarie :)

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
The grow lights I have are nothing expensive. They are full spectrum LED lights, they have a timer function on them so they get light at the same time every day. They are from a company called Elaine. The ones that had the reds around the leaves had lost their color and the color is back. Some of them are also a darker green now. I haven't noticed any stretching.

I went to the supermarket this morning and they must have gotten a shipment of orchids in recently because they had more of them then usual. I am still tempted. I looked on Amazon and they had the potting material for them, not soil but different kinds of chips, they also had clear plastic pots with drainage holes.
Our Canadian summers are more humid than I thought so my orchids didn't do well in a bark with coconut coir mix. I had to do straight bark so now I have them sitting in a strainer with large cedar chips. So, depending on your climate, you wouldn't need much more than bark if you are willing to water a bit more often. And some barks can retain a bit of moisture for a while.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they did the "just add ice" thing to prevent overwatering, lol. I've seen succulents with that on the instructions too. But I don't use ice cubes. . .I don't even know if I have an ice tray. I wonder how large an average ice cube is. 1 ounce? Half an ounce?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, fortunately Sombra doesn't care to touch the plants but I have to water them when she is napping otherwise she would try to drink the muddy water.

WillowMarie, I have just seen your plants in post 546. They are magnificent, beautifully kept. What is the name of the last one? .
Thank you! The last one should be a mistletoe cactus, which is a type of Rhipsalis. Your horsetails are neat! Do you have them growing from a vase of water??

My kittens would get into my plants when they were young, and I have not tried to introduce them again since keeping plants now. They are just over a year old, but still very curious and playful. Luckily, I have a separate room to keep plants in right now.

Their favorite thing to do was pluck my lithops and sempervivum and drop them back on top of the soil... I thought I had blocked them from access, but one day I invested a pot where all 5 of the plants looked at odd angles and realized all of them has been pulled out of the soil and dropped back down.... :flail: Silly kitties! My older cat, Isabelle, does not bug them.

Haven't repotted yet :paperbag: .

Also, the Echeveria in the mixed pot at work is stretching. It's in a window! I don't know how I can give it any more light. Maybe because it's a north-facing window and it's fall now? But it didn't stretch last year. Weird.
I still have things I need to pot, too. My water propagated cuttings, like my strings, are still in the water propagates... luckily nothing has rotted yet. I also have babies that the adult leaf has dried up that needs to be potted, too. Hope the critter leaves them alone soon.

Not sure, at least with succulents you can just chop them and replant them, if they stretch over winter, and start anew. That's what I've been thinking for myself because not sure if any of mine will stretch with grow lights. Mine will be in a south facing, which is supposed to get decent light, but we'll see.

Great succulent pictures W WillowMarie :)
Thank you!