Share Your Indoor Plant Pictures

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
denice denice ooooohhhhhhh, nice arrangements! My favorite is the top arrangement and the plant at the top with the very little leaves. <3

I went to walmart and there were so many broken off succulent leaves. Some even had roots. I wanted to take them and my mom got upset so I had to put them back. 😞

Aw bummer. 🥺 Maybe another time. :hugs:

W Willowy Nice to see an update! I was just thinking of you the past couple days and was thinking of tagging you to ask about an update on these two. I really enjoy seeing how plants grow and change, so if you don't mind I will qoute the older pictures for comparison from your post 2.5 weeks ago. :biggrin:

2.5 weeks ago:
Today:
This one is a little hard to compare, but it looks like leaves may be a bit bigger. The plant is still alive, which is very positive! Some plants go dormant during the summer or maybe it is just a slow grower. Believe it is a good sign that the plant leaves still look healthy and plump.

2.5 weeks ago:

Today:
This one seems to have some really nice growth! There are definitely more leaves, the the leaves surrounding the new growth in the center surround the new leaves fully, while the older picture wasn't a full tight circle wrapped around the new leaves. How neat! This one is such a pretty color, too. Even the stem has changed colors to a deeper pink/red from the previous green.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should pay some attention to the ones that are doing well, too, lol. This one is my favorite, I think. I tried to keep it on the windowsill but there was a Cat Incident so now the poor thing has some bite marks :/. Now it's in one of the Ikea greenhouses so nobody can bite it. It's probably time to take a couple of the pups off!
20200723_210454.jpg

And here's one of the pups that fell off in the Cat Incident. It's making some nice roots:
20200723_210507.jpg

And some of the leaves that fell off are making roots, but no new growth yet:
20200723_210858.jpg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
there was a Cat Incident
Cat Incidents are a force of nature, helping us make the changes we wouldn't normally have the courage to make. One of my outdoor plants met with a Raccoon Incident a few wees ago, but I re-potted the pieces into four different planters and now I have four healthy plants.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily I don't know about your bromeliads but I do know that spraying doesn't do much good. Just think for a minute how quickly water evaporates, especially if it is hot and dry where you are in earth orbit. Would it be possible to set up a small fountain with the plants hung nearby? Pleasant sound of cool splashing water, water evaporating and invigorating the plants . . .

If not, a bowl of marbles or pretty pebbles with water added below the top of the marbles / stones, to evaporate and add humidity. Or move the plants to a bathroom - provided there is sufficient light - where humidity goes up when you shower.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should I attempt to grow the broken leaf into a new plant W WillowMarie ?
Oops, missed answering this the other day. So normally leaf propagating needs a full leaf that has been cleanly removed, although I've seen someone post pictures of a plant growing off a leaf that was broken. Not sure if it was a special type, like the one I've posted previously with a plant growing from the side of the leaf instead of at the base. You can keep just in case! The worst that would happen is it shrivels up and does nothing. :)

W Willowy Look at all those roots! Crossing my fingers for some babies popping out soon :heartshape:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The nursery where I got mine didn't think much of misting them. I soak them twice a week. She said for 5 to 10 minutes but I let them soak for about twenty minutes each time. That one doesn't look too good. I would try soaking it for a good half hour or so and see if that helps.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily I don't know about your bromeliads but I do know that spraying doesn't do much good. Just think for a minute how quickly water evaporates, especially if it is hot and dry where you are in earth orbit. Would it be possible to set up a small fountain with the plants hung nearby? Pleasant sound of cool splashing water, water evaporating and invigorating the plants . . .

If not, a bowl of marbles or pretty pebbles with water added below the top of the marbles / stones, to evaporate and add humidity. Or move the plants to a bathroom - provided there is sufficient light - where humidity goes up when you shower.
They are hung over the fish tank and I thought that would be enough but I guess not. Our bathroom is pretty dark and the window it has is small so that wouldn't be an ideal place for them I don't think. I might have to buy a humidifier or maybe putting them closer to the tank water.

The nursery where I got mine didn't think much of misting them. I soak them twice a week. She said for 5 to 10 minutes but I let them soak for about twenty minutes each time. That one doesn't look too good. I would try soaking it for a good half hour or so and see if that helps.
I soaked them for 3 hours on Wednesday. :confused:
I don't know what is going on.
15956264248512020304047643528690.jpg

Maybe something like this? And it's only these two so maybe it has something to do with the type of air plant it is.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I put the succulent garden in the pebble filled tray the Pilea was in. I still need another one for the three mini pots of succulents.

20200724_140628_HDR[1].jpg

The pot is completely filled with little rocks / pebbles. Is that ok for succulents to grow in?

The cat pot's "hairdo" is now straight:lol:

20200724_140641_HDR[1].jpg

The moss is keeping the air plant upright:

20200724_140716[1].jpg

An article with the author's opinion on what the best mini succulents to buy are:

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily Moving water in a fountain humidifies more / better than a still flat surface such as water in an aquarium. The advantage of the bowl of marbles - water "crawls" over the surface of the stones and evaporates - thin film = easier evaporation, more surface = more evaporation.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...houseplants/&usg=AOvVaw2QmLileAfxLGEGf_xNa5K-
Would it help that the surface of the water bubbles? I have an air pump going with 5 different components so the top of the water is constantly moving. Water also evaporates quickly from it. I have to top it off almost every single day.

Maybe there is too much light on them too. I have 2 6500k 1,600 limes bulbs going 12 hours a day for the guppy fry. I moved the plants that were on top of the glass and put them to the window.

Last edited:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 The arrangement looks so good with the rocks! Rocks that size are a great gritty material for succulent substrate. Is there any fine material mixed in, like some type of soil? I know with lithops that a fine soil is needed for the roots to grab onto. Not sure if similar with succulents or not. May also depend on how humid your environment is. How humid is the area you keep your plants year round? If it is humid, some people may be okay with just rocks. A dryer climate would benefit from more fine because it also holds more moisture. If I were you, I'd mix in a little fine. Maybe like 1/3 ish. Mine are a mix between half/half and 2/3 grit, 1/3 fine.

That plant and cat pot combo is gold! Love that so much! And the kitty checking it out like, is that another kitty? Why is his hair like that...? 🤣 :hugs:

Neat article, too.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As far as I can tell, the entire pot is filled with pebbles / rocks. No potting mix that I can find.

I have all the plants in the bedroom. The hygrometer is reading in the "humid" range at the moment. In the winter the hygrometer is in the "dry" range unless I have the humidifier on.

I need to grow more cat grass. Leroy definitely doesn't like the grass when it gets too long. It tastes yucky or something and he doesn't get excited over it like he does with newly sprouted grass :rolleyes:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I can tell, the entire pot is filled with pebbles / rocks. No potting mix that I can find.

I have all the plants in the bedroom. The hygrometer is reading in the "humid" range at the moment. In the winter the hygrometer is in the "dry" range unless I have the humidifier on.

I need to grow more cat grass. Leroy definitely doesn't like the grass when it gets too long. It tastes yucky or something and he doesn't get excited over it like he does with newly sprouted grass :rolleyes:
Where would I buy a hygrometer? Does it tell the temperature in the room as well? I saw a lady with something that reads everything in the room so I wonder if it's something like that.
Usually pebbles and rocks are fine as long as the type of plant planted in that medium likes a lot of aeration around their roots. Not sure if succulents do. Haven't had one in years.

I don't remember if there is a thread for outdoor plants. I wanted this to be indoor only but it thrives outdoors. Just wanted to post a little update on my attempt at bonsai. It has taken to the repotting well. Lots of new growth but its root system still needs some adjusting. Hopefully it'll be strong enough by winter. Squirrels won't leave it alone. I'm going to get some more stones from the lake to cover the top. I bent them with thin wire this morning because they've been doing so well. Wondering how I will protect them in the winter time. They already survived one winter outside but the pot might freeze up.
20200725_130252.jpg
20200725_130203.jpg

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a basic no frills hygrometer.

20200725_182617[1].jpg

There are devices that tell time, temperature, humidity, weather, and other things. You can find them at hardware stores, Target, Walmart, Amazon, etc.

I took another look at the succulent garden. I can see soil through the pot drainage holes. The top two inches of the pot is just pebbles.

I don't remember if there is a thread for outdoor plants.
I think the Gardening Thread is the closest. It seems to be mostly about gardening veggies and other edibles but there are flowering plants and the like included.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a basic no frills hygrometer.

View attachment 344485

There are devices that tell time, temperature, humidity, weather, and other things. You can find them at hardware stores, Target, Walmart, Amazon, etc.

I took another look at the succulent garden. I can see soil through the pot drainage holes. The top two inches of the pot is just pebbles.

I think the Gardening Thread is the closest. It seems to be mostly about gardening veggies and other edibles but there are flowering plants and the like included.
Okay, that's good. The pebbles are there to prevent pest probably? I did that with some of my plants and the fungus gnats only bother the other ones that aren't covered.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Really useful picture for those of us with succulents
Very useful! Thank you for posting this.

:rock:
I need to grow more cat grass. Leroy definitely doesn't like the grass when it gets too long.
Try trimming the grass with scissors and giving it plenty of water, then let dry out for a day or two. This usually encourages new growth and the cats think it's yummy again.