Share Your Indoor Plant Pictures

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My problem cases don't look any different. But at least they don’t look worse so that's an improvement.
View attachment 342083

Maaaaayyyybbbeeee there's a new leaf in the middle:
View attachment 342084

The wrinkly leaf fell off this one but it hasn't lost any more leaves:
View attachment 342085

I bought a big bag of perlite so if I have to repot any I'll add that. It's annoyingly difficult to find some farm stuff in this farm state, lol.
So far, so good!
Let 'em dry between waterings, just a bit.

Succulents are easy to grow. I've got too many, including Mother of Hundreds of Thousands.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
doomsdave doomsdave Right now we are having great weather and because I don’t want the cats to get the flowers, the CATtleyas are outside my back door under a shade tree. Orchids are great because they kind of thrive on neglect compared to many plants. I used to teach orchid growing and I always told people that if you pamper them, you’ll kill them. Lol A dish of pebbles under the plant that has water below the pot helps with humidity in the house. Don’t let the plant sit in the water but above it. For serious orchid lovers, a Wardian case is purrfect and keeps the cats from accessing any plant.
If growing in a window, morning sun is great but afternoon sun can give them sunburn. Except for high humidity, they kind of like what we like. They want Comfortable temperatures, no scorching hot sun, getting fed once in awhile and don’t go to bed wet. Lol Watering and misting should be done early so the plant is dry by night. Water on leaves can cause bacteria to thrive and rot sets in quickly.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
doomsdave doomsdave Right now we are having great weather and because I don’t want the cats to get the flowers, the CATtleyas are outside my back door under a shade tree. Orchids are great because they kind of thrive on neglect compared to many plants. I used to teach orchid growing and I always told people that if you pamper them, you’ll kill them. Lol A dish of pebbles under the plant that has water below the pot helps with humidity in the house. Don’t let the plant sit in the water but above it. For serious orchid lovers, a Wardian case is purrfect and keeps the cats from accessing any plant.
If growing in a window, morning sun is great but afternoon sun can give them sunburn. Except for high humidity, they kind of like what we like. They want Comfortable temperatures, no scorching hot sun, getting fed once in awhile and don’t go to bed wet. Lol Watering and misting should be done early so the plant is dry by night. Water on leaves can cause bacteria to thrive and rot sets in quickly.
Thanks!

I don't have any house plants in the house, they're all outside . . . . .

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two propagations and the head of one of my succulents that fell off (right) were ready to be re-planted because the leaf was dried up and they had roots. Added a few goodies to the pot. Leaving them indoors for a few days, then water, and acclimated to outside.

20200710_163728.jpg

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Two propagations and the head of one of my succulents that fell off (right) were ready to be re-planted because the leaf was dried up and they had roots. Added a few goodies to the pot. Leaving them indoors for a few days, then water, and acclimated to outside.

View attachment 342567
That set up is the most adorable thing ever! Where did you get the little decorations? And what does the pot look like at the bottom?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

6ef10abb-e426-4f41-973d-1db15ad9ae49.jpg

The roots of the Chinese evergreen in my aquarium are growing so fast. I love being able to see the roots grow as well as the foliage.

c0bae00b-3d93-424e-9f22-ce3b39f21f22.jpg

Changed the set up. My Ivy is droopy and the new leaves and shoots are turning brown. I wonder if it's from the repotting? The soil isn't wet so I'm not sure what's going on. 😔 I removed the anthurium and the tiny pothos that were on the back beside the lucky bamboo because it was getting too crowded and hard to clean. Also, the fern was too far gone so I tossed it.

Finally, my other houseplants.
447ca57f-e88e-4c35-a681-cda45e27fbe2.jpg

1. Tiny African violet. Baby of the purple one next to it.
2. Purple African violet. Started out as a single leaf my mom got from someone and it's been growing strong ever since.
3. Tiny pothos that was in the aquarium with the anthurium.
4. African violet I bought about a month ago (can't remember).
5. Tiny anthurium offshoot from one of the mature plants.
6. Healthiest anthurium out of the bunch. Flowered recently (hasn't done that in years).
7. Another anthurium.
8. It's hidden behind the others but it is a beefsteak begonia. Super finicky plant. Lost 3 - 4 of them just from repotting. They were dramatic and droopy for weeks before finally deciding that life was worth living again.
9. Two anthuriums together. One of them is the one from the aquarium that was with those tiny pothos.

4fc433dc-a336-451b-bc65-a394adfecf19.jpg

Thanksgiving cactus, beefsteak begonia, and tiny Chinese evergreen that I got from my mom's mature plant almost 2 years ago now as a seed. I waited almost an entire year for it to germinate. There was two seeds but this is the only one that sprouted.

7e6623e9-cba6-45bf-8d4d-56171f141cec.jpg

This side of the shelf I call the "Hospital" because these plants are either not doing well or newly planted and I'm unsure about their outcome. The clivia, I left out in the sun too long, the empty pots have rose of Sheron seeds in them. I planted them last night.

acb8ff88-4e35-4c94-9272-4340bba489e3.jpg

These are the rose of Sheron seeds. I think that's it. I will post about the air plants once they arrive.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That set up is the most adorable thing ever! Where did you get the little decorations? And what does the pot look like at the bottom?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

View attachment 342570
The roots of the Chinese evergreen in my aquarium are growing so fast. I love being able to see the roots grow as well as the foliage.

View attachment 342571
Changed the set up. My Ivy is droopy and the new leaves and shoots are turning brown. I wonder if it's from the repotting? The soil isn't wet so I'm not sure what's going on. 😔 I removed the anthurium and the tiny pothos that were on the back beside the lucky bamboo because it was getting too crowded and hard to clean. Also, the fern was too far gone so I tossed it.

Finally, my other houseplants.
View attachment 342573
1. Tiny African violet. Baby of the purple one next to it.
2. Purple African violet. Started out as a single leaf my mom got from someone and it's been growing strong ever since.
3. Tiny pothos that was in the aquarium with the anthurium.
4. African violet I bought about a month ago (can't remember).
5. Tiny anthurium offshoot from one of the mature plants.
6. Healthiest anthurium out of the bunch. Flowered recently (hasn't done that in years).
7. Another anthurium.
8. It's hidden behind the others but it is a beefsteak begonia. Super finicky plant. Lost 3 - 4 of them just from repotting. They were dramatic and droopy for weeks before finally deciding that life was worth living again.
9. Two anthuriums together. One of them is the one from the aquarium that was with those tiny pothos.

View attachment 342574
Thanksgiving cactus, beefsteak begonia, and tiny Chinese evergreen that I got from my mom's mature plant almost 2 years ago now as a seed. I waited almost an entire year for it to germinate. There was two seeds but this is the only one that sprouted.

View attachment 342577
This side of the shelf I call the "Hospital" because these plants are either not doing well or newly planted and I'm unsure about their outcome. The clivia, I left out in the sun too long, the empty pots have rose of Sheron seeds in them. I planted them last night.

View attachment 342583
These are the rose of Sheron seeds. I think that's it. I will post about the air plants once they arrive.
I love anthurium blooms! Thanksgiving cactus too. You have a nice selection there! All neat plants. Good luck with the seeds. I just planted my first seeds from my Dutchman’s pipe. I’ve waited years for seeds and had sort of given up. About a week ago I had to cut the vine back and found the open pod! Just one though. :banana2:At least I know it will produce! I’m not over the hump yet though. I hope some of them will sprout! Fingers and paws crossed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to think that orchids were very difficult and best left to master gardener types. I have recently read that some orchids are easy to care for and others are very picky and difficult to care for. They are unusual and exotic looking.

I had a mini orchid once at an old job. It didn't live very long :disappointed: I think the office was just too cold and dark. A plant light didn't help much.

Orchid.jpg

I think I'll grow some cat grass today for Leroy. He hasn't had any in awhile.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I looked up the orchid that doomsdave talked about. It grows like a weed in Central America, that's about my speed for plants. It isn't that I think orchids are 'pretty' in the sense of flowers like roses but they are so unique and exotic looking. I looked on a site that sells them for planting and he was charging as much as $1,000 for some, he did also have some reasonably priced one. I don't know if this guy is legit though. He claims to have a ghost orchid which he is selling as well. Everything I have read about them is that they are impossible to care for. They are rare, so rare that few people know where one is in nature and they don't let that information become general knowledge to preserve them.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! My cousin bought the fairy garden decorations off my amazon wishlist. Amazon.com : INHEMI 111 Pieces Fairy Garden Accessories Miniature Ornaments Kit for DIY Fairy Garden Dollhouse Decoration : Garden & Outdoor It is pretty cheap for how many pieces you get! The two bridges in the middle were bought separately, but I included it in the pic. Although there is one in the kit as well. :)

20200711_152528.jpg

I knew because the babies were so small, they would need a small pot. This pot may even be a little deep for them. I could have used my tiny cat planters, but those are not big enough to make a fairy garden.
20200711_152226.jpg

Now this beautiful pot I am saving to make a fairy garden! It is nice and wide for many plants and decor. Waiting for some of my duplicates to grow bigger as it is harder to keep all happy when potted together and want to keep all my single plant species alive until I have more or can make cuttings. But this is an ideal and fancy container that would look great for a fairy garden! Someone gave this one away and a hole was drilled to make it suitable for succulents.
20200711_152454.jpg

Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily Love how kool the roots look growing in the water! If I ever start aquarium keeping again, I'm tempted to try that!

How is your Ivy doing today? Still droopy? Bummer about the fern. It was super cute.

Are the plants on the hospital shelf being water propagated? Some people do this with succulents to propagate and grow roots, but the succulents are picky and need to be just above the water and not touching the water.

denice denice Wow, that's pricey! I know some large cacti run into the hundreds. Never heard of Ghost orchid, but boy do they have interesting, beautiful flowers. Here are some google search images of the flower. <3

Wish me luck. Moved some of my succulents into a sunnier spot on the deck. They should received a couple more hours of full sun (only 1-2 where they are at, which is the grill shelf seen at the right of the picture.) There are some I'm wondering if they will grow more compact in brighter light, and a couple growing well but do not have the same coloring as when I received them. Maybe more sun will add color to them. We'll see!
20200711_152747.jpg

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is one ghost orchid way back in the swamps in Florida that is believed to be about 50 years old. It has long roots wrapped around a cypress tree and sometimes has as many as 16 flowers. A group spent months trying to figure out the pollinator for them. They went 50 feet up in the air and set up trap cameras. They actually have several pollinators all of them large moths.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
W WillowMarie - Those decorations are so cute! I can't wait to see what you put together next. I checked and they are available in Canada but I'm going to have to hold off. 😢

What is a fairy garden? And what is your experience with terra cotta pots? I was thinking about buying some but I heard that absorb a lot of water. Soaking them should help but watering is already a lot to keep on top of. Do succulents need full sun??

The ivy is back to normal today! I gave it a few sprays with fish water and when I woke up this morning, it was perkier than ever. Guess it just needed some water. Maybe the heat got to it too? It's raining today (started last night) so the living room is much cooler.

I'm wondering if I can bonsai some young rose-of-sharons my mom didn't want. I dug them up this morning because I was doing a lot of research last night and apparently, it's possible to bonsai. The ones I dug up are roughly 1 year old. Here is an example of a hibiscus syriacus bonsai.
img_2410.jpg

This is them. I started a bend. Going to attempt to intertwine them eventually to a degree. Not sure if they can be an indoor plant though.
Preview.jpg

Last edited:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W WillowMarie - Those decorations are so cute! I can't wait to see what you put together next. I checked and they are available in Canada but I'm going to have to hold off. 😢

What is a fairy garden?
Aren't they? Some people also make broken pot fairy gardens which are very cute.

From the web. Cute, right?? Life goals, but not sure if I want to purposefully break any of my pots to make one right now. The third picture though is stacking planters, which will be a future project, too.

And what is your experience with terra cotta pots? I was thinking about buying some but I heard that absorb a lot of water. Soaking them should help but watering is already a lot to keep on top of. Do succulents need full sun??
I've definitely use them and many people recommend them for succulents because the pots are porous and help the soil dry out faster, so less worrying of root rot. My herb kits came in terra cotta pots, and I seem to be watering them everyday, even the ones that haven't sprouted any seeds... So yes, I can agree with a lot of watering when plants are in terra cotta. Good for some plants though. I do like the styles of ceramic planters and am more cautious to add extra perlite or gravel for my succulents to make the soil more well-draining since the pots retain more moisture. What kind of pots do you use? Ceramic, plastic...? Any preferences and why?

It depends on the succulents! Some prefer full sun, some prefer partial/shade, some in between. Sometimes indoors in a bright window is not enough for some, which may depend on window facing direction (south has lots of sun) and how thick your window is. Haworthias are lower light and typically do just fine inside, even next to a window, from what I've heard.

This coral cactus isn't very happy in full sun. He has been with my other succulents getting a couple hours a day full sun early afternoon, but seemed to not be growing as much. I tried putting him between my vegetable pots, which would allow full shade /indirect light all day. It has been about a week and already looks like he is growing again, so I will keep this up for him.
20200711_182424.jpg

Some succulents turn colors when under sun stress or when happy. Many of the pinks and reds are due to this. Hard to tell in this picture, but this one has slight pink on the tips of the inner new growth! I'm hoping more full sun will deepen or expand the pink. Some of my succulents that came with pink/reds at the edges of the leaf are growing green on new growth, so some of these I will try increasing direct light exposure to see if it makes a difference in deepening the red colors.
20200711_182442.jpg

Some succulents also get a white powdery covering in stronger light, which is a protection mechanism to protect them from the sun, kind of like sun screen. This one it is very visible on. Can you tell where I feel the leaf for firmness if it needs water?? 🤣 It is not advised to wipe the white powder off because it is there for protection. The previous plant also has it, too, the one with the slight pink. Love the coloring as it makes it a light teal color. Very pretty in person!
20200711_182457.jpg

When they do not get enough sun, they can grow etiolated. Not sure if these are growing normal or if they are stretching a little. Thinking they are supposed to be more rosette type, so we'll see how more full sun will impact the growing.
20200711_182520.jpg

An example of etiliolation with my propagates. These were moved to direct window sun after looking etilioated.
20200711_182622.jpg

These I moved over sooner realizing indirect sun for propagating is different indoors than out. Leaving next to the window was not enough, so all my leaf propagates get moved to direct window once they start showing babies. We'll see if they continue to grow more compact as they age. If so, it was solely to do with how much light they were getting.

20200711_182643.jpg

The ivy is back to normal today! I gave it a few sprays with fish water and when I woke up this morning, it was perkier than ever. Guess it just needed some water. Maybe the heat got to it too? It's raining today (started last night) so the living room is much cooler.
Yea! :celebrate: So glad! That's an interesting insight with the heat. Maybe the combination of re-potting and the heat stressed it? Don't have much succesful experience with non-succulent plants, so it is interesting to hear techniques and experiences you have with your plants!

I'm wondering if I can bonsai some young rose-of-sharons my mom didn't want. I dug them up this morning because I was doing a lot of research last night and apparently, it's possible to bonsai. The ones I dug up are roughly 1 year old. Here is an example of a hibiscus syriacus bonsai.
View attachment 342678
Ooooh, if you do, you have to show it here! And share technique/strategy! Some succulents look like little trees as they grow woodier stems as they grow and can be maintained in a way to look like a little tree. Very inspiring to see what people create and would love to try some day.

Have you ever done a bonsai tree before?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat grass is planted. It'll be a day or two before grass starts poking out of the soil. I have a packet of this which I got from the garden center last year: Cat Grass Oats Seeds Nether cat have a reaction to catnip so I don't bother planting that.

I found a pretty big pot of hydroponic wheat grass at the independent market last year or so in the produce section next to the asparagus. I bought one and Leroy was :cloud9: for days and of course did his usual :barf:after eating a bunch each time :rolleyes:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 What is hydroponic wheat grass? How do you go about growing it?

Sounds like your kitty will be super happy when his cat grass is ready for him to munch :hugs:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy That meme is so great! Reminds me of my friends apartment. <3 All of her harmful plants, like cacti, are in the bottom of the long shelving unit on the right where there is a grate in front of them. It made me laugh when she put in the hanging plants, so she could create more room to store her plants. 🤣 :heartshape: She has such a beautiful collection of plants.