Share Your Indoor Plant Pictures

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My problem cases don't look any different. But at least they don’t look worse so that's an improvement.
20200706_211439.jpg

Maaaaayyyybbbeeee there's a new leaf in the middle:
20200706_211514.jpg

The wrinkly leaf fell off this one but it hasn't lost any more leaves:
20200706_211519.jpg

I bought a big bag of perlite so if I have to repot any I'll add that. It's annoyingly difficult to find some farm stuff in this farm state, lol.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
My problem cases don't look any different. But at least they don’t look worse so that's an improvement.
View attachment 342083

Maaaaayyyybbbeeee there's a new leaf in the middle:
View attachment 342084

The wrinkly leaf fell off this one but it hasn't lost any more leaves:
View attachment 342085

I bought a big bag of perlite so if I have to repot any I'll add that. It's annoyingly difficult to find some farm stuff in this farm state, lol.
Is that sand mixed into the substrate? Or is it just on the top?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's sand, I mixed it in. I didn't have anything else and it was better than plain potting soil. Like I said, I'll mix the perlite in when I get to it. I hope perlite isn't wildly unsuitable for some reason ;).

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the dead bulbs are an amaryllis set that someone brought in one Christmas, and now someone just waters it out of habit ;). But they definitely appear to be extremely dead.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Bummer, I'm sorry :( Yes, I've read a little about cacti cuttings and how long they can take. That is quite a while! Hope your little guy cooperates and sprouts roots for you <3
I think I got to him in time. I had to slice about 1cm off the bottom, but he looked healthy above that and he's already a little drier looking than he was yesterday. I've hidden him away on a top shelf in front of the window. Hopefully he'll pull through.
:crossfingers:
All of your succulents and cacti look great!
Perlite is fine as far as I know
I heard that pumice gravel/stone is good too. Hope that's true. I have a seam of black pumice running through the back yard, so I mixed some of that with potting mix for the last succulents I re-potted. They seem very happy with it so far.

Just wishing the rains would stop so everything can go back out on the deck and soak up the sun.

:sunshine:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the dead bulbs are an amaryllis set that someone brought in one Christmas, and now someone just waters it out of habit ;). But they definitely appear to be extremely dead.
Amaryllis bulbs are bigger though. These are about golf ball size. There's no root end from what I could find. Just a papery covering over the hard inside.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C catapault
Yes, it is a big difference in temperatures. I got the idea from a lithops group and others have tried it. Crazy, right? One of the experts replied they would be more worried about putting them in very hot sun than cooler temperatures, like a refrigerator. Would you have any other options to suggest if the house does not get cool enough and summer nights are staying in the 70's?

Furballsmom Furballsmom Thank you! I've kinda gotten that far, and am really hoping to find exact species, which is very hard it seems! This helps though!

LTS3 LTS3 Thanks, I will try that sometime! They are a very popular online site for quality succulents and great customer service, too. :)

W Willowy New leaves are a good sign! Hope they recover for you!

Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily Yes, fine sands like beach/play sand are not recommended. Apparently coarse sand is usable, although I haven't noticed any at stores around me.

All of your succulents and cacti look great!

Thank you! <3

Keep us updated on your cactus adventures. Glad you were able to cut him up to save its healthy parts!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W WillowMarie I dunno. But if you would not put your lithops outdoors when the temps are 38 to 42 degrees Fahrenheit why would you put them in a refrigerator?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why I thought this had roots. Now I feel like an idiot. I noticed the leaf curling and thought that was strange since I've been watering it and I decided to give it a tug and it came right out the dirt.
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Now I'm going to have to wait several weeks to see if this will root because these scindapsis take a long time to root. 😭

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wondering if some of my succies have normal leaf shriveling or not. Or maybe waiting too long before watering. It has been very hot, so the wrinkling shows up within a day or less and some of the leaves are shriveling. Plant looks good with no rot though.

This one also lost a random leaf. The one on the right... not sure what happened!

SAM_0595.JPG
SAM_0596.JPG
SAM_0597.JPG
SAM_0598.JPG

And more baby pics... because why not??? They are so cute! The one front and center has almost all the old leaf shriveled up. That is supposed to happen, so hope that is a good sign, and it was not pre-mature shriveling.
SAM_0600.JPG
SAM_0601.JPG
SAM_0602.JPG

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Received some goodies in the mail today. My cousin bought me come plant clippings to help celebrate my graduation. :cheerleader: :heartshape:

Most are brand new kinds. The bottom left may be a flapjack and there is a jelly bean left second from the bottom, but is much lighter in color, so wondering if it is a variegated or a different species. There are also at least one that is toxic and has a dangerous sap that can cause burning in the eyes, which is the fire stick. It is third row from the bottom, the one that is very straight, to the left of the rosette. Not planning to ever let my cats have access to my plants because they bother them, but good to know, just in case.

There are also a few that are popular in my succulent group, such as string of dolphins. That one should be the third tow from the bottom third from the right, to the right of the rosette. May have a couple other stings, like string of banana? Same row as the suspected jelly bean, two to the right of that.
SAM_0611.JPG

This one has a pretty deep color.
SAM_0609.JPG

Pretty red color. Rosettes are some of my favorites! (Closer up of the firestick, to the left, and what I think is string of dolphins to the right).
SAM_0610.JPG

Cleaned off the lower leaves. They will sit for a few days and will be stuck into dry soil and wait for roots to sprout.
SAM_0612.JPG

Pile of leaves and little pieces to hope to propagate. Not all are able to, but keeping all just in case.
SAM_0618.JPG

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read that the green succulents do better as indoor plants. What I read was the ones that are different colors from green need more sunlight then they can get indoors. I have been sticking with the green or the green that just have a little bit of color on the edges.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
denice denice Yes, agree. That is one of the reasons why I acclimated mine to spending the day outdoors. They will need to stay indoors during winter, but thinking of investing in some grow lights down the road.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found this thread and loving it! I adore African violets, ferns, tillandsias and..... okay, all of the plants here. :) I used to grow my plants inside but the collection outgrew my house and the cats liked to “ help” grow them. I still bring some in to enjoy the flowers but most are now in a greenhouse. My Spiderplant was put outside a few summers ago and the babies all took hold of the ground. Now it looks like a big bed of monkey grass. Lol I cover them with leaves in the winter and they are still spreading. They survived snow! Go figure.
Orchids are my favorites I guess. These smell wonderful! I have them outside right now because nature helps during bloom season. I have grown them with plant lights too.
EFE8971F-DE9F-492B-BAF7-E14D625988CE.jpeg
C2B44168-1FCD-4014-9107-1A6F43019AC4.jpeg
36D14F45-BCC1-4215-9EAE-EF5C4DF41D42.jpeg

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to think that orchids were very difficult and best left to master gardener types. I have recently read that some orchids are easy to care for and others are very picky and difficult to care for. They are unusual and exotic looking.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perlite is fine as far as I know. I just heard that sand can make potting mix more dense and therefore lead to root rot. But since you're going to repot, it should be fine.
Well, you are about to hear it again . . .

I've got about 300 potted palms in my back yard (I'm nutty) and mixing sand turns otherwise good soil into something like concrete, I swear. You wouldn't think that, but it does. :sigh:

W Willowy I'd mix that perlite in sooner instead of later.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found this thread and loving it! I adore African violets, ferns, tillandsias and..... okay, all of the plants here. :) I used to grow my plants inside but the collection outgrew my house and the cats liked to “ help” grow them. I still bring some in to enjoy the flowers but most are now in a greenhouse. My Spiderplant was put outside a few summers ago and the babies all took hold of the ground. Now it looks like a big bed of monkey grass. Lol I cover them with leaves in the winter and they are still spreading. They survived snow! Go figure.
Orchids are my favorites I guess. These smell wonderful! I have them outside right now because nature helps during bloom season. I have grown them with plant lights too.
View attachment 342398View attachment 342399View attachment 342400
Very nice Cattaleya/Laelia types! Greenhouse or window, or outside in good climate?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to think that orchids were very difficult and best left to master gardener types. I have recently read that some orchids are easy to care for and others are very picky and difficult to care for. They are unusual and exotic looking.
Try Epidendrum radicans. I've got some outdoors at my California hell-hole and they bloom off and on all year. If you kill them with neglect, you're likely already dead . . . . .

Seriously, they're tough buggers.

Others are much harder, especially types that have to have high humidity. Ohio houses have that dry heat, which many orchids just give up and die in. Phalaenopsis are easy in a greenhouse, but hard in your house for that reason.