Share Your Indoor Plant Pictures

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watering day! On these real hot days the plants turn thirsty real fast! I checked yesterday and thought they were fine and could wait a couple more days, but today half are very wrinkly and ready for a drink. Here are before watering pictures:

DSC_0118.JPG

The top right also had wrinkles, but my camera wasn't working to show detail.
DSC_0120.JPG

Hard to see, but the lower layer of the one on the right is very wrinkly!
DSC_0122.JPG

Mainly the one on the top (Look at that color! Light pinks on the new growth!!! <3 ) Lower is also wrinkly.
DSC_0123.JPG

This one very wrinkly again, multiple leaves. Surprised as this one had no visible wrinkles yesterday.
DSC_0124.JPG

Getting watered, too, and is that a flower???
DSC_0129.JPG

Still working to save this one. Less flimsy and more sturdy. Looking sad again, so trying to water?? We'll see with this one...
DSC_0130.JPG

And Isabelle outside because the air conditioner cleaner is coming in and may need to come downstairs, so my kitties on the deck. The dinning room is where I water my plants, and she stares at me accusingly wondering I'm not out there with them.... I promise! After my plants are watered I will spend the next 1.5 hours or until the people come and go out there with you all!
DSC_0133.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of the break areas at work has plants on the windowsill. What are these two succulents?

20200702_124925_HDR[1].jpg
20200702_124929[1].jpg

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Watering day! On these real hot days the plants turn thirsty real fast! I checked yesterday and thought they were fine and could wait a couple more days, but today half are very wrinkly and ready for a drink. Here are before watering pictures:

View attachment 341339
The top right also had wrinkles, but my camera wasn't working to show detail.
View attachment 341340
Hard to see, but the lower layer of the one on the right is very wrinkly!
View attachment 341341
Mainly the one on the top (Look at that color! Light pinks on the new growth!!! <3 ) Lower is also wrinkly.
View attachment 341342

This one very wrinkly again, multiple leaves. Surprised as this one had no visible wrinkles yesterday.
View attachment 341343

Getting watered, too, and is that a flower???
View attachment 341344

Still working to save this one. Less flimsy and more sturdy. Looking sad again, so trying to water?? We'll see with this one...
View attachment 341345

And Isabelle outside because the air conditioner cleaner is coming in and may need to come downstairs, so my kitties on the deck. The dinning room is where I water my plants, and she stares at me accusingly wondering I'm not out there with them.... I promise! After my plants are watered I will spend the next 1.5 hours or until the people come and go out there with you all!
View attachment 341346
You make me want to get into succulents again but I promised myself no more plants until September! 😭

- - - - - - - - - -

I have a lot so I'm just going to start with the plants I have by my aquarium and inside of it first.
20200704_095539.jpg

On the left side of my 40 gallon at the back, I have a peace lily (Spathiphyllum) and a Chinese evergreen (aglaonema Maria - not tigress like I had originally thought). At the front, a hedera helix glacier and a scindapsus pictus argyraeus. Off to the right is a fluffy ruffle fern also known as a boston fern. I wanted to see how its roots would do in water but it was rotting (even with aeration) so I had to take it out.

20200704_095703.jpg

This is the root system of the peace lily and the Chinese evergreen. The CE has had an explosion of new roots since I added the air diffuser.

20200704_095621.jpg

On the right side, there is an anthurium with little pothos (Epipremnum aureum) mixed with it (they were too small for the larger bunch). And next to it is a lucky bamboo (dracaena sanderiana which is actually not a bamboo at all).

20200704_095627.jpg

To the right of the lucky bamboo, I have a larger pothos which are just clusters of cut pieces joined together.

20200704_095711.jpg

And this is the root system of the lucky bamboo and the pothos. They also exploded with new growth after the air diffuser was added.

20200704_071215.jpg

Lastly for the aquarium section, I have a croton Petra (Codiaeum variegatum 'Petra').

That's it! I will post about my other houseplants when I have more time. The ones out of water, I plan on repotting in September. I can't now because all my starter planters are occupied by other houseplants which I won't be repotting until the fall either. I'm still new to this and learning as I go along. It's sort of like a aquaponic system I guess.

20200704_102345.jpg

This is everything all together. Not the prettiest but I'm still working on it. I need to get that glass cut for the top of the aquarium and I think once the plants are repotted, they'll look better.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are really putting together a botanical garden there. I don't have the magic green thumb for all that.

20200704_124343.jpg

I have been to the garden center at Lowe's again. This time I bought my own pots with a drainage hole in them to repot in. I got some potting soil for cactus and palms. I still went ahead and got some pearlite to mix in with the soil. I have them soaking up water from the bottom now. They were really dry. The one that I had from the supermarket didn't make it, it was really wet when I got it. The ones I got from Lowes earlier are a mixed bag. The little one that only is supposed to get only an ounce of water once a month is doing okay. The other one is a mix. A couple aren't looking good and a couple still look okay. I think the ones that don't look good have some kind of rot so I either overwatered or there isn't enough drainage. I had planned to put the ones that still look good in with these but I went overboard buying more plants.

The air plants are doing great. They are visibly growing. The one in the dome is going to need to be in a new place soon.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 Not sure on the species of those. The top ones are super wrinkly looking!

Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily The plants with the roots look so neat growing in the aquairum! The plant on top of the aquarium on the right has very pretty color combinations. Love the orange pop of color!

denice denice Look at all those succulents!!! Cute pots. A couple of my cuttings seemed to get root rot. It happens to the best of us. I cut the tops off and one was showing the start of roots today, so it was repotted.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They probably need to be watered. I have no idea who the plants belong to but sometimes see the janitorial staff take care of the plants on that floor :dunno:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 At least they are super hardy and can survive well between infrequent watering. They should perk right up once watered. Love how there are mystery plants in your work place :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's one mystery pot in that break area that bothers me. It's pot with several round brown bulb-like things completely submerged in gross looking water :headscratch: If I have time tomorrow I'll go get a pic. Maybe I'll fish out a bulb thing with a spoon to see what it might be.

I've finally identified my Crassula succulent as Crassula rupestris :)

Last edited:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've finally identified
Haha, this is how I feel with all my succulents! I'm still trying to figure out what most of them are. I should post tomorrow the names I know, and see if you guys know any of the other ones. Not sure what your process is, but I've posted on facebook groups, reddit, looked online multiple websites, and library books and still don't know what most of mine are, haha. Glad you figured that one out. :) Do you have any sources you'd recommend for looking up succulent species?

Yes, please share the mystery bulbs! Those sound interesting, and I'm curious to see what they look like.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
A couple of my cuttings seemed to get root rot. It happens to the best of us. I cut the tops off and one was showing the start of roots today, so it was repotted.
I've just noticed one of my cacti has root rot.

:bawling:

He was leaning over at a weird angle and when I tried to stand him up he came out of the pot and left his roots behind! I've been watching Cacti Care videos on YouTube. The advice seems to be cut the rotten bit off and let the cactus dry out and sprout new roots. Could take a month or more though.

:sigh:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan Bummer, I'm sorry :( Yes, I've read a little about cacti cuttings and how long they can take. That is quite a while! Hope your little guy cooperates and sprouts roots for you <3

My outdoor tomato has been shriveling a lot, so increased waterings, which have perked it up until the next day when it is shriveled. It looked like a weird angel, too, this morning and may be starting to rot? Not quite sure, but I pulled it up gently, dug a deeper hole and buried him with more of the stem underground. We'll see if the little guy can be saved. There are 2 plants in the same pot, and the other one is still going very strong and has not looked withering at all.

I'll do a photo dump later. Took pictures of my plants this morning. <3

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's my plant updates.

Jelly Bean. Watered 2x this week because he already seemed to be wrinkling again. It has been hot outside, which probably helps everything dry out faster.
SAM_0534.JPG

My cactus I really want to know what species it is. Repotted to bury more of the stem.
SAM_0536.JPG
SAM_0543.JPG

SAM_0537.JPG
SAM_0540.JPG
SAM_0541.JPG
SAM_0545.JPG
SAM_0546.JPG
SAM_0547.JPG

Looks like a flower???? <3
SAM_0548.JPG

Coral cactus, mistletoe cactus.
SAM_0549.JPG
SAM_0551.JPG
SAM_0552.JPG

This one was repot this week. It was one of my cuttings that had root rot, or something, and was beheaded. Roots started, so here it is!
SAM_0553.JPG

SAM_0554.JPG

Can you see the red trim on the new leaves? <3
SAM_0556.JPG

Still working to save this one. Everything I water it seems to perk up. I think there aren't many roots and it falls over often, so I pull it out to pull the old leaves off and bury deeper in the substrate.
SAM_0557.JPG

Here is it after pulling out.
SAM_0558.JPG

Many, many old leaves were taken off, exposing a very long roots/step. I thought that was a mass of roots, but mainly it was old leaves. A baby seemed soft in a part of the stem, so I pinched it off and will hope for roots.
SAM_0561.JPG

Repotted. Also added a little gravel and more perlite as this one may have been potted way back when I started with just succulent mix. After the plant stays perked up for about a week or so, I want to clip some more offshoots to root.
SAM_0563.JPG

My sad looking Haworthia. Been worried to water because I don't know if it is dying or just thirsty... Seems wrinkly in this picture. The magic of taking closer up pictures! I didn't realize this until looking at this picture. It will get a small watering soon.
SAM_0570.JPG

Pieces of my first hen and chick that had root rot from months ago. Babies still not putting out roots. A leaf (right) from another plant that root rotted along the same time. It has been slowly withering. A stem was also included, but that's about good and the leaf is starting to wither. Crossing my fingers something will happen. The lower left was the other one I chopped a week ago due to rot, no roots yet. There is a crassula head that fell off and just started sprouting roots. It has been maybe a month for that one? The long one on the left was an offshoot of one I gave my brother in his arrangement I'm hoping will grow roots. Other than that, some little ones from the chick and hen shown earlier that have fallen off the main plant. Those are tiny rosette shaped.
SAM_0571.JPG

Baby picks! Many leaves are turning transluscent, which isn't good. They are supposed to dry out instead. Hoping for the ones that are far enough along they will spout roots, it they haven't already. I tried to bury all visible roots to prevent them from drying out and push the ends of any not growing roots into the soil for when/if they do.
SAM_0572.JPG

You can seen shriveled leaves that did not propagate in from of the happy baby.
SAM_0573.JPG

Lots of shriveling here. They are not very excited to make them babies.
SAM_0575.JPG

This one is doing very well in this group. The leaves are very flat looking, which is unique given the succulent does not have such flat leaves.
SAM_0574.JPG

The happier ones. Aren't they cute??
SAM_0578.JPG

Very, very happy ones. (I think the one front and center right was a prop lift..... SHHHHHHH!)
SAM_0577.JPG

Random leaves waiting for roots or anything to emerge. Casualties are evident.
SAM_0576.JPG

Indoor cherry tomatoes. Flowers come soon! That means the first fertilizing is soon, according to the kit directions.
SAM_0579.JPG

My lithop looking nice and happy full of water. Should not need to water until fall.
SAM_0581.JPG

Only 3 babies left.... Wondering if the temperatures have been too hot for them to grow. Since they use CAM, opening their stoma at night after the temperatures have decreased to at least 65*, which helps them conserve water. I tried putting them in the refridgerator overnight.... may try a couple times to see if it makes a difference. It is staying too warm outside (70's) overnight to leave them on the deck, At this point, they look sad anyway, and I've lost a lot in the last week or so, so why not try it?
SAM_0582.JPG

indoor rose growing kit
SAM_0584.JPG

Cilantro..... just kidding! Basil. How'd I know?
SAM_0586.JPG

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W WillowMarie A refrigerator should hold at temperatures around 38 to 42 degrees Fahrenheit. That would seem to be a shockingly low temperature especially compared to summer daytime temperatures.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Haha, this is how I feel with all my succulents! I'm still trying to figure out what most of them are. I should post tomorrow the names I know, and see if you guys know any of the other ones. Not sure what your process is, but I've posted on facebook groups, reddit, looked online multiple websites, and library books and still don't know what most of mine are, haha. Glad you figured that one out. :) Do you have any sources you'd recommend for looking up succulent species?
I was just looking on the Mountain Crest Garden web site and scrolling through the "what other customers bought" thing and saw my Crassula.

Yes, please share the mystery bulbs! Those sound interesting, and I'm curious to see what they look like.
There's no water in the pot today and it's pretty gross looking :nervous: The bulb things are hard and covered with a papery skin. As far as I could tell, there is no root end so maybe it's not even a plant bulb :dunno: Maybe nuts or large seed of some kind?

20200706_120520_HDR[1].jpg

20200706_120605[1].jpg

20200706_120617[1].jpg

The wrinkly succulents:

20200706_120857_HDR[1].jpg

No idea what this one is:

20200706_120904[1].jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that's what it is too :)

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scratching my head in puzzlement over the lumpy brown things in the bowl. The only plant that comes to mind is water chestnut, Eleocharis dulcis.
1594085080950.png

I've grown them in an artificial fish pond. They are a sedge, so rather plain looking while growing. I love to eat them, raw. Nuisance to peel, need a small sharp knife.

But if this is what they are, and if they dried out, I think they may no longer be viable and are no longer good to eat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not mine. It's a plant hanging out on a break room windowsill at work along with the wrinkly succulents and mystery brown things in a pot.