Share Your Indoor Plant Pictures

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a real sucker for snake plants apparently. $5 at Menards, couldn't resist. Not sure where I'll put it yet.
20200620_174727.jpg

The leaf-dropping Escherichia dropped a few more leaves, but also seems to be growing some new ones? Ugh this plant is confusing me. The wind finally stopped so it's out catching some late afternoon rays, shouldn't be too strong.
20200620_174547.jpg

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Thanksgiving/Easter cacti get watered once a week, a good soaking. The "collection" (in the picture) also gets watered once a week, not as much. Maybe it has special soil; this doesn't seem to bother any of the plants. The others. . .ignore them until I think about it, then a good watering :D. I'm going to try what the label said this time, which is 1 inch in the bottom of the pot every 3 weeks.

"The collection" (yes I do need to go through it to pluck the brown leaves)
View attachment 339332

The window it's in is North-facing but has transluscent privacy screen on it. The window at work is also North-facing but no screen. I don't want to put it in the window, but on the counter a few feet away. So it wouldn't get direct sunlight. Probably the same amount it gets now with the privacy screen.
Love the arrangement! So many neat succulents!

Sounds like the plant will be getting similar sun because both north facing, even though the privacy screen may filter some out. I'd just keep an eye for any brown spots, which may signal too much sun before the plant has been acclimated. North facing windows actually have the least amount of light, or strength of light. You're plants seem to be growing well, although some of the taller ones may be slightly etiolated. The right one should be a bear paws, with the brown along the edge of the fuzzy leaves. :) It will be interesting to see if the plants grow differently without the privacy screen!

Here's the corner I want to put it in. You can see the window frame, it's pretty close but off to the side so no direct light.
View attachment 339341
Plant corner!!! Love this. Your other planter will be a lovely addition to the corner!

Here's a picture of the one that's dropping leaves. It lost 3 more today but it still doesn't look mushy! Even the dropped leaves are nice and crisp. I have no idea what's wrong with it.
View attachment 339358

Here's the jade plant, it was kind of limp because I hadn't watered it in a while, so I gave it a good soaking. I was going to leave it outside for a while to catch some evening sun but it's (still!) super windy out there so it kept blowing over.
View attachment 339359
Oh, interesting... the first one is losing leaves in the middle! Would you like me to post in that succulent group and see if anyone has suggestions? That's stumping me. How much full sun does it get? Maybe try moving it to an area with less direct sunlight and more shade or partial light? If the leaves are not turning mushy and transluscent, it should not be overwatered, and the leaves do not look wrinkly it shouldn't be from needing water.

What lovely color on the second one! Has it perked up from being watered? Is this one normally inside? Is it stretching or just limp from needing a drink? It almost looks like much of the plant is stretching left, which makes it look like it was growing towards the light and would benefit from extra light. If you only put the plants out occasionally, try to slowly introduce them to being outside to prevent them from sun burning.

The florist shop is now selling the same succulents for $15. It's just the same $10 plants in the plastic pot placed into a $5 decorative ceramic pot :rolleyes:

View attachment 339461

I soaked one of my air plants today, the one that's in the octopus holder. The ends were looking a little brown. I kept the base of the air plant out of the water and let the plant hang dry upside down.

Aw man. Kinda funny, too, because many times plants from the store need to be repot so their roots have more room to grow. Wonder if they are hoping it will help sell the plants because they are in fancy planters. ;)

How's your air plant today?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a real sucker for snake plants apparently. $5 at Menards, couldn't resist. Not sure where I'll put it yet.
View attachment 339813

The leaf-dropping Escherichia dropped a few more leaves, but also seems to be growing some new ones? Ugh this plant is confusing me. The wind finally stopped so it's out catching some late afternoon rays, shouldn't be too strong.
View attachment 339814
Oh no! Poor little one. The right lower leaf almost looks a little translucent and the left lower looks a little brown.The soil looks dry, is it try further down, too? I'm rooting for this guy to pull through!

Your snake plant looks really pretty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I soaked the purple tipped one the other day because the tips were looking a bit brown. The big one in the cat pot is doing ok. I don't think it needs to be soaked / misted any time soon.

I gave the succulents a bit of water today and let them drain on some pebbles :crossfingers: It'll be awhile until they get watered again. Do you think I could put both succulents in one pot together?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Added a few small gravel pieces to help steady the little ones. Some are going strong, some are looking sad. They seemed to be stretching despite the directions to keep in indirect light, so they are in front of the window now. Few pictures below! It has been a month since setting up, so most are between 3-4 weeks old!
SAM_0395.JPG
SAM_0401.JPG
SAM_0402.JPG
SAM_0403.JPG

This one still has many babies growing! Slight color is showing on this rosette. Don't mind the fuzzies or cat hair on my plants, haha. Thinking of trimming these off and hoping they grow roots for many plants. May cut some off in the next couple of days and wait to see how they do before cutting more off. The old growth also lost a leaf... Keeping an eye on this one.
SAM_0407.JPG

These are the oldest sprouted leaves and were moved in direct window light as they were stretching.
SAM_0408.JPG
SAM_0409.JPG
SAM_0410.JPG

A specific plant of leaves all have roots starting to brown. Hope I can save them. None have little babies growing yet, just roots.
SAM_0412.JPG

Also, tried out my drill today! Most of these were free, too! The black ones on the left were bought during a t-mobile tuesday special where an overstock.com special offered $8 off with no minimum and free shipping. These two sturdy planters were just under $8, so no charge! They have an interesting interior, so multiple holes needed to be drilled so there was no standing water in any of the compartments.

The purple container and mug were given to me from mum. She had them in her donate pile and pulled them out and offered them to me!

The pink bowl was found outside in a trashcan in the backyard. My brother and his ex used to have a dog here. I just noticed the bowl this week, pulled it out, and cleaned it!

The container in the lower right was an item given away from someone in the neighborhood. It is much prettier than in the pictures and will be beautiful for making an arrangement!

The dino planters were bought off Amazon. I love dinos, so that is one of my splurges when I bought pots last month.
SAM_0417.JPG
SAM_0418.JPG

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only two succulents I have, the haworthia and the Crassula :) Can they share a pot together?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The soil looks dry, is it try further down, too?
As far as I can tell, it's dry all the way down. I don't know what this plant wants!

The leaves look ok in person. I gave them all a wiggle and they seem firmly connected. For now.

It was new, then I put it in the plant corner at work, then I took it home when I noticed it was dropping leaves. I've had it on a bookshelf with minimal light. Now I put it outside, on the south-facing deck, under a metal lawn chair so it doesn't get rained on or direct sun. It's up to the plant now, I've done all I can. It's not supposed to be too hot this week.

Last edited:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only two succulents I have, the haworthia and the Crassula :) Can they share a pot together?

Gotcha, thanks! The Haworthia needs less water than the crasulla, so just be conscientious about how the Haworthia is doing. My first arrangement had a Haworthia and 2 other succulents in a small pot with no drainage holes and rocks in the bottom. I followed the directions to water once a week (did not soak because no drainage holes) and less in winter. The plants survived, but I've noticed when I've been keeping plants now in proper pots and doing the deep watering that the plants grow more and look happier. That may not have answered your question, but wanted to relate that I have had Haworthias with other plants. Many people keep arrangements with plants of different requirements and just keep a close eye on the plants to ensure they are all doing okay. I've noticed some of my arrangements with multiple plants have some that wrinkle before the others. It has only been about a month, and everyone looks okay, but I'm monitoring to see if it would be better to split them or rearrange into different potting groups.

Oh! It also depends on when the succulents have their growing season. Since plants in dormancy need less water, plants with similar growing seasons would do better together. You may want to research more for your specific species, but a quick google says Haworthias tend to grow winter-spring and crassulas grow more in spring summer. Again, you may still be able to keep them together, but it will be easier to put plants with similar watering and growing seasons together and they will be healthier. :) Does that help at all?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks W WillowMarie !

The succulent selections at the independent market were slim today :dunno: Just a few little pots indoors. None were great looking. The ones outdoors were overgrown for their little pots and just unhealthy looking.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgot my succies outside until 1:30. About an hour and a half later than the day before. After 11:30 they are in full sun, so an extra 1.5 hours of full sun... opps! Most look fine, but one may have gotten sunburn?? It is the second from the left, top row. I took the leaf off just in case it was something else and should have been pulled off.

20200621_171532.jpg

20200621_171612.jpg

My indoor mini rose kit had a seed germinate overnight! The company site listed 30-60 days germination rate, so I was super surprised to see it this early!
20200621_171624.jpg

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread is dangerous. It makes me want more plants. :lol: This is the only interesting picture I have on hand:

93840619_10163225306515332_1946823235492380672_n.jpg

These are my smallest lithops. The smaller one is really small - a bit smaller than a Canadian or American dime. That picture was taken in April when they were just beginning to split. The one on top has almost totally shed its older leaves.

I have 6 lithops, two tillandsias/air plants (I had several at one point, but I overwatered them :cringe:), 5 cacti, a crested eve's needle, a tiger jaws, and a split rock.

They're all pretty small because I'm still figuring out a good watering schedule. I'm much better at outdoor gardening! My indoors sit year round in a south-facing window, but it's pretty dry there (about 30% humidity when the air conditioning is on, and around 33% to 35% without).

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread is dangerous. It makes me want more plants. :lol:
I know, right? I also have a facebook succulent group I joined, and it makes me want to buy more plants all the time! Everyday there are multiple posts saying... you guys.... I went to the store and walked past the plant section.... I went to just look.... etc., etc. and they post pictures of a cart full of plants! 😂 It's like a huge group of enablers feeding off each other, haha. ;)

Welcome to the thread! <3

This is the only interesting picture I have on hand:

View attachment 340192

These are my smallest lithops. The smaller one is really small - a bit smaller than a Canadian or American dime. That picture was taken in April when they were just beginning to split. The one on top has almost totally shed its older leaves.

I have 6 lithops, two tillandsias/air plants (I had several at one point, but I overwatered them :cringe:), 5 cacti, a crested eve's needle, a tiger jaws, and a split rock.

They're all pretty small because I'm still figuring out a good watering schedule. I'm much better at outdoor gardening! My indoors sit year round in a south-facing window, but it's pretty dry there (about 30% humidity when the air conditioning is on, and around 33% to 35% without).
Love the lithops! I have one, too, plus some germinated seeds! How long have you had yours for? What are your best tips for them?

What does your watering schedule look like your your plants? My plants are in a south-facing window, too, although I'm transitioning them outside for the summer.

One of my chicks and hens is looking very sad. Hoping to save it.... I was excited to soon snip off the offshoots to grow on their own, but some have fallen off after going limp... keeping them just in case, but my hopes are not up they will root. Another of my clippings is turning brown on the stem, despite the exciting growth at the top. Will be snipping that and replanting after it callouses. Wish me luck! Pictures to come later as I'm on a different device than were my pictures were uploaded.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update time! Starting with some of my trouble plants!

This one has something going on with the stem :( Waiting for feedback, but believe I should be chopping and replanting. The only thing it is not mushy, like normal with root rot.

SAM_0468.JPG

This is the top of that plant... Growing very well stil! Is that a little yellow on the left in one of the bundles....???? Is it going to flower?? better not be a death bloom, haha. ;)
SAM_0489.JPG

Second problem plant. This one is like this all the way around and cannot hold the plant up anymore and is soft here. But confusing there may be roots growing out of the bottom part of the squishy part.
SAM_0485.JPG

Sad looking hen and chicks. Lost most of the bottom leaves and some of the offshoots fell off. I watered it yesterday because the soil was dry, and I was hoping it was just thirsty and I waited too long. Seems perked up a little. All succulent plants were also kept inside today because storms off and on.
SAM_0473.JPG

Another view of all the offshoots. Still droopy, but a bit better.
SAM_0474.JPG

This cacuts will be repot to cover the discoloured part all the way into the soil. Thinking about the white one on the left, but still deciding.
SAM_0477.JPG

Lithops! Nice and plump <3 No watering for a long time now.
SAM_0483.JPG

Lithops seeds. Been misting everyday, but believe every couple of days may be okay at this point. I do water the substrate when dry, which is every few days it seems. Seems like I lost a few, but some are growing strong, too!
SAM_0482.JPG

Buried the roots of my propagates because many roots were drying up. Hope they make it!!! I want some babies!!!
SAM_0480.JPG

More babies that have buried roots.
SAM_0481.JPG

Attachments

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, right? I also have a facebook succulent group I joined, and it makes me want to buy more plants all the time! Everyday there are multiple posts saying... you guys.... I went to the store and walked past the plant section.... I went to just look.... etc., etc. and they post pictures of a cart full of plants! 😂 It's like a huge group of enablers feeding off each other, haha. ;)

Welcome to the thread! <3

Love the lithops! I have one, too, plus some germinated seeds! How long have you had yours for? What are your best tips for them?

What does your watering schedule look like your your plants? My plants are in a south-facing window, too, although I'm transitioning them outside for the summer.

One of my chicks and hens is looking very sad. Hoping to save it.... I was excited to soon snip off the offshoots to grow on their own, but some have fallen off after going limp... keeping them just in case, but my hopes are not up they will root. Another of my clippings is turning brown on the stem, despite the exciting growth at the top. Will be snipping that and replanting after it callouses. Wish me luck! Pictures to come later as I'm on a different device than were my pictures were uploaded.
My watering schedule is basically me thinking, "When was the last time I watered these? Eh, might as well give them a drink." :lol: It's really dry and not humid here, especially indoors, so they probably should be getting more water. :rolleyes2: All of them are planted in at least 80% crushed quartzite and a little bit of potting soil so they don't retain too much moisture. I lost all of my cacti several years ago because I watered them on a set schedule and they rotted. They were also planted in a really organic, soil-y mixture, which held too much moisture. :cringe:

As for my lithops, two were bought last month, and the other two were bought last year, one in the fall and maybe the other in the spring. I honestly can't remember if I ever watered the older ones (if I did, it was when they weren't splitting, since they get their water from the withering old leaves). But they must be doing well if they're both splitting! I'm still learning about their growth cycles! Funky little plants, they are.

Last edited:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My watering schedule is basically me thinking, "When was the last time I watered these? Eh, might as well give them a drink." :lol: It's really dry and not humid here, especially indoors, so they probably should be getting more water. :rolleyes2: All of them are planted in at least 80% crushed quartzite and a little bit of potting soil so they don't retain too much moisture. I lost all of my cacti several years ago because I watered them on a set schedule and they rotted. They were also planted in a really organic, soil-y mixture, which held too much moisture. :cringe:

As for my lithops, two were bought last month, and the other two were bought last year, one in the fall and maybe the other in the spring. I honestly can't remember if I ever watered the older ones (if I did, it was when they weren't splitting, since they get their water from the withering old leaves). But they must be doing well if they're both splitting! I'm still learning about their growth cycles! Funky little plants, they are.

Where do you get your quarzite? That sounds pretty! I've been looking for something other thank perlite or coarse sand to use, like some kind of rock type thind, but stuff at the hardware store seems too big. I'm using some old aquarium gravel to supplement some of the perlite and succulent soil mix because that is what I had on hand.

If they are not wrinkly, they should be still happy if you haven't watered them. I've read some lithops species may get enough from the air or just need to be sprayed and not a full water, while others do. Sounds like yours are doing well! Splitting is a good sign. They are doing their thing :)

• Purraise
Reactions: Moz

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I have to stay out of the plant section, lol. Any ideas what kinds these are?

They were VERY wet (overenthusiastic Walmart employee I suppose) so they're staying outside for a few days to dry, hope they don't get root rot.

20200627_195031.jpg

The green Escherichia has lost all its leaves, except the ones on top :(. I pulled it out for the roots to dry. Now it looks a little shrively, do you think it wants some water now?
20200627_195054.jpg

The leaves on top seem pretty healthy though, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

20200627_195118.jpg

And now, the pink Escherichia is dropping leaves! And they were mushy. I also pulled it out for the roots to dry and it hasn't dropped any more since. But a couple of the leaves look shrively now, like it wants water? These guys are hard.
20200627_195134.jpg

20200627_195138.jpg

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy The potting medium in your last few pictures looks very fibrous, which would be water retentive. Maybe clean it all away from the succulent roots and repot in a gritty, freely draining medium.