Share Your Indoor Plant Pictures

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Fairy Tail Cactus? No, the flowers are real. It does look like the flowers were glued on :lol: Supermarket plants aren't the healthiest to buy. Maybe someone with a greener thumb than me can coax a supermarket plant to live.

I love these paper succulents: Potted Crepe Paper Succulents Paper plants would be a nice addition to my dark kitchen and cat-safe. I already have a paper sunflower bouquet sitting in a huge Erlenmeyer flask but a smaller plant or two would be nice.

I window browse the florist shop after work these days just to kill time before my Uber ride shows up :) Nothing interesting has been set outside lately, just the usual bouquets and green potted foliage. And no more cat planters on display. I think I bought the only two available :biggrin:

Sounds like your brother bought a full sized sheet pan which doesn't fit in any standard sized kitchen oven. It'll work great to hold all your plants :)

Your succulents are growing so well 👍 Do you sell the extra plants you grow?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 Those are fake flowers glued onto the fairy castle cacti. A quick Google came up with "Fairy Castles are often sold with bright straw pink or yellow flowers hot-glued to its spires to add color. Many growers prefer to gently remove the fake flowers, or allow them to fall off as the cactus grows."

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is true about supermarket plants. One of the pots of multiple succulents I bought was from the supermarket and the rest came from the garden center at Lowes, there is definitely a difference in how healthy the plants look. I have read that succulents actually seem to thrive on neglect so maybe the supermarket one will also survive.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
20200615_095302.jpg

I went to a nursery and got more air plants, three of them are blooming. I asked her about the soaking vs misting. They soak the top half 5 minutes twice a week and let dry upside down. They soak on Tuesday and Friday so these are about due. She said with misting water can sit in the center of the plant and cause rot.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love these paper succulents: Potted Crepe Paper Succulents Paper plants would be a nice addition to my dark kitchen and cat-safe. I already have a paper sunflower bouquet sitting in a huge Erlenmeyer flask but a smaller plant or two would be nice.
Wow, beautiful!

I window browse the florist shop after work these days just to kill time before my Uber ride shows up :) Nothing interesting has been set outside lately, just the usual bouquets and green potted foliage. And no more cat planters on display. I think I bought the only two available :biggrin:
What a nice use of time! That's fun they keep a bunch of things outside so you can look without going inside. I wonder if they will order more planters since some were bought. Maybe they will get something else cute in!

Your succulents are growing so well 👍 Do you sell the extra plants you grow?
Thank you! I hope to! Figured it will help me bring in some money to sell the extras. If some are ready around December, that will be a great time to hopefully sell some with holiday demand.

That is true about supermarket plants. One of the pots of multiple succulents I bought was from the supermarket and the rest came from the garden center at Lowes, there is definitely a difference in how healthy the plants look. I have read that succulents actually seem to thrive on neglect so maybe the supermarket one will also survive.
They do thrive on neglect. Although from what I've heard, supermarkets and some other places overwater, which can be a death sentence, so it depends on if the neglect is overwatering or just forgotten about. Rooting for your plants to grow strong and healthy!

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 339077

I went to a nursery and got more air plants, three of them are blooming. I asked her about the soaking vs misting. They soak the top half 5 minutes twice a week and let dry upside down. They soak on Tuesday and Friday so these are about due. She said with misting water can sit in the center of the plant and cause rot.
Look at those blooms!!! so unique! Wow! I've never seen blooms from air plants before.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pretty air plants denice denice :) I had two flowering ones last year. The flowers didn't last too long. I think growing conditions at work weren't ideal.

20190612_063026.jpg

Nothing interesting at the florist shop today. Just lots of greenery:

20200615_143321_HDR[1].jpg

20200615_143342_HDR[1].jpg

The black and white striped vases in the window are new.

Saw these articles about interesting succulents:

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I love both of those! It's a bit too hot to order any right now (they'd cook in the mailbox); I'll have to see if I can find either of those locally.

I wish I could see the conditions at the greenhouses where they grow succulents and air plants. Because if they can grow them up big and healthy and then sell them at Sam's Club for $6.50 each, it can't be that hard, right?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What I have read about succulents is that they thrive on neglect but I am challenged when it comes to houseplants. I have a nasty habit of overwatering which is how I think I have killed them in the past. What I have read about air plants is they need to get enough water and air circulation. With the soaking you have to make sure that water doesn't sit in the center of the plant which the lady at the nursery told me is called the crown because that will cause rot. I have read that you can put just a touch of orchid food in the water for air plants during the growing season but the lady at the nursery said that they didn't use it, just a 5 minute soak of the top half of the plant twice a week.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried just about everything with air plants. The latest batch is doing ok, but who knows how long that will last. I definitely can't get them to bloom.

I have a few succulents that have lasted a good long while but others have died, with the same treatment. So I just don't know.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's hard to get them to bloom. When I saw that many of the ones at the nursery were blooming I asked her about watering and food. She didn't have them in a greenhouse. They had a separate building with indoor plants and things like colored stones and little things to put in a terrarium. I think some of it probably depends on the humidity level in your home. In nature they grow on other plants in warm humid areas.

One thing everything I have read agrees on don't use water right out of the tap. The recommendations have been either filtered water or rainwater. If tap water is used it should sit out for 24 hours so the chlorine evaporates out.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think some of it probably depends on the humidity level in your home.
That probably is the biggest factor with air plants. The ones I have that are still alive live in the bathroom, where they get steamed up on a regular basis because of the shower. So even though I always have them in a little Ikea greenhouse, I think the extra humidity in the bathroom helps. I'd put them outside in the summer so they could get humidity I'm not sure that would work for them either.

Ok, plant people! I have a neglected jade plant that has lived on the windowsill in the bathroom for a few years. I rarely water it (I think they like more water than most succulents) and a lot of leaves dropped off at one point so it looks a bit sparse. I want to take it to work but I don't want to shock the poor thing. It's in an ugly pot so I'd want to repot it too, but maybe I shouldn't do it right away? Any tips for acclimating it?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried just about everything with air plants. The latest batch is doing ok, but who knows how long that will last. I definitely can't get them to bloom.

I have a few succulents that have lasted a good long while but others have died, with the same treatment. So I just don't know.
What is your normal treatment with succulents?

I've recently been learning to watch for signs of thirst before watering and trying that technique. In the past, I was watering once a week as long as the soil seemed dried out. My jelly beans often lost leaves, but never root rotted. One of my friends mentioned hers did this, too, and someone at a greenhouse she visited said they were being watered too much. This surprised me, but one of my new cuttings is a jelly bean and I only watered it once to far, which was when one of the lower leaves looked a little wrinkly. All of the leaves are nice and plump now and no leaves have been lost yet! We'll see as it grows if it continues. Although, I believe losing some leaves are also normal as the plant grows.

Here is my little one before watering. Notice the shriveling on the right leaf and some on the lower left, too. This plant also has a little sunburn, which is the brown colorations on the left upper leaves from not being acclimated into the sun slowly. Only cutting to have done this, so this little one may just be more sensitive and need slower transitions.
SAM_0228.JPG

After watering this little one once, it plumped right up within a day or two! This has been so fascinating with me because I've never tried to read my plants for thirst before. The leaves may also have curled a bit before? They look straighter in this picture, too.
SAM_0373.JPG

One thing everything I have read agrees on don't use water right out of the tap. The recommendations have been either filtered water or rainwater. If tap water is used it should sit out for 24 hours so the chlorine evaporates out.
What...?? Can you expand on this more? I've been using water right out of the tap for my vegetable plants and succulents... I know there is chlorine that dissipates out of the water as I used to do this for fish tanks, but never thought to do this for plants before. Educate me, please! :worship:

Ok, plant people! I have a neglected jade plant that has lived on the windowsill in the bathroom for a few years. I rarely water it (I think they like more water than most succulents) and a lot of leaves dropped off at one point so it looks a bit sparse. I want to take it to work but I don't want to shock the poor thing. It's in an ugly pot so I'd want to repot it too, but maybe I shouldn't do it right away? Any tips for acclimating it?
Can we see pictures of the plant? I've learned a lot of tips from my succulent plant group and looking at plants and people's suggestions for it. Pictures help! ;)

What direction is the window where it is currently at and what window directions will it be in at the office? (N, S, E, W?) Also, sometimes windows have different thicknesses, so some may allow more light and others filter more light, so something to consider. My first picture above of my jelly bean shows sun burn, which is normally brownish discoloration on a plant. If you notice this discoloration, the plant should be placed in more shade/indirect light and make a slower transition to full light. :)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had read that water straight out of the tap shouldn't be used for air plants. I read that in multiple different articles, I didn't see that about any other plants. I soaked mine today. I put a bowl of tap water out yesterday and used that to soak them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is your normal treatment with succulents?
The Thanksgiving/Easter cacti get watered once a week, a good soaking. The "collection" (in the picture) also gets watered once a week, not as much. Maybe it has special soil; this doesn't seem to bother any of the plants. The others. . .ignore them until I think about it, then a good watering :D. I'm going to try what the label said this time, which is 1 inch in the bottom of the pot every 3 weeks.

"The collection" (yes I do need to go through it to pluck the brown leaves)
20200616_125933.jpg

What direction is the window where it is currently at and what window directions will it be in at the office? (N, S, E, W?
The window it's in is North-facing but has transluscent privacy screen on it. The window at work is also North-facing but no screen. I don't want to put it in the window, but on the counter a few feet away. So it wouldn't get direct sunlight. Probably the same amount it gets now with the privacy screen.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I let my air plants dry upside down for a few hours after misting but they somehow always end up dying :dunno: I don't have a window in the bathroom so my air plants just hang out in the bedroom.

Love your pot of succulents W Willowy :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a picture of the one that's dropping leaves. It lost 3 more today but it still doesn't look mushy! Even the dropped leaves are nice and crisp. I have no idea what's wrong with it.
20200616_185001.jpg

Here's the jade plant, it was kind of limp because I hadn't watered it in a while, so I gave it a good soaking. I was going to leave it outside for a while to catch some evening sun but it's (still!) super windy out there so it kept blowing over.
20200616_185038.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The florist shop is now selling the same succulents for $15. It's just the same $10 plants in the plastic pot placed into a $5 decorative ceramic pot :rolleyes:

20200617_142932_Burst01[1].jpg

I soaked one of my air plants today, the one that's in the octopus holder. The ends were looking a little brown. I kept the base of the air plant out of the water and let the plant hang dry upside down.