Share Your Indoor Plant Pictures

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
maggie101 maggie101 Your picture is beautiful. I used to do crewel years ago, but was never as skilled as you are. Nice!

I don't have any plants in the house; the cats simply will not allow them. So here are some shed plants.

Two of the recently replanted African violets. The leaves are still a little droopy and I'm hoping they make it through. I also have three baby violets on the shelf above the shed door, but forgot to get pictures.
2020AfricanVioletsRESIZED.jpg

This is/was my great-grandmother's Christmas cactus. She had the thing for years and it was a blooming idiot. She gave it to Mom and it promptly stopped blooming. Mom got so frustrated she threw it out in the yard; then she felt sorry for it and brought it back into the house. Years later, her home aide took it home and got it to bloom. The thing was loaded with blooms and buds. She gave it back to Mom and all the flowers fell off and it refused to bloom. Mom brought it into work and gave it to me. I put it in our planning office in full sun and it bloomed three times a year: once in November, again at the end of December, and then again in February. Since I brought it to the shed, it hasn't bloomed. I didn't get much in the way of a December bloom, nor did I get a February bloom. I'll put it outside on the deck this summer.
2020CactusRESIZED.jpg

This is a cornstalk (dracena?) plant. It was originally given to me in an anniversary plant basket from my parents. I kept it at work and when it all got too big, I separated the plants. This just grew and grew and.....well, the thing is almost as tall as I am. It needs transplanted into a deeper container.
2020CornstalkRESIZED.jpg

My pothos and the umbrella tree (with a prayer plant). One of my co-workers and I each bought a pothos when he first started working with me. They were 2 for $6. We put them on shelves at the tops of our cubes and, as they grew, we let them tendril down the outsides of our cubes in the hallway. We had all this "green" outside our office cubes and people just thought it was the coolest thing. When I retired, we had a devil of a time, getting all the tendrils unconnected and ending up cutting the tendrils off. I brought mine home and stuck it in the shed and it seems to be doing well.

There's also my umbrella plant. We had a huge plant in the foyer at work that had touched the ceiling and was working its way back down. Maintenance was told to cut it or throw it out. They cut it and gave pieces to people. I brought my piece home and stuck it in a pot and let it go. It's doing really well!
2020PothosRESIZED.jpg

This is the planter that I stuck the umbrella tree piece into. At one time, it had been home to a prayer plant, but the prayer plant needed more light than what I had in my cube and it was lanky and sickly. I cut it off at soil level. Well, when I got the umbrella tree piece home, I just stuck that into the same planter. And there you go. It was a good six months ago (at least) that I cut that prayer plant out. And that puppy came back. I was shocked. I'm going to let them grow together; evidently they like each other.
2020PrayerPlantRESIZED.jpg

My pencil plant is at the back of the table. I don't know what the technical name for it is; we just called it a pencil plant. A maintenance guy at work had one and he got a baby. He asked me if I wanted said baby and I took it. It was about 3 inches high when I got it and it just grew.

Two planters of African violet leaves are in front of the pencil plant. When I finished transplanting the violets, I found these perfectly good leaves leftover and, well, I didn't want to just kill them. So I planted them up. We'll see what happens.

And in the foreground is a baby to the original cactus that I showed you. I wanted to see if I could grow a baby, so I stuck some leaves in some potting soil. That's what happened. I had another baby, but gave that to a co-worker (with the understanding that if/when he no longer wants it, he'll give it back).
2020PencilPlantRESIZED.jpg

For years, I've never been able to have plants in the house because of the house. Well now that I have a place for them, I'd like to start getting a few more. I'd love to have a lemon tree; I had a gorgeous orange tree, but Hydrox peed and pooped in the planter (boy, I could tell you stories about that feline child!) and I lost it. I'd also like to try my luck with a banana tree and a coffee tree. And, of course, some gardenias, although I think that's a heartbreak waiting to happen. I'm going to start some avocado plants, just because.

But one plant that I've always wanted (for years! decades!) is a night-blooming jasmine. White Flower Farms has them, but they're pretty expensive (esp if I end up murdering the poor thing).

Every time I get up enough nerve to take a chance and buy the thing, it's always sold out. That means something, I think.
Jasmine in Whichford Garden Border Pot and saucer

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, that Christmas cactus is amazing!! I guess they are picky about the environment/humidity/light they prefer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I repotted my Pilea a few weeks ago and it's still looking a little droopy :ohwell: I can't figure out why. I water once a week, fertilizer once a month, the pot sits in front of a southeast window but I do move it away if the sun is too bright. It still putting out new leaves which means it's not completely dead.

The mini African Violet also got repotted. It hasn't flowered since I got it a year ago:dunno:

I'm down to 3 air plants now. Two started turning brown for some reason. I'd like to get a few replacements. The garden center is open again but I'll wait a few weeks while they figure out how to best keep everyone safe.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess you could say I have seasonally indoor plants. The name of the game is to keep them alive over the winter until it is time for them to become part of the outdoor decor. So this morning on my way downstairs I picked up the pot of red spot banana and carried it
Garden Chores_2020-04_stair case between floors.jpg
downstairs
Garden Chores_2020-04_red spot banana in foyer.jpg
and I had not even had my morning coffee yet!
Then in the afternoon I chose another, slightly larger pot,
mixed potting soil, moved banana, pot, soil, etc around back
Garden Chores_2020-04_red spot banana outdoors for summer.jpg
and this is where it will spend its summer. I will worry about the return trip
indoors and upstairs when the time comes. But that's months and months away.​

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I want to get more plants. I looked at the limited indoor plant selection at the market today but nothing caught my eye. There were some unusual succulents like String of Bananas but the soil was super soggy and I wasn't sure if they would get root rot later. Maybe I'll take a trip to the garden center this weekend if I can get a ride from my friend.

W WillowMarie how are your succulents?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to get more plants. I looked at the limited indoor plant selection at the market today but nothing caught my eye. There were some unusual succulents like String of Bananas but the soil was super soggy and I wasn't sure if they would get root rot later. Maybe I'll take a trip to the garden center this weekend if I can get a ride from my friend.

W WillowMarie how are your succulents?
So exciting, thanks for asking! :hugs: I also went looking at plants while picking up fertilizer for my vegetable garden plants the other day. I'm cheap though, so nothing was on sale even though many things caught my eye. That's a bummer about the soggy soil. You'll have to update what you find at the garden center when you go. :) Were you the on with succulents, too? Would you mind sharing yours? Which are your favorite?

P.S. I just realized you tagged me in a thread I didn't know about. So excited about this one! Thank you! <3

Here's an update on my plants! Succulents first!

This one was one of the 3 months in a box crew and growing little tufts of hair, so it is still alive!
SAM_0209.JPG

Still do not know what this one is doing. I've read about death blooms, and this succulent should be one that does them. Or maybe just making tons of baby offshoots? Another from the 3 month in a box crew, which is why the growth was is so werid, but it has been mega growing since back in the sun.
SAM_0151.JPG

My first time with anything that looks like a start to successfully propagating leaves. This had been very exciting! Every day there is new growth or a new leaf that has sent out roots! So many babies!

SAM_0211.JPG
SAM_0214.JPG
SAM_0197.JPG
SAM_0204.JPG

This Haworthia had mega root rot (oops!), so the large tap root was cut in half and most of the thinner roots were pulled... Letting it sit for a few days to callus over and replanting. Hoping I can save it. It looks pretty sad to me.
SAM_0224.JPG

Lastly, my indoor tomato growing kit has seedlings with 2-3 new sets of leaves! I'm supposed to pull all but the healthiest 2 as soon as they reach 2 inches, but may replant the pulled ones to see if I can grow in another put.

SAM_0222.JPG

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have any succulents at the moment. I had an echeveria a couple years ago but it ended up dying a few months later despite hardly being watered and getting plenty of sun :frown:

Have you tried growing succulents from seed? There's an Etsy shop that sells seeds for really unusual succulents: Little Leaf Garden by littleleafgarden

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, that's a bummer. One of my friends who is a plant guru has tons of indoor plants. They are gorgeous and green! Although, she was just mentioning to me when we talked the other day she cannot keep succulents alive, except for her aloe vera. On the other hand, I haven't had the best luck with leafy plants but greater success with succulents. Sounds like you were doing everything right for your echeveria. Maybe it had root rot when you bought it and couldn't be saved? :hugs:

I've germinated and bought lithops seeds, although many places that sell succulent seeds that actually sell real succulent seeds are hard to find. After checking out one of the products, there don't seem to be reviews with pictures of sprouts that look like succulents. Many reviews also have had no germinations. Have you tried to grow succulents from seeds or know someone who has?

Here is the lithops seed kit I bought, which came with an adult one, too. High germination rates for myself and many reviewers. 25 Lithops Seeds + 1 Live Lithops Plant + Mini Germination Kit / OR Lithops Seeds Only / Premium Authentic Lithops Seeds
SAM_0136.JPG

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Huh. I just went through that Etsy shop's reviews. The oldest review is from this past April so it's a new-ish shop. Many of the reviews are negative. That neon blue succulent is questionable (photo shopped maybe?). I've attempted to grow succulents from a kit before but they never germinated :dunno:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
W WillowMarie I keep forgetting about the little florist shop across the street from work. I stopped by today and browsed the selection outside the small shop. It was mostly bouquets plus a flat of small succulents:

20200603_145940_HDR.jpg

Some Echeveria and Haworthia Zebra. They look pretty healthy. Is $10 reasonable? The shop is in a expensive urban area so items may be priced higher than exact same plants at a garden center out in the suburbs. I am going to the garden center this weekend. I'm going to try to limit myself to a few air plants and no more than 2 small plants.

20200603_145925[1].jpg

I want the cat planter that was displayed in the shop window:biggrin:

Last edited:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W WillowMarie I keep forgetting about the little florist shop across the street from work. I stopped by today and browsed the selection outside the small shop. It was mostly bouquets plus a flat of small succulents:

View attachment 337303

Some Echeveria and Haworthia Zebra. They look pretty healthy. Is $10 reasonable? The shop is in a expensive urban area so items may be priced higher than exact same plants at a garden center out in the suburbs.
Seems expensive, especially for not coming in a ceramic or fancy planter. Agree with Willowy though, if they are healthy though you made find it worth it. Many places over water succulents, which leads to root rot, and these here look pretty dry and healthy. Plus a couple have babies!

There are some really great places to order from online (like Etsy) that also have great quality and may be cheaper. The cuttings I got were 10 cuttings (+1 extra in each order) for ~$15 with free shipping. Between both orders, all have rooted and are growing new leaves so far except for 5 (out of 22 plants). Plus, many of the leaves are propagating that were pulled to stick the succulent stems in dirt, so I will be having lots of plants from that one order! I recommend trying cuttings, although some people prefer to buy rooted plants or get to choose the variety they want. :)

Some people also ask if store associates would mind if they pick up fallen leaves on the ground and take them. The thought is that they normally would just throw them away anyway, and many places say yes.

I am going to the garden center this weekend. I'm going to try to limit myself to a few air plants and no more than 2 small plants.
Good luck! Cannot wait to see your plant haul, if you end up getting some :loveeyes:

Do you currently have air plants? I had one once, but killed it...

View attachment 337312

I want the cat planter that was displayed in the shop window:biggrin:
So cute!

I bought some very tiny cat planters for babies. They will be great for all my little leaf propagates.

SAM_0272.JPG
SAM_0273.JPG
SAM_0286.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cute mini cat planters :) I was going to buy a small succulent from the florist shop today but my Uber driver was arriving minutes after I requested a ride. I'll do it tomorrow and see if the cat planter is for sale and not just a display object. I don't mind supporting a local small business :agree:

I've had a couple of air plants over the past year. Many died for some reason. I know one got root rot even though I let it dry upside down after soaking :dunno: I currently have 3 air plants.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute mini cat planters :) I was going to buy a small succulent from the florist shop today but my Uber driver was arriving minutes after I requested a ride. I'll do it tomorrow and see if the cat planter is for sale and not just a display object. I don't mind supporting a local small business :agree:
Thank you! Bought them off Amazon. That's a good point, supporting local businesses :) Hope the cat pot is for sale for you!

I've had a couple of air plants over the past year. Many died for some reason. I know one got root rot even though I let it dry upside down after soaking :dunno: I currently have 3 air plants.

Bummer, why are they so hard to keep? I read they were supposed to be so easy to keep! Haha. Pics of the ones you have now? Are they in special air plant containers? My school had an event where you could twist a coat hanger into a spiral with a hoke to hold the air plant. That's where I got mine. Also, if you end up getting a succulent, pics, too, please!!! :D