Share Your Indoor Plant Pictures

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nice plant :D It looks more like a string of green peas than pearls :lol:

I finally got the mini AV re-potted last weekend. It seems to be doing ok:crossfingers: I was going to take it to work but I think I'll just keep it at home now. The Crispy Wave fern lost one leaf but is doing ok otherwise. I have some cat grass growing in a paper cup right now. It's not ready for Leroy to eat yet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I took my Pilea home from work in late July and it's doing a lot better. More sun and the temperature is warmer. No more freezing cold office temp.

Picture from June: Share Your Indoor Plant Pictures

The plant now:

My AV hasn't flowered in months but is otherwise still putting out new leaves. I do fertilizer monthly but maybe I need to increase it a bit:think:

I currently have a pot (well, paper cup) of cat grass growing.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All the indoor plants look so gorgeous. I would love to have some, but one of my cats eats any plant I bring in -even silk ones!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat grass and cat nip are two safe plants to have :) Paper plants, too.

Pliea p. is cat-safe but I still keep it away from the cats except when I have the one pot by the slider door to get sun. Fortunately my plant gobbler cat leaves it alone.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only plants I have inside now are my orchids, which just look so-so (I keep forgetting to fertilize them). I will be moving the rest of my houseplants back inside Friday since it is going to drop into the 30s. I am not looking forward to trying to figure out where to put everything since I added to the collection this year. I bought a silver dollar eucalyptus in a 4 inch pot at the beginning of the summer. It is now in an 8 inch pot it has grown so fast. My coffee tree and cardamom plants also grew very fast. I also rooted a bunch of non hardy things so I don't have to replace them next year in the yard so now I have to find a spot to over winter them indoors. I will try to get some photos later.
In one of the earlier posts someone mentioned that pothos and philodendron are not toxic to animals. They are slightly toxic. They contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals which can irritate the mouth, throat and GI tract and in rare cases cause breathing problems. Any member of the Araceae family contains the crystals, such as spathaphyllums (peace lily), Diffenbachia (Dumbcane) and Schefflera (Umbrella Tree).

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, what's the secret to air plants? I seem to have a knack for killing them :/. I mist them more often, they die. I mist them less often, they die. Don't mist, soak them once a week---they die. Forget to water them at all, they die. Argh!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Air plants are fairly easy to grow. They do need to be watered despite their name :) I never fertilize but there are special air plant fertilizers out there. It's probably just a very diluted regular houseplant solution. Some types of air plants do best in a humid environment. A small greenhouse-like enclosure works well, like plant plant placed over a small humidity tray and a jar placed over the plant but not completely to allow air to circulate (I use a pen to prop the jar up slightly). I buy my air plants from a local garden center during the warmer months. They have a fairly large selection of various types and sizes of air plants.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My air plants don't die from the root---they start turning brown on the tips and once that starts it doesn't matter what I do, they're done for. The ones in the bathroom are doing fine so maybe it's a humidity issue.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like it is a humidity issue then. Some types of air plants are more finicky than others about humidity. Do you know which types you have?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know what you can do? When you take a shower or bath, put the air plants on the counter or wherever there is space so they can soak in the humidity. Leave the air plants in the bathroom with the door closed for half an hour or so after you're done so they can soak up as much humidity as possible.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really jelly over everyone's house plants. My kitty Milly won't let us have normal house plants! lol.

I have two plants: cacti. We keep them up and away from Milly, in one of our kitchen windows.

She also won't let us have a Christmas tree, so this is where we have put our copse of mini bottle brush Christmas trees this year, in the same window alongside one of our cacti.

We took a flash photo and a non-flash photo at dusk the other day:

Milly-abominable19Dec2019-a.jpg

Milly-abominable19Dec2019-b.jpg