Veteran
Purraise
Beautiful amaryllis:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a sucker for plants this time of year :paperbag: Dreary winter weather leaves one craving for signs of spring. I picked up a Pilea Peperomioides (aka Chinese Money Plant) at the supermarket today. It was packaged in a box with two smaller pots of just soil and seed that are meant for sharing with others. The plant I chose was the healthiest of the few available. It already has at least 4 smaller sprouts that can be repotted into their own plants. The plant is non toxic to cats but I know Leroy will chomp on a leaf and then :barf::doh: I'll keep the plant at home for now in my Ikea greenhouse. When it warms up, I'll take the pot outside to split up the sprouts and re-pot them and take one or two to work. If anyone would like a sprout or one of the pots with just seed and soil, send me a PM.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a sucker for plants this time of year :paperbag: Dreary winter weather leaves one craving for signs of spring. I picked up a Pilea Peperomioides (aka Chinese Money Plant) at the supermarket today. It was packaged in a box with two smaller pots of just soil and seed that are meant for sharing with others. The plant I chose was the healthiest of the few available. It already has at least 4 smaller sprouts that can be repotted into their own plants. The plant is non toxic to cats but I know Leroy will chomp on a leaf and then :barf::doh: I'll keep the plant at home for now in my Ikea greenhouse. When it warms up, I'll take the pot outside to split up the sprouts and re-pot them and take one or two to work. If anyone would like a sprout or one of the pots with just seed and soil, send me a PM.

In Belgium, it is also called 'pannekoekenplant' (pancake plant)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I picked up a mini African Violet from Wegmans yesterday. I was there three days prior and saw a different mini plant but they didn't have it yesterday. Kind of odd that displays and selection can change so quickly :ruminating: The African Violet will live at work.
IMG_4911 (2).JPG

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Good idea for a thread.. I love indoor plants but have such a huge garden I don't have so much time for them.
I do have a couple though.. it's bedtime here so I'll post in the morning. :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't taken the mini AV to work yet. I want to re-pot it in better soil first. I think it's too warm and sunny in my bedroom for it. The flowers have mostly wilted :sigh:

I plan to swap out the Crispy Wave fern (Japanese asplenium nidus)at work with one of the Pilea Peperomioides plants I have at home. The fern has mostly brown leaves due to the cool temperature and low humidity at work.

I saw some neat succulents at the market today: a "Hobbit" jade, Senecio Vitalis, Princess Pine (Crassula muscosa), and Jelly Bean (Sedum Rubrotinctum). So tempting to buy :ruminating: I've never had good luck with succulents in the past but maybe they'll do ok at work instead of at home.

I still want a Streptocarpus plant. I'll have to check the garden center. I need to go at some point to get a new air plant for work.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
My schlumbergera. I moved them all out of their individual pots and into one large pot. They've been exploding with new segments these past 2 months.

The seeds I took from my mom's chinese everygreen finally started sprouting. They take at least 3 months to germinate.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I moved my smaller Pilea plant to work today. The one plant I bought (picture above) had the parent plant and a few small baby plants. The Crispy Wave fern I had at work since last summer turned brown and was pretty much dead :frown: I suspect someone was overwatering the plant. I hadn't needed to water the fern in like a month because the soil was always damp. Plus it's on the cool and dry side at work and ferns like tropical conditions. I'm going to put a "do not water" sign on the Pilea.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found a great book at the library about caring for house plants and with a suggested list of easy to care for plants :)

How to Houseplant: A Beginner’s Guide to Making and Keeping Plant Friends Hardcover by Heather Rodino

It's easy to understand and I really like the quick at -a-glance basic info on each plant's care requirement. There's even a pet friendly list of plants :)

I hope my Pilea p. survives at work:crossfingers: Someone has been over watering it daily despite a "Do not water" sign on the pot :bat: I've taken to moving the pot from the windowsill to my cubicle bookshelf at the end of the day. It'll be ok in the dark overnight.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My new air plants:

I really just need one for work but couldn't resist getting a few more as "future replacements" ;)

There were a lot of air plants at the garden center today. Not too much for other indoor plants, though. Just the usual succulents, lots of Pilea p. in two pot sizes, Prayer plants, Snake plants, etc. There were no Crispy Wave ferns today :disappointed: I kind of wanted one to replace the unhealthy one I have at home but it's not a big deal. No African Violets or Venus Fly trap plants either :headscratch: Maybe later in the season the offerings will change.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What's new with everyone's plants? Any new pictures, new plants, etc? Plants you want to have :ruminating: but can't because they are toxic to cats?

I found a Crispy wave fern at the garden center today:

I re potted it into a nicer pot as soon as I got home. It was pretty root bound in the plastic pot and the outside roots were pretty brown and dead. I had to pry the mass apart to expose the healthier roots to the new potting mix. Hopefully the plant will live :crossfingers:

I picked up two more air plants:paperbag: One is to replace the one in the floating air plant holder we have at work. The other I'll keep at home since I have plenty of air plants on my desk at the moment.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my spider plant has passed on. I'm not at all sure I'm going to try another anything. My high point was my Boston Ferns which lived to
be 25 years, moved them in wardrobe boxes. since then I finish off anything indoors. (outdoors I've always finished plants off before they get started.) I suppose it's one of those to everything there is a season and my plant season is over.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my spider plant has passed on.
:alright:

I'm really into air plants these days:paperbag: They're very low maintenance. Most just need a misting every few days. There's a whole debate on soaking in a bowl of water vs misting. I've found that some can handle soaking but not others. I'm not sure if air plants are toxic to cats or not but the ones I have at home are small enough to keep out of each from the cats.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I just bought a "string of pearls" plant that I need to repot -

IMG_0502.JPG