Share Your Indoor Plant Pictures

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't want to hijack the thread on Aero Gardens so I'm starting a new thread.

I currently have 3 plants, a "Crispy Wave" fern (Japanese Asplenium nidus Fern) and two air plants at home. At work I have another "Crispy wave" fern and two air plants and an air plant that I've "adopted" because no one else waters it or anything. Work got one of those floating air plant things for the board room.

The ferns. The one on the left I got from a garden center and is now at work. The other one I got from the supermarket and clearly shows it was neglected there. Now several months later, the home fern is still scrawny and not very healthy looking :headscratch:

The fern at work. It's grown a lot.

One of the air plants at work. I think the pot is supposed to be a cat.

@m3rma1d I found pics of the mini violets I had years ago:

What plants do you have at home or work?:daisy:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
...if you haven't already, you could try repotting the grocery store fern maybe with some fresh soil?
What an attractive plant in general, I wasn't familiar with them :)
I have four of these (I always forget what they're called), three are in dirt and one is a hydroponic "version", and some cat grass.

Attachments

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
...if you haven't already, you could try repotting the grocery store fern maybe with some fresh soil?
What an attractive plant in general, I wasn't familiar with them :)
I have four of these (I always forget what they're called), three are in dirt and one is a hydroponic "version", and some cat grass.
Philodendron! I have a couple of those because they’ll grow in almost any lighting condition.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom how do you keep the kit out of the Philodendron? I love Philodendron, for one thing they are easy and hard to kill, but I'm terrified Sweet Gum will get into it, and the puppy of course. Puppy can reach as high as my head, just discovered.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are pothos, aren't they? The pics are a bit dark but I think so. Pothos aren't toxic. How do you keep yours looking dense and bushy? Mine get leggy and sparse after a while.
Know your plants: how to tell the difference between a philodendron and a pothos

I have some lovely Christmas cacti at work, 2 spider plants, and a baby pothos (I have to repot it so it can get bigger). I have a large Northern window at work so they get enough light and are doing great. At home I don't really get enough light. I have a few succulents but they don't look terrific. I just bought a plant light so hopefully that helps.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
If it were up to me, we'd have no plants, or maybe some plastic ones. I love the idea of having plants, but I always forget about that watering part. :lol2:

Luckily for me, my spouse has a very green thumb. He grew this monster elephant ear plant from a scrawny thing I almost killed.

IMG_0028.jpeg

He grows orchids, too.

IMG_0026.jpeg

IMG_0029.jpeg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I only have 3 inside plants - 2 Christmas Cactus, and 1 African Violet. Both are cat safe. Though not necessarily safe from the cat.

One day I heard the lovely sound of a cat vomiting and found Ruby had vomited a liquid with little green pieces of Christmas Cactus leaves in it. I, being a worrywart, called the emergency vet, just to confirm it wasn't poisonous. It wasn't, and Ruby was fine.

Here's some pics:

My baby Christmas Cactus from 2016. That's not where it stays, but was there just to take the picture.
....cc2016.jpg

Current pic of my larger Christmas Cactus. If you look closely, you'll see a mangled (aka chewed) leaf on the bottom right. :sigh:

....cc2019.jpg

Current pic of African Violet. (I think it's thirsty)
...av2019.jpg

African violet flower from 2015:

...av2015.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He grew this monster elephant ear plant from a scrawny thing I almost killed.
WOW!!

we even had bananas :banana1::banana1::banana1:
Nicely done :)

I also grow African violets.
Those are so gorgeous! I always thought they were quite finicky to grow, so my hat is off to all of you who can manage these :worship:

Puppy can reach as high as my head, just discovered.
oh my!
Most of the interest the Big Fella had in the plants was the surface of the soil as opposed to the plant itself - I guess because there for a bit I was overwatering just enough to have those annoying little gnats, and I think he was playing with them because I'd find dirt scattered around one of the pots in particular. Or, now that I think about it, this was in the days before he had access to supervised time in the backyard, and I don't think his former mama had plants, plus he didn't know anything except a strictly indoor life, so it could be that he was simply fascinated by dirt LOL

How do you keep yours looking dense and bushy?
Sorry about that - I was thinking I should have adjusted the picture before I posted it.
I repot them every spring so they have fresh soil, and every now and then during the year I take them outside if the weather allows me to get them out, hosed and dried enough to bring them back inside before the intense sun comes around in the afternoon, (or I put them in the shower) to give the leaves a bath to get the dust off. And, I give them a trimming every six months or so.

K Kflowers , you could try a pothos where you get a decent sized vase, fill it with water and place a couple of strands of pothos in it, --with no leaves below the water line. Fresh cuttings work just fine - you don't need any roots on them to start them. No fuss no muss, just keep the water level up and they're so forgiving they don't really care too much of the water level falls below any roots that develop higher on the strand :) Just be sure you don't care too much about the finish on whatever you have the vase on, there's inevitably some water that goes where it isn't supposed to LOL

Attachments

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom , thank you. I gave up on worrying about furniture when I got cats.

for awhile I was good with plants. They passed from old age - Boston Ferns made it to 20 then that was that. Actually, they might have gone on but I broke my arm and had my own 'cage rest' which meant I lost the strength to repot in time.

I tried a spider plant, which was lovely, but gave it too much light and killed it. That was actually depressing. losing the ferns was depressing. I'd moved with them in wardrobe boxes. Re-potting is everything to ferns.:frown:

I can't believe I got attached to the ferns and the poor spider plant.

I was thinking silk plants. I'll see if I can arrange a place the puppy can't reach. They don't continue to grow longer/taller after age 3, do they?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I did re-pot the supermarket fern right away. It's still not growing:headscratch: Maybe it was just an unhealthy plant to begin with :dunno: I plan on getting another one but from the garden center.

Some standard AVs I've had in the past at various times at the previous job when I had a desk:

And a mini orchid:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any suggestions for a low maintenance indoor plant for work? I love plants but try not to keep many at home (*eyes Leroy*). The temperature at work can be on the cool side:cold: and humidity is low. There's several north and west facing windows with roomy sills. I could put a small one on my desk if I get a small grow lamp. The ceiling lights aren't the best. I'm tempted to buy one of those spring bulbs in a pot but it feels like such a waste to discard the bulb after it blooms. Re-forcing the bulb for the next season isn't recommended by several web sites I looked at.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Any suggestions for a low maintenance indoor plant for work?
I would think one of those philodendrons would work well or a snake plant. I have both in my breezeway where I have the heat set to 55 in the winter and I am awful about watering and I haven't managed to kill either yet.

I'll have to take pics of some of my half-dead plants. :cringe: I am awful about watering.