Share Your Experience of Cat With Heart Failure

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My 11 year old cat recently get diagnosed with heart failure.

From talking to my vet, I get a bit of mixed messages. On one hand things sound really bleak. For example, my also was diagnosed with hyperthroidism. I wanted to get the radioactive iodine treatment for the hyperthroidism but my vet pretty much said because of the heart failure, probably don't want to spend the money on the iodine treatment (implying I think that the can't is probably not going to live that long for the iodine treatment to be worthwhile).

I talked to the vet on the phone yesterday and she mentioned on the heart blood test (sorry, I don't know the name of the test) came back high like over 600 but regular is about 100. She did mention about risks of cats with heart failure. One if blot clots that can lead to paralysis on hind legs. But she also mentioned there is medication cats can take with heart failure (not a cure but for managing).

Where things are, on Tuesday my cat is scheduled for an ultrasound to see the extent of the damage to the heart. I try to be but am not hopeful for the results. Also, if the vet mentions about meds to slow down the heat failure, I don't know if that'll be a way to go or to think about letting my cat go. My mind says to not be selfish for myself and let the cat go. But the tought just breaks my heart.

For those who are going or have gone a similar experience, what was it like (good or bad). Did you try to medicate and extend your cat's life? If so, how was that like? Did you have regrets later on or were glad you tried? Or were you at peace (as much as possible) with letting your loved one go?

Thanks in advance.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
probably don't want to spend the money on the iodine treatment
I do not have experience with this, but I do with hyper-T, which could be causing high blood pressure.

Would you and your vet consider the Hills y/d diet? It doesn't take very long at all (3 weeks) to control the hyper-T which I would think would be a positive for your kitty's heart.

I personally think that managing the Hyper-T right now, and then, depending on the outcome of the ultrasound regarding the condition of the heart, managing both conditions could be a definite possibility.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Heart Failure in Cats - Cat Owners - Merck Veterinary Manual
heart-disease-cardiomyopathy-in-cats | VCA Animal Hospital

Try to read up a little bit about heart disease in cats. The articles above might help, but there are numerous others. Ask your vet for very specific answers as to what is going on and for complete explanations of all test results.

I have a 6 year old cat with HCM who, while not facing heart failure, is doing well. There are medications which you should discuss with your vet. They well may help prolong the life of your cat and control the condition.

The ECG is very important and will help to answer questions. Glad that you are having that done.

I would personally consider treatment, unless you are given a dire prognosis by the vet, and even then I might get a second opinion.

All test results are yours and have to be given to you or sent to another vet with whom you consult.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know really can't make any decisions until hear about test results. But that doesn't start my mind from doing a lot of "what if's" and twists my minds up in knots. From reading, seems if a cat needs ongoing medication for the heart failure, it's possible the medication could make things worse (I guess, for example, if not precisely following the dosage instructions, and that leads to a blood clot?). On one hand I wouldn't want regret thinking kitty suffered because of me holding on. Yet at the same time, the thought of letting go is heartbreaking.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wait until you hear the results of the testing, and don't forget to ask your vet is this can be related to the hyperthyroidism. You need more information before trying to figure out what the exact issue is and how it might be treated. Heart issues associated with hyperthyroidism can be reversed when the thyroid issue is treated.