Share your cat's funny habits

zsu1980

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So our ginger tabby boy Thor is now all settled in our house and his funny / quirky personality is starting to shine. He is definitely not a lap cat but wants to be near people all the time. He loudly meows until he gets attention and petting when he wants it LOL These are the funny things he has been doing lately: 1) He is obsessed with string, ropes, shoe laces etc. He pulls them out of hoodies and shoes and carries them around in his mouth. He brings one to each family member as a gift each morning. We have a joke in our house … we try to figure out what the secret message is by how he arranges the strings. He has made a noose, an exclamation mark and a question mark in my son's room so far. I told him he should watch his back because Thor is out to get him LOL 2) Thor loves to playfully attack the lower legs. He literally hides behind corners and waits patiently until someone comes around just to bounce out standing on his hind paws with front paws in the air grabbing on the legs. He does not scratch just grabs with his paws claws remaining inside and he bites very gently. It is definitely playing and not aggressive. Then he turns a 180 and gallops away. When he gets excited like that he gallops around the house several times LOL It makes the funniest sound on hard wood floors when this 13 lbs big boy bounces around happily 3) He gives kisses … and this is the sweetest thing by far. He always comes and greets us when we get home. He likes to jump up on something and be face level. Then he comes all the way up to our faces and touches his nose to our nose or lips. So sweet and loveable.

So what are the funny / quirky things your cats do? Please share...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Feeby (16+ yo) has a morning routine that includes 'butt pats'.

She first squawks at me to make sure I know she is waiting to be fed breakfast. She sees me head to the kitchen and takes the lead while continually looking back to make sure I am right behind her. She sits down in front of her food station while I get her breakfast ready, eats a portion of it, goes to her favorite water dish on the patio for a drink, comes back to the food dish for a second round, and then back to the patio. By this time, I am pretty much done with the basic chores I do before reading the news on the patio, and she is there waiting for me to arrive.

I sit down, and she immediately comes over and turns her 'booty' toward me so I can pat (like a drum) out a tune on her left or right back side. Once I finish, she immediately turns around so I can repeat the process on the other side of her back end. After that, she goes for more water, more food, and then a nap!

I can't even remember when this routine even got started, but it is EVERY morning!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow hisses at her toys or the walls when she plays herself and at odd times like in the midst of grooming or while just sitting by herself in the room. These aren’t hisses of fear or pain or anger. She seems quite calm and happy at the time and out pops a hiss that seems to even surprise her. It’s very odd and very cute.

CJW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pickles will Put her raised front paws on my legs telling me to pick her up. She often hops onto my shoulders, then nuzzles my cheeks before laying down across my shoulders, and wants to stay there. otherwise she wants to be picked up and just held across my arm, on her back with her front paws stretched out as far as they will reach. I have thought she might be part rag doll, as I’ve heard others describe this behavior. When she wants attention or to be held, she will meow so loudly it hurts my ears. It is definitely attention getting. 7AC97779-CCEA-466F-9891-4540C33CEC37.jpeg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Ever since the pandemic and gyms/fitness centers were closed I started doing yoga/exercises at home. Carleton was intrigued and thinks my yoga mat is a new comfy spot for him to stretch out and relax. I love having him keep me company but never thought I'd have a new furry yoga partner. :biggrin:

IMG_0842.jpeg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Jumanji is obsessed with the toilet. She has a ritual in the evening while I’m reading in bed where she’ll go stare at the toilet bowl for a solid 5 minutes. I wouldn’t mind, but she’s too smart for her own good, and knows how to flush the toilet, despite it being a button on the top of the toilet (which is a bit small for her paws), rather than a lever. First time it happened was fairly shortly after I brought the little gremlin home, at 3am. It woke me up, and my first half-asleep thought was “wow, thieves nowadays sure are shameless. Breaking in and using someone toilet when they’re sleeping right nearby”. Fortunately she doesn’t play with the flusher too often nowadays, but she does have her moments.

My weirdo has a fountain next to my bed, which is closer than the bathroom, and she seems to like, so I’d appreciate any thoughts on why she might love the toilet so much.
19E455C8-A3C3-4D97-AF09-7D757B14DA84.jpeg F7F8C8F9-6200-4417-95AA-40C7D66F30A1.jpeg

She also has a ritual of climbing into the kitchen sink after I’m done cleaning it. She’ll take her time circling it before plonking down and curling into a ball to take up the entire space. When she’s thoroughly done scent marking the entire thing, she’ll make a show of rubbing her mouth and cheeks along the faucet to get me to turn it on, so she can play and have a bit of a drink. She can do it herself, but she has trouble opening it just a little so it’s a trickle, rather than full blast. All said and done, her entire guard hair layer is a bit wet, and her entire head and ears usually end up soaked, much like her paws lmao.
39787113-1D93-47B6-B03B-C6DC9732ACF6.jpeg 429C8720-9065-44CB-8A4E-E99D830D6B3D.jpeg

Last edited:

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Minish (6) has a morning routine. Of course the beginning is waking me up to be fed. She changed methods over the years but whatever she does (the latest is chirping like a bird at the night stand), when she is sure I'm awake, she acts as if this is a surprise for her,first running out of the bedroom and then making a cool comeback saying meow :)
When I'm in the bathroom before I feed her, she flanks the toilet and bowl parallel to my position and makes a mock spraying. After I flush, she leans into the bowl as if it's the first time she ever saw water swirl down a hole. This last part is her kittenhood habit and she's been doing it only mornings since she was 1.

Another is she has a violence corner which I had encouraged while she was teething. Normally she never plays with claws or teeth but when she is agitated, she runs and perches herself there (handles of my exercise bike wrapped in sisal), remains in full attack mode before she settles. The funny part is she looks like a rabbit although she believes herself a lion or something..

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Graham has this habit of plopping down at any place in the house no matter if she is on top of a cabinet or dresser each time I look at her and call her name. One time she probably forgot that she was at the edge of a dresser and fell, much to my horror. The moment she drops down on the ground or any surface she would then wriggle like a worm while having these chirpy sounds, and won't stop until I give her a belly scratch.

I have always believed she is a dog trapped in a cat's body.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue has started an obsession with the framed photos that live on my dresser..he knocks them down and puts them under the bed..I put them back up..he takes them down.
Been going on for 2 weeks now. :headscratch:
I am thinking maybe he is seeing his reflection in the glass and wants to hide his new friends...dunno.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I sometimes leave Sango her wand toy on the floor once she grows bored of it. When she decides she wants it again, she puts it in her mouth and starts meowing that she got it. She does this regularly when I play with the wand and she catches it too. It’s pretty funny with the larger toys because her meows are muffled.

Sometimes she likes to meow after she drinks water and that’s pretty funny too because it sounds like a half gurgle noise. She’s a very talkative lady and constantly trills and wants a conversation about everything LOL

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maurey Maurey That is so funny. Love the photos. I have water loving cats too. I got them a child’s wading pool. Kitty pool. Lol I think the flushing toilet would be fascinating because it makes things vanish! Where does the water go? Watch out for disappearing cat toys next!
All these kitties have their own purrsonalities. Every one of them does something funny. Lady will grab a stuffed toy (about the size of a kitten) to alert me to any kitty that is outside. She meows loudly while it is in her mouth and she takes the toy to the door.
Banjo is in love with a tree frog. That’s been going on for a couple of years now. She sings to the frog and gently kisses him through the glass door. The frog gets inside sometimes and Banjo always protects him from the other cats. Fairytale love story. If she kisses him enough, maybe he will turn into her Prince!

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
one of my 3 year old siamese mixes - a 15 lb whopper of a girl - not overweight but all muscle - nurses on my ear lobe when she feels extra lovey- sitting on my chest ... my kitten ( now 8 months old) has the habit of jumping onto my shoulder out of nowhere to get some extra love ... my otherwise aloof Ragdoll kitten has figured out that - if he follows me into my walk in closet in the morning to get clothes ( usually an off limit area for cats but he is a skilled door darter) - he can get me all to himself and starts purring for extra love and cuddles, m other Ragdoll will sit at the sink as soon as he sees me coming meowing loudly until I turn on the water for a sip and ... to wash his paws , my other siamese mix adult loves water period and delights in playing in a water dish , all of them push all their pet mice under doors and expect me to retrieve them and give them back. One of the kittens will throw pet mice into the air to chase them ... The girls both love to catch Dabird out of the air- with their mouth but ... will only go for it if it is high in the air ... when they caught it , they look at me proudly and bring me the catch ( as I am clearly an iincompetent hunter lol)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So our ginger tabby boy Thor is now all settled in our house and his funny / quirky personality is starting to shine. He is definitely not a lap cat but wants to be near people all the time. He loudly meows until he gets attention and petting when he wants it LOL These are the funny things he has been doing lately: 1) He is obsessed with string, ropes, shoe laces etc. He pulls them out of hoodies and shoes and carries them around in his mouth. He brings one to each family member as a gift each morning. We have a joke in our house … we try to figure out what the secret message is by how he arranges the strings. He has made a noose, an exclamation mark and a question mark in my son's room so far. I told him he should watch his back because Thor is out to get him LOL 2) Thor loves to playfully attack the lower legs. He literally hides behind corners and waits patiently until someone comes around just to bounce out standing on his hind paws with front paws in the air grabbing on the legs. He does not scratch just grabs with his paws claws remaining inside and he bites very gently. It is definitely playing and not aggressive. Then he turns a 180 and gallops away. When he gets excited like that he gallops around the house several times LOL It makes the funniest sound on hard wood floors when this 13 lbs big boy bounces around happily 3) He gives kisses … and this is the sweetest thing by far. He always comes and greets us when we get home. He likes to jump up on something and be face level. Then he comes all the way up to our faces and touches his nose to our nose or lips. So sweet and loveable.

So what are the funny / quirky things your cats do? Please share...
Thor is quite a character, isn't he? My beloved angel Samuda once jumped up on a chair grabbed the old sweater our angel Marley used as a bed, and ran off to another room with it. I got a series of pix of this occurring. It was so funny! He was very determined.
And cats, especially young cats, often play the tagging game like that. My angel Tarifa would give love bites quite frequently, and shiver her tail at me when she was very happy. Baby Su and Elvis sometimes give "nose boops" too!
IMG_1799.JPG
IMG_1791.JPG

Baby Su and Elvis

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Graham has this habit of plopping down at any place in the house no matter if she is on top of a cabinet or dresser each time I look at her and call her name. One time she probably forgot that she was at the edge of a dresser and fell, much to my horror. The moment she drops down on the ground or any surface she would then wriggle like a worm while having these chirpy sounds, and won't stop until I give her a belly scratch.

I have always believed she is a dog trapped in a cat's body.
Elvis does that too, Maria Bayote Maria Bayote -- he throws himself in front of my feet, rolling and grinning.

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Zyla LOVES attention! she needs it all day long. I swear she talks to me! she will look into my eyes when I talk to her and I admit I carry full conversations with her lol! she isn't a lap cat but she will lay at my feet if I'm sitting or lay somewhere close by. When she wants to play she runs along the bottom of the couch and it's hilarious. She makes me laugh everyday. She also has a different meow for every mood!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Seal will rub the top his head against my arms when I hold him. Then he rubs the top of his head against my face. At this point, I am supposed to kiss the top of his head complete with kissy noises. He gives me a look of disappointment if I don't. :lol:

Tiger is still isolated and when I come into his room he starts chattering up a storm. Poweet, meep chirp and squeak! Even if I have food, pets are the first thing he wants. :redheartpump: